Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
“I’m actually hoping, and saying my prayers, that I can come back before the end of this season,” says Oden, who underwent surgery on Dec. 7 to repair a fractured left patella.

What do the Blazers’ medical experts, including team doctor Don Roberts and trainer Jay Jensen, have to say about that? “They haven’t dismissed the idea,” Oden says.

General Manager Kevin Pritchard confirms Oden’s version.

“It’s possible, but you know, we’ll play this by ear, and we’ll be very cautious,” Pritchard says. “We’re not going to push. We’ll let it happen naturally and follow what the doctor orders.”

Oden’s knee is braced to keep him from bending it. He has just moved from walking with crutches to using a cane.
http://www.portlandtribune.com/sports/print_story.php?story_id=126348650228171100

·
Super Moderator
21,879 Posts
Using a cane? And he wants to play by the end of the season? Even if there is some merit to this and it's not just wishful thinking, unless they are 100% convinced they can win a title this year I wouldn't let him play, regardless of what the doctors say.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
Hey he's not using crutches!

They have his knee so he can not bend it so the need for the cane.

If he's fully healthy there is no reason for him not to play. He has to play sometime. Of course if there is any doubt he should wait. We all know the flack the Blazers would take if he comes back and injures himself again.

I want to add that this was a clean break nothing like the surgey he had last time or like the injury Joel had.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Using a cane? And he wants to play by the end of the season? Even if there is some merit to this and it's not just wishful thinking, unless they are 100% convinced they can win a title this year I wouldn't let him play, regardless of what the doctors say.
Well when a person moves from crutches to a cane, that is actually pretty good. However, with so many people injured, rushing Oden back just seems like a bad idea. I say keep seeing what else you have in some of your other guys because for Portland, anything playoffs and beyond is just gravy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts