Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-heat04feb04,0,7438795.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Odom agreed that it might take more than half a season to alter negative perceptions that linger from his underachieving Clippers years.

"It's what I expected," Odom said. "It's an honor to be mentioned in the same breath as some of those guys. It'll make me play a little harder."

-----

"[Odom] worked extremely hard to be on it and he's really been a part of what we've done since the first part of the year, having a resurgence," coach Stan Van Gundy said. "To have that go unrecognized, it's very disappointing."

Odom, who is averaging 16.9 points, 9.8 rebounds and 4.2 assists, has far better numbers than Magloire, but because the East has few top-tier centers and an abundance of top-caliber guards, the Hornets' big man, averaging 11.7 points and 9.6 boards, earned his first bid.

----

Odom will have a chance to vent his disappointment tonight against Martin and the hot Nets. Martin is averaging career highs in points (17.5), rebounds (9.7) and shooting percentage (49.5).

"It's not personal, but of course I'm going to be excited, not just for that game but for the rest of the season," Odom said. "I'm still proving myself. Sometimes I play better when I'm a little angry.

"My time will come. I'm only 24. I feel like I'm having a great year. We've just got to keep playing and hopefully get into the playoffs, so they'll feel maybe they missed me."

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
underachieving Clipper years? Did you notice that both of his first two years are very comparable to his season right now? Just thought I would point that out.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I wish people would quit blaming Magloire, what are you gonna do, not have a center. Pierce has had a crappy year, and his team sucks. Leave him off and put Odom or Lebron on. He was the true bad choice.

·
15 STRONG
27,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
why do you need a center in a all-star game?

yes atleast 1 for the starter slot but on the bench pick the 7 best players no matter what position...theres no defense in the game anyways...positions mean nothing in the all-star game

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ill subliminal</b>!
I wish people would quit blaming Magloire, what are you gonna do, not have a center. Pierce has had a crappy year, and his team sucks. Leave him off and put Odom or Lebron on. He was the true bad choice.
Pierce has had a "crappy year" to the tune of 23 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 3.5 APG, and 2 SPG (approx numbers). Boston "sucks" to the record of 22-27, better than both the Heat's 21-28 and the Cavs' 19-29.

The only player on the team that I believe Odom is clearly better than is Magloire, and the rules state there must be a backup center. Just because he didn't make the team doesn't mean he was snubbed. The voters simply went with another, just as worthy player (Pierce, Martin, whoever).

Maybe it's just me, but it's tiring to hear about how ever good player got "snubbed" out of their all-star appearance. There's only 12 spots on the team, and there are more than 12 great players in each conference. Some are going to be left behind, that's just the way things are. Put Odom on the Pacers and add +1 to each of his five main stats -- if he doesn't make it then, then he'll have been snubbed. Not sending a 17/10/4 player from a non-playoff team is really not that awful.

Also, just because I'm sure it could be brought up, I have absolutely nothing against Odom or the Heat. I don't have feelings towards the Heat good or bad, and Odom was actually one of my favorite players early in his career.
Originally posted by <b>Caron_Butler</b>!
why do you need a center in a all-star game?

yes atleast 1 for the starter slot but on the bench pick the 7 best players no matter what position...theres no defense in the game anyways...positions mean nothing in the all-star game
That's just the way it is. No one's saying it's right (most people I've talked to seem to feel it's pretty dumb actually), that's just the rule.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
coulnt martin be considered as a pf/c....he plays like that anyway

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
1 - id rather have magloire than grant anyday (salary and gamewise).
2 - pierce is having an excellent year where he is doin his best to involve his teammates and not try to jack 30 shots a night.
3 - its bull**** tho that magkoire is an all-star and not odom.

15 minutes uarter games, no defense, put the best players on the floor and turn on the highlight film....

why the hell do we have to have a backup center if he does not belong to the calibre of players on the floor???

·
&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
1,596 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ill subliminal</b>!
I'm a fan of Magloire, but i don't see him as an all-star this year, but congrats to him.
I agree with you about Pierce, he hasn't stepped up to everyone expectations, with the departure of walker & considering his play last season he should be close to leading the league in scoring. The other reason I don't agree with him being selected, is the Celtics aren't doing so well, in comparision with how Lebron has turned around the Cavs. It's a close call, but I think most would agree it would be a more exciting game with James in it. Odom misses out cus you can't pick him over pierce of james. Maybe next year.

Edit: I forgot about Redd, James or Odom are just as worthy of his spot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts