Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OAKLEY ON CARTER: While the Toronto Raptors were happy to get rid of star guard Vince Carter, former Bulls forward Charles Oakley knows why Carter is playing well again for the New Jersey Nets and has them contending for the playoffs.

"He knows Jason Kidd will put his foot up his [butt] if he doesn't play like he is capable,'' Oakley said. "When Antonio Davis and I were his teammates on the Raptors, we'd chew his [butt] out when he was playing beneath his talent. He thought we were his enemies when we were really his best friends because we were trying to help him be the best.

"But the Raptors organization spoiled him. They had guys in basketball management who didn't ... stand up to him. They would let him have his way. Then when they brought Lenny Wilkens in to coach, Lenny also let Vince have his way and Vince got so bad they had to trade him. Now, everybody sees that he still always had the ability to dominate a game. Kidd is bringing out the best in him.''
http://www.suntimes.com/output/banks/cst-spt-banx271.html

·
Chillin'
20,141 Posts
Yup, definitely. Getting rid of Charles Oakley was one of the biggest mistakes in Raptors history - if not the biggest. He was the one who won the series against the Knicks for us. If it wasn't for him lighting a fire under Vince's ***, we would have been swept again.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
nice find Turkish, and i couldnt agree with Oak more...i think Oak is the man...and he did bring out the best inVince Carter...i dont remember...what happen to Oakley did we trade him or did he leave?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Budweiser_Boy said:
Yup, definitely. Getting rid of Charles Oakley was one of the biggest mistakes in Raptors history - if not the biggest. He was the one who won the series against the Knicks for us. If it wasn't for him lighting a fire under Vince's ***, we would have been swept again.
I'm not so sure about being one of the biggest mistakes. After the trade, Oakley hasn't done much at all. As well, he wouldn't have been much help with Vince being injured for a couple years after that.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
crimsonice said:
I'm not so sure about being one of the biggest mistakes. After the trade, Oakley hasn't done much at all. As well, he wouldn't have been much help with Vince being injured for a couple years after that.
oakley was never one of the greatest players...i still blame the loss in philly on him...he tried to drive on Iverson.....but everybody loved his honesty and leadership....i loved him for being on VC's *** chewing him out....telling him to step it up...and play better....

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
BaLLiStiX17 said:
do u think someone else instead of vince should of took the shot?
Well Vince was our franchise player so I'm not surprised the ball went to him, but if it didn't go to him, I would have liked it to go to Dell Curry.
He was on fire from beyond the arc in that game.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
BaLLiStiX17 said:
do u think someone else instead of vince should of took the shot?
no

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Cant Agree More Wit Charles.. His The Man, Period.

·
STL4LIFE
5,841 Posts
They should have dumpt Wilkins over Lenny when they had that dispute.

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
Hard to argue with the oak man, i could definetly see him being a coach in this league one day, maybe not a head coach but definetly an assistant

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
madman said:
Hard to argue with the oak man, i could definetly see him being a coach in this league one day, maybe not a head coach but definetly an assistant
there's already rumours flying around that oak could be an assistant with the raps...

·
Premium Member
17,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
trick said:
there's already rumours flying around that oak could be an assistant with the raps...

Is that actually a possibility?
I would love to see that happen, he would definately be able to motivate our young players.

·
Fear The Red
8,910 Posts
Turkish Delight said:
Is that actually a possibility?
I would love to see that happen, he would definately be able to motivate our young players.
im not sure about that, i think that he and Bosh would clash for some reason, Oak is outspoken and Bosh is softspoken, and anything to keep bosh happy we should do

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
rose isn't soft-spoken, and he's already become a mentor to bosh already but it's not like bosh is the type of player that needs someone on his grill all the time to play to his utmost level.

still, i don't know what oak could bring to this team if he were to become an assistant. if it were to push the right buttons on people, i think mitchell has that attribute already.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
This franchise definately learned its lesson when it comes to dealing with a "franchise" player. It was too bad our first one was an unmotivated mommas boy, but at least our new franchise player seems self motivated

1 - 20 of 21 Posts