Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
5,910 Posts
Good for them. I'd like to see America East take baseball more seriously, especially if this whole gutting of MiLB happens (hope it doesn't, though).

·
5,910 Posts
I just put two and two together regarding MiLB. The Binghamton Rumble Ponies are one of the teams on the chopping block, that explains why this is going to include full VIP suites for fans.

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
121 Posts
Binghamton students are pissed, judging from the social media comments.

Hard to build a fanbase when your students resent the idea of them being prioritized.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
Binghamton students are pissed, judging from the social media comments.

Hard to build a fanbase when your students resent the idea of them being prioritized.
With all my deepest and sincerest due respect to the Binghamton students who are disgruntled, they can go screw themselves. This is not public money, this is a private donation that can be specified by the donor however they want. My guess is this, if the donor wasn't donating the 60 million specifically for baseball, the 60 mill would not be forthcoming at all. Who the hell are they to decide where someone else's generosity is to be spent?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With all my deepest and sincerest due respect to the Binghamton students who are disgruntled, they can go screw themselves. This is not public money, this is a private donation that can be specified by the donor however they want. My guess is this, if the donor wasn't donating the 60 million specifically for baseball, the 60 mill would not be forthcoming at all. Who the hell are they to decide where someone else's generosity is to be spent?
I once ran into an alumnus who said "in Binghamton, if you have an idea, half the people will tell you why it won't work, and the other half will just want a piece of the money."

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I'd be pissed if someone donated $60 million to Maine baseball instead of hockey, football or basketball.
Maine baseball only exists so the Winkin era alumni can get together and gladhand each other at one of Maine's three home games that isn't snowed out each year.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You beat me to it. These kids can go kick rocks. when they want to make a $60M donation they can direct the funds. As a binghamton alum, i am psyched about this contribution. It puts us on the map. The only bigger private donation was Simons Family Foundation twice to Stony Brook for $150M in 2011 and $60M in 2008.

What frustrates me most is nothing was taken away from anyone.The university is not taking money from the drama students and giving it to the baseball team. The only reason is some students are mad that other students are getting a benefit and not them. Just selfish. I am tired of people acting as if athletes are not students. Same with some teachers at binghamton who dont like sports and dont think we should be D1. Screw them their opinions mean nothing. These teachers in many cases are not alumni. They teach there to benefit the students not so the students can benefit them. I am sick and tired of this attitude.

We are a top headline on espn today.

·
5,910 Posts
You beat me to it. These kids can go kick rocks. when they want to make a $60M donation they can direct the funds. As a binghamton alum, i am psyched about this contribution. It puts us on the map. The only bigger private donation was Simons Family Foundation twice to Stony Brook for $150M in 2011 and $60M in 2008.

What frustrates me most is nothing was taken away from anyone.The university is not taking money from the drama students and giving it to the baseball team. The only reason is some students are mad that other students are getting a benefit and not them. Just selfish. I am tired of people acting as if athletes are not students. Same with some teachers at binghamton who dont like sports and dont think we should be D1. Screw them their opinions mean nothing. These teachers in many cases are not alumni. They teach there to benefit the students not so the students can benefit them. I am sick and tired of this attitude.

Unfortunately, that’s not what academia has become.

I only read comments on Reddit, I haven’t seen where else the kids hang out on the internets these days, but I did see one legitimate concern. Once the $60 million runs out, will that draw funds from the school maintain the program at the new level? My prediction, and this goes back to the whole MiLB thing, is that if the Rumble Ponies get cut, along with 41 other clubs and a whole level of play, BU will be the only baseball team in town, leading to ticket sales. I just don’t know if students there are really aware of that issue, or the trickledown effect the MiLB reduction will have on college baseball.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts

I'll confess to having similar thoughts. When I first saw the announcement, I thought that there are about 1000 ways the university could better use $60M. That is an unreal amount of money. But I quickly came around to the idea that -- "hey, it's their money and if that's how they want to spend it then good on them". Based on the comments that some seem to be making, one can understand (sadly) why the donor wants to remain anonymous. Who wants to try to do something good and then get ripped...

I don't put too much stock in the MiLB and Rumble Ponies theory. The college baseball season for home games is over in mid-May, unless you win the AE and get an extra weekend of hosting. Then, unless Binghamton becomes such a power that we are regularly hosting first round series in the NCAA tournament that beautiful facility is going to sit empty through June, July and August.

I also would not be surprised to see this spell the end of the tennis programs at Binghamton. They are going to have to KO about 12 tennis courts in order to build some of the facility and with the AE not sponsoring tennis anymore, it makes me wonder... No inside info or knowledge there, but it just makes me wonder.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I once ran into an alumnus who said "in Binghamton, if you have an idea, half the people will tell you why it won't work, and the other half will just want a piece of the money."
I'm not surprised to hear complaints, it's the Bearcat way.

I say this as a proud alum, Binghamton is the town to go to if you have a massive inferiority complex. Half the students mope around like Ivy League rejects, and the town lives in the ruins of its IBM days. I remember taking a men's health class (required), where we ended up spending a lecture talking about why half the town was staunchly against the athletic program going D-1. How was that even a question, the town paid nothing, the students pay $27 per credit for athletic fees. That can't pay for a round of shots at T&M's on a Friday night.

I know I'm speaking to choir here, but we're allowed to have nice things, Binghamton is a good place! A generous donor is giving the university a free, state of the art baseball complex, at the expense of no other school programs. Enjoy that fact or ignore it.

The vocal students complaining are likely picking their dinner out of a dumpster tonight, by choice. I respect their idealism to an extent, but you have to just ignore that portion of the student population if you want to get anything done.

·
Premium Member
33,085 Posts
$60M donor should give their money to the people that don’t have $60M- college students & Bernie.

But seriously, good thing these kids are at Binghamton and not a BCS school. Their head’s would explode adding up costs for the private jet travel for the school’s Golf team.

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
121 Posts
From what I read, it seems like Binghamton has a large depression problem on campus. What’s the chance that the resentment for this stadium is so high the students flat out refuse to go

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
On the one hand I kind of get the complaint. No one should have $60M to waste. And college baseball in the northeast isn't overly viable, this is a stadium that will be in use for like 3 weeks of the school year. And the point about BCS schools- the money those programs make and keep in their pockets and pay to administrators/coaches is obscene. LSU football makes ridiculous money, and gets huge donations, but the LSU library is water damaged and unusable because there is no money to fix it. A part of me thinks that we should completely untether athletics and academics. I also get the sensitivity at Binghamton, where the basically only athletic success the school has ever had came at the cost of about 45 felonies and an attempted murder.

On the other hand, if this guy wants to literally set $60M on fire (which again, small college baseball in the northeast...), well, go for it.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
People have mentioned the possibility of losing the Rumble Ponies in town as a possible uptick in interest for Binghamton Bearcat baseball. But just to look a it another way: is it possible the university can work out an arrangement with the Rumble Ponies to use this facility, in efforts to keep them off the chopping block?

Most of the teams on the MiLB hit list right now seem to be teams with "facility" issues (defined broadly). I'm not sure if that's specifically the case with the Ponies, but is this new facility one where the university could take on the team as a tenant, allowing the university to make a little money back in rent, while at the same time the team upgrades its experience to where it's again viewed as a viable minor league city?

It's not completely unprecedented. In the New York-Penn League, both the State College Spikes (Penn State) and West Virginia Black Bears (WVU) share facilities with college teams (with PSU's being on campus). Of course, those are both short-season teams so there's practically zero overlap with the seasons. And the concept of short-season baseball seems to be going by the wayside if this MiLB contraction proposal actually gains traction. But, it's an idea.

·
Premium Member
33,085 Posts
Is it best use of funds? Many reasonable, logical arguments can be made that of course it’s not. However, if someone wants to direct $60M towards building a baseball stadium, at a school like Binghamton in a region like that-personally I like to see these things happen in places like this and not just Urban, already vibrant cities- then what business is it of anyone else? At the end of the day, this is still a positive, extremely generous, outcome. This person could instead just buy a boat for themselves or (another) apartment in Manhattan, etc...

Finally, if it’s a single donor then this individual more than likely has previously given to the University in other areas and they also almost certainly have a net worth well north of 1bn; My guess is it’s one of the Susquehanna guys, but could be somebody else. Lol at the Reddit folks guessing Scott Diamond- he earned a couple mil over his MLB career.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts