Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Or we could eat the rich...

No, but seriously. Nationwide fewer college students are going to games. If that continues, there's going to be more of a feeling of "why the heck is the educational institution I am paying $60k/year to attend messing around with subsidizing an essentially professional football team while I have to work and take out student loans to be able to afford to be here?"

I realize that doesn't apply to Binghamton, but if the kids attending college care less about sports, and the cost of attending college continues to rise, and those kids turn into alumni with huge loan bills and no interest in sports teams, there probably should be a re-evaluation of what the heck we are doing here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
On the one hand I kind of get the complaint. No one should have $60M to waste. And college baseball in the northeast isn't overly viable, this is a stadium that will be in use for like 3 weeks of the school year. And the point about BCS schools- the money those programs make and keep in their pockets and pay to administrators/coaches is obscene. LSU football makes ridiculous money, and gets huge donations, but the LSU library is water damaged and unusable because there is no money to fix it. A part of me thinks that we should completely untether athletics and academics. I also get the sensitivity at Binghamton, where the basically only athletic success the school has ever had came at the cost of about 45 felonies and an attempted murder.

On the other hand, if this guy wants to literally set $60M on fire (which again, small college baseball in the northeast...), well, go for it.
My one rebuttal is if the stadium is a waste isnt all other athletic spending a waste? I mean why cant lacrosse play day games instead of night games so we can save on the electric? why can men's and women's teams travel together to games to save cost on transportation? why not just cut sports programs completely? Are any sports at binghamton generating any revenue for the school? Sports at the binghamton level are just black holes.

If Binghamton went to the state to ask for a stadium like this than i get the outrage but a random dude gave the money. This only helps the university.

Did binghamton really need a brand new engineering building? The old one was fine. Looked ugly as sin but hey it got the job done.

Lastly if you want to nickel and dime sports than you need to do it to all the other clubs and activities at the school. When you break it down sports are just another club that students join. The only difference is sports is the only "club" that has non-club participants watch and can get recognition at a national level for the school

·
Registered
147 Posts
a single donor then this individual more than likely has previously given to the University in other areas and they also almost certainly have a net worth well north of 1bn; My guess is it’s one of the Susquehanna guys, but could be somebody else. Lol at the Reddit folks guessing Scott Diamond- he earned a couple mil over his MLB career.

Great point. Usually donors work their way up to a 60M gift. Not just out of the blue make a on time donation like this. This guy/gal probably also has given to other caused in his hometown or even the binghamton area.

·
President of the Anti-Carbone Club
124 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
It’s not just Binghamton students that are trashing it, though. Pretty much every publication has something bad to say. Forbes aforementioned, also one from GolfDigest here

Man, when the ultra-rich lose the endorsement of Golf Digest, things are pretty bleak.

·
5,912 Posts
It’s not just Binghamton students that are trashing it, though. Pretty much every publication has something bad to say. Forbes aforementioned, also one from GolfDigest here

Man, this dude sounds angry. Holy crap.

·
Registered
147 Posts

I feel bad that all the media attention on this has been so negative. I would hope SBU would react more positively since our teams have actually been successful but I can't guarantee that.
This article is just dumb. This guy makes zero sense. His whole point is it is a lot of money. That's it. he mixes in moral responsibility, compares it to lazy rivers, then goes on to talk about borrowing from municipalities and economists say that is not good. Yeah no sh*t having cities finance billion dollar stadiums for rich billionaire owners not good. You know what is good? having these billionaires build their own stadium. Which what this guy did. No way in hell Binghamton builds a 60M baseball field without this money. I commend the university for have an above average little league baseball field up until someone wanted to give them the 60M to make it better.

if you show me Binghamton's expenses i could cut them by 20% within a week. This guy wants to talk about the moral responsibility then lets do it on the tax dollars they receive or the one paid by student expense not on money that was a gift.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
This article is just dumb. This guy makes zero sense. His whole point is it is a lot of money. That's it. he mixes in moral responsibility, compares it to lazy rivers, then goes on to talk about borrowing from municipalities and economists say that is not good. Yeah no sh*t having cities finance billion dollar stadiums for rich billionaire owners not good. You know what is good? having these billionaires build their own stadium. Which what this guy did. No way in hell Binghamton builds a 60M baseball field without this money. I commend the university for have an above average little league baseball field up until someone wanted to give them the 60M to make it better.

if you show me Binghamton's expenses i could cut them by 20% within a week. This guy wants to talk about the moral responsibility then lets do it on the tax dollars they receive or the one paid by student expense not on money that was a gift.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts