Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should Lakers make this trade? Of course Lakers need more deals.
Penny and T Thomas are in the final year of the contracts next season.

New York trades: SG Anfernee Hardaway (7.3 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.0 apg in 24.2 minutes)
SF Tim Thomas (12.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.4 apg in 28.1 minutes)
New York receives: SF Devean George (4.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.0 apg in 9.5 minutes)
PF Lamar Odom (15.2 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 3.7 apg in 36.3 minutes)
C Brian Grant (3.5 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 0.4 apg in 16.0 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +3.1 ppg, +10.3 rpg, and +0.7 apg.

L.A. Lakers trades: SF Devean George (4.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 0.0 apg in 9.5 minutes)
PF Lamar Odom (15.2 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 3.7 apg in 36.3 minutes)
C Brian Grant (3.5 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 0.4 apg in 16.0 minutes)
L.A. Lakers receives: SG Anfernee Hardaway (7.3 ppg, 2.4 rpg, 2.0 apg in 24.2 minutes)
SF Tim Thomas (12.3 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 1.4 apg in 28.1 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -3.1 ppg, -10.3 rpg, and -0.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Reactions: Cap

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
If Kupchak wants to cement his reputation as the stupidest GM, he might make this trade.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
compsciguy78 said:
If Kupchak wants to cement his reputation as the stupidest GM, he might make this trade.
After next season, Lakers salaries are down over $33M. lakers can use $33M to sign FAs or trade ...........

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
compsciguy78 said:
Mitch was Jerry West right hand man, during the mid 80's, threw the late 90's Dynasty squad, and now. His basketball mind is in part responsible for how the Lakers had continued it's legacy of great basketball. Hate on him now, I guess most fans feel they have to point a finger at someone. But all dynasty teams come to an end, The Bulls did, and now we have. Get your frustration out whatever way you see fit, but it will be interesting to see if you still think he's the stupidest GM, once we have rebuilt the team.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
IV said:
Mitch was Jerry West right hand man, during the mid 80's, threw the late 90's Dynasty squad, and now. His basketball mind is in part responsible for how the Lakers had continued it's legacy of great basketball. Hate on him now, I guess most fans feel they have to point a finger at someone. But all dynasty teams come to an end, The Bulls did, and now we have. Get your frustration out whatever way you see fit, but it will be interesting to see if you still think he's the stupidest GM, once we have rebuilt the team.

If the guy rebuilds the team right I will say he is not the stupidest GM, because at that point he won't be.

But up until this point, after Jerry West left, the guy has made some lame picks in the draft. If he makes this trade for TIm Thomas, which he won't in his right mind, then he would just add to his already growing list of dumb moves. When was the last time he made a move that made you say, "that was a great move". Signing Kobe could be it, but c'mon now people, signing Kobe was easy, especially when Kobe is the GM(ask Chucky Atkins about this one.)

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
ehmunro said:
Perhaps if New York included its lottery pick? The Lakers could walk out of the draft with a ready to go one guard and a 4 capable of putting back some of Kobe's misses and get back on their feet quickly. They already have Butler to play the 3.

Lakers are not in bad shape as far as players. They have some decent guys, they just need to learn to play together, and that takes compromise, respect, and all those good things.

You are right, if Lakers can get a good pick in the draft it will help, but I don't believe they are in bad as shape as everyone thinks. They almost made the playoffs with playing the worst defense in the league. They improve their defense, and they are a western conference playoff team able to beat some quality clubs. They get another legitimate all-star that can play with Kobe(this is the kicker), they are back near the top.

·
Ugliest SupMember
1,704 Posts
When you are in LA and not the Clippers, you have to do something to make your team win, period. Can the Lakers go anywhere with their current team? If that trade can lure a top FA to LA, why not? Kobe is there. They just need one or two more pieces to complete the puzzle. Odom and Grant have not shown to be the right pieces.

The Lakers have two players to build around alreday in Butler and Bryant. If they can get an All-star center and average PG then they would be pretty good.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Ballscientist said:
After next season, Lakers salaries are down over $33M. lakers can use $33M to sign FAs or trade ...........
33million for role players because no decent player would want to play with Kobe

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I can see NY doing it. they like big contracts LOL

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I wouldn't so quick to build this team around Kobe and Butler, especially if Phil Jackson has the intention to come back to coach the Lakers. With Odom's ball-handling skills, it'd be interesting to see how Odom and Kobe can mesh together (offensively) under Phil's teachings. Therefore, if Phil's coming back, then Odom's most probably staying.

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
compsciguy78 said:
Lakers are not in bad shape as far as players. They have some decent guys, they just need to learn to play together, and that takes compromise, respect, and all those good things.

You are right, if Lakers can get a good pick in the draft it will help, but I don't believe they are in bad as shape as everyone thinks. They almost made the playoffs with playing the worst defense in the league. They improve their defense, and they are a western conference playoff team able to beat some quality clubs. They get another legitimate all-star that can play with Kobe(this is the kicker), they are back near the top.
I don't think they're in terrible shape talent wise, but I don't see that giving up Lamar Odom for a buttload of cap space and a second lottery pick as a really bad deal, talent-wise. The Lakers have problems at the 4, because Lamar really isn't a 4 and isn't terribly aggressive on the offensive end. If LA came out of the draft with Aleksandrov and Deron Williams they'd have the makings of a top tier NBA team. I agree about the defensive improvement, but there's only so much room to improve, defensively, when Chucky Atkins and Chris Mihm are logging major minutes. Getting Atkins out of the starting lineup would be a huge upgrade for LA. Hell, if (ha, if, when is more like it in the WWEBA) they win the draft lottery that New York pick would be really valuable as it would allow them to ship both holes to the bench and focus there 2006 offseason free agent search on a strong defensive presence for the 4 (such as Tyson Chandler).

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
ehmunro said:
Perhaps if New York included its lottery pick? The Lakers could walk out of the draft with a ready to go one guard and a 4 capable of putting back some of Kobe's misses and get back on their feet quickly. They already have Butler to play the 3.
:yes:

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
compsciguy78 said:
If the guy rebuilds the team right I will say he is not the stupidest GM, because at that point he won't be.

But up until this point, after Jerry West left, the guy has made some lame picks in the draft. If he makes this trade for TIm Thomas, which he won't in his right mind, then he would just add to his already growing list of dumb moves. When was the last time he made a move that made you say, "that was a great move". Signing Kobe could be it, but c'mon now people, signing Kobe was easy, especially when Kobe is the GM(ask Chucky Atkins about this one.)
It's tough to make "great" picks in the draft when you usually drafting at the bottom of each round. I've believed that trades, or acquiring free agents are a better way to boost the team, as opposed to drafting well. We could get a good pick or two, just to have some young talent for the future. I hope that happens, but we'll become a better team once we can find the free agents or trades, the likes of: Ron Harpers, Horace Grants, Rick Foxs, Glen Rices, Brian Shaws..... good veteran players that can play a role, and know that role. Also veteran players that can mentor the team, like Bill Cartwright did in Chicago, or Ron Harper did for the guards in LA. That's what won us our most recent titles.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
I like it. Then the Lakers would have traded Shaq for Caron Butler, Tim Thomas and Penny Hardaway. How great is that?

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SeaNet said:
I like it. Then the Lakers would have traded Shaq for Caron Butler, Tim Thomas and Penny Hardaway. How great is that?
Use that money, Lakers can get (sign or deal) Yao, Amare and Nene in the summer of 2006.

Starters: Kobe, Yao, Amare, Nene. Butler or PG.

Lock for title for 7 yrs.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Ballscientist said:
Use that money, Lakers can get (sign or deal) Yao, Amare and Nene in the summer of 2006.

Starters: Kobe, Yao, Amare, Nene. Butler or PG.

Lock for title for 7 yrs.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good one!!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts