Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I don't do this much, but it's slow day in the life of the Bull.

I was speculating, now that a year has passed, on the trade of Mr. Ed. I was thinking (in my own special way of thinking), that even Ed's biggest detractors had to like the kid. He always had an agreeable personality, and he's awfully big. I was even in favor of signing him to a reasonable 3 or 4 year contract (given the heart issues). I also agree with those who feel that Mr. Ed is not nearly the player on the Knick that he would have been had he stayed with the Bull this season. Also, now that he has had a year outside of dodge, Mr. Ed may have realized that the Bull wasn't such a bad situation for him, either.

So I started thinking about offering the Knick a mulligan on that trade. I think that shortly after Isaiah is removed from office at Knick Central this summer, Pax should call the new GM (Larry Brown?) with an offer. Now as with any mulligan, it will involve a small penalty. Pax should offer to give the Knick back their pick in return for Mr. Ed (at $4.5/year with raises), Jamal (at $3.5/year with raises), and David Lee. This will give the Knick more opportunity to feature Channing Frye and Jackie Butler in the front court, will clear some of the log jam in the front court, and will give them that lottery shot they had given up. It also gives them some salary relief and opens up their roster for some more SUPERSTARS like Jalen, Starbury, and Franchise.

For us, it gives us a more mature pair in Ed and Jamal, and a nice prospect at PF to boot. We miss out on a top pick, but still get our first rounder and still have room to sign AH or Gooden. Ultimately, our roster becomes:

Kirk, Chris, Jannero
Ben, Jamal
Luol, Andres
Al, SWilliams (draft), David Lee, Darius
Ed, Tyson, AD

Go ahead, slice me up. I think it would be fun, though!

·
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ShamBulls said:
How did you manage to halve the value of the two's contracts?
The Knick pays the rest.

Like I said, a mulligan always accrues a penalty. Since the Knick was the only team in the league who thought they were worth that salary, let them eat the excess. We still save them an average of $8-10 million/year (which with lux tax means $16-20 million!).

·
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mizenkay said:
outside the box wynn!

but you lost me at "jamal". sigh.

:smilewink
I'm less of a Jamal fan than an Ed fan, but since Jamal has apparently learned to accept a bench role, and he has always been a fan favorite, has length, and can play PG to Ben's SG, he might be just the player we could use. I think, like Ed, he needed to live on "the other side" before he'd be willing to accept this role.

I wouldn't have minded re-signing Jamal a couple years ago at the salary I listed above if he was willing to accept a bench role.

·
A deserving All-Star
2,252 Posts
Unfortunately it isn't happening. You cannot trade guys for half there cap number or " eat" salary unless you have capspace. The Knicks do NOT. And no thanks on the " mulligan". If you want Curry back so badly we'll give him back to you in exchange for our picks back and Chandler. We'll even be nice enough and throw the SA pick to you guys as well.

·
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
knicksfan said:
Unfortunately it isn't happening. You cannot trade guys for half there cap number or " eat" salary unless you have capspace. The Knicks do NOT. And no thanks on the " mulligan". If you want Curry back so badly we'll give him back to you in exchange for our picks back and Chandler. We'll even be nice enough and throw the SA pick to you guys as well.
But the Knick won't be "eating" half the salary, they'll be giving it away, and we have all the cap room in the world to "eat" all the salary the Knick wants to throw at us. In fact, I offered this only as a favor to help a floundering Knick organization. I think we'd do better to just sign Przybilla and Baby Al and take our two lottery picks. Guess I was feeling guilty about what the Bull, with the help of Isaiah, has done to you kids over the last two seasons.

·
A deserving All-Star
2,252 Posts
Two season?

You guys gave us a good AT LEAST backup 2G who is capable of scoring 15 PPG for FREE. And a hard worker in JYD who we loved despite the contract. The only way I'll be mad at the Curry trade is if the Bulls get Oden with the Bulls pick next year. Otherwise I'd take Curry over anyone in next yr's draft.

·
5,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
knicksfan said:
Two season?

You guys gave us a good AT LEAST backup 2G who is capable of scoring 15 PPG for FREE. And a hard worker in JYD who we loved despite the contract. The only way I'll be mad at the Curry trade is if the Bulls get Oden with the Bulls pick next year. Otherwise I'd take Curry over anyone in next yr's draft.
We'll see if you still feel that way at the end of next season. I've got to imagine that at least one of this year's draftees is going to average 14 points and 7 rebounds -- or something equivalent -- within the next season or two.

Whatever the case, your disagreement is fair and noted.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Wynn said:

I was speculating, now that a year has passed, on the trade of Mr. Ed. I was thinking (in my own special way of thinking), that even Ed's biggest detractors had to like the kid. He always had an agreeable personality, and he's awfully big. I was even in favor of signing him to a reasonable 3 or 4 year contract (given the heart issues). I also agree with those who feel that Mr. Ed is not nearly the player on the Knick that he would have been had he stayed with the Bull this season. Also, now that he has had a year outside of dodge, Mr. Ed may have realized that the Bull wasn't such a bad situation for him, either.

So I started thinking about offering the Knick a mulligan on that trade. I think that shortly after Isaiah is removed from office at Knick Central this summer, Pax should call the new GM (Larry Brown?) with an offer. Now as with any mulligan, it will involve a small penalty. Pax should offer to give the Knick back their pick in return for Mr. Ed (at $4.5/year with raises), Jamal (at $3.5/year with raises), and David Lee. This will give the Knick more opportunity to feature Channing Frye and Jackie Butler in the front court, will clear some of the log jam in the front court, and will give them that lottery shot they had given up. It also gives them some salary relief and opens up their roster for some more SUPERSTARS like Jalen, Starbury, and Franchise.

For us, it gives us a more mature pair in Ed and Jamal, and a nice prospect at PF to boot. We miss out on a top pick, but still get our first rounder and still have room to sign AH or Gooden. Ultimately, our roster becomes:

Kirk, Chris, Jannero
Ben, Jamal
Luol, Andres
Ed, Tyson, AD

I'm not quite sure what it would do for us on the basketball court (probably back up to 47+ wins), but it would do wonders for bbb.net bulls unity. But then of course, we will have found another issue to have conflict with and divide ourselves over.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wynn said:

Kirk, Chris, Jannero
Ben, Jamal
Luol, Andres
Ed, Tyson, AD

Hah, Wynn, you're much more creative than I am, but I just recently was talking to my two roommates (Knicks fans) about a pure mulligan. I was like, "You know, we need a big. You need draft picks. How about we trade you 1)Your 1st pick this year 2)Tim Thomas (this was before he was bought out) and 3)renege on the swapping of picks next year, and you give us 1)Eddy Curry? We'll even pay for Antonio's salary" They agreed readily enough but unfortunately, they are not the GM's of the Knicks...although with Isiah, I guess anything is possible...

·
Registered
17,143 Posts
I'd do that in a heartbeat. If we could then somehow trade Ben Gordon and get back Andre Iguodala, we'd have pretty close to the "Official MikeDC Preferred Opening Day 2004 Bulls" lineup.

Guards: Kirk/Iggy/Jamal/Duhon
Forwards: Deng/Iggy/Nocioni
Bigs: Curry/Chandler/Songaila/Lee/Remaining Cap Space or MLE to be spent on Reggie Evans and Antonio Davis

Draft Pick: Highest impact player available.

·
Registered
30,191 Posts
Ah, the Eddy Curry trade. Bulls lose in raw talent. I doubt who ever we draft with the Knicks pick will be better than Eddy. Now the thing that can make us the winner of this trade is if someone from that draft that we get is just good, or if Knicks suck again next year and we have a chance at Oden.

If we had:

PG-Kirk Hinrich/Chris Duhon
SG-Ben Gordon/
SF-Luol Deng/Andres Nocioni
PF-Tyson Chandler/Antonio Davis/Darius Songaila
C- Eddy Curry/Malik Allen

Wow, we'd probaly be nearing 50 wins.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
sloth said:
Ah, the Eddy Curry trade. Bulls lose in raw talent. I doubt who ever we draft with the Knicks pick will be better than Eddy. Now the thing that can make us the winner of this trade is if someone from that draft that we get is just good, or if Knicks suck again next year and we have a chance at Oden.

If we had:

PG-Kirk Hinrich/Chris Duhon
SG-Ben Gordon/
SF-Luol Deng/Andres Nocioni
PF-Tyson Chandler/Antonio Davis/Darius Songaila
C- Eddy Curry/Malik Allen

Wow, we'd probaly be nearing 50 wins.
So you doubt anybody will be better than Curry's 13 ppg and 6 rpg. He doesn't even feature on a team with 19 wins. I can pick at least 15 players who will be guaranteed to be better players than Curry. No doubt. An improvement of 19 games with Curry and AD who is hurt? Really?

·
Registered
30,191 Posts
lougehrig said:
So you doubt anybody will be better than Curry's 13 ppg and 6 rpg. He doesn't even feature on a team with 19 wins. I can pick at least 15 players who will be guaranteed to be better players than Curry. No doubt. An improvement of 19 games with Curry and AD who is hurt? Really?
This team is completely differant than the Knicks though, and would allow Eddy to be closer to a 20 ppg scorer. If we had Eddy's 1st quarter scoring, than hell yes a 19 game improvement is possible, but still it wouldn't be a 19 win improvement, say we end up with 38 wins this year, so a 12 game improvement, and only a 3 win improvement on last year. We've been down after the first quarter so much this yera, that we could definitely use that, not to mention he is defensively better than any big man not named Tyson Chandler on this team. And what would say that Antonio Davis would be injured if he was on our team? The mix of players was a great mix, and just fit together so well, so I wouldn't see a reason not for extended success.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,817 Posts
Check out the big brain on Wynn!

**suddenly craves Big Kahuna burger**

I'd think about an Eddy Curry at a non-budget busting salary and a role playing Jamal in exchange for the Knicks pick.

But not until I know who is declaring and what picks we have.

Then I'd make an assessment.

And Mike, as much as I do like Ben, I agree with you. I was an Iggy guy in that draft.

·
Registered
10,191 Posts
knicksfan said:
Otherwise I'd take Curry over anyone in next yr's draft.
That's been the word around the Knick's organization lately. Sounds suspiciously like rationalizing to me, but no judgement from my end. If the Bulls end up with Tyrus Thomas, Aldridge, or Bargnani, I'd have to say that we end up with a pretty sufficient replacement...maybe even a better one (key word being maybe).

·
Registered
17,143 Posts
yodurk said:
That's been the word around the Knick's organization lately. Sounds suspiciously like rationalizing to me, but no judgement from my end. If the Bulls end up with Tyrus Thomas, Aldridge, or Bargnani, I'd have to say that we end up with a pretty sufficient replacement...maybe even a better one (key word being maybe).
Isn't that maybe just as much a rationalization as knicksman's :)

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
knicksfan said:
So you're saying you would trade Sweetney and Thomas for Chandler.

Hmm... so would I if I were a Knick fan.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.