Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Warrior Spirit!
4,216 Posts
Fo real?

For a second I thought it was Eddie Griffin and I got excited...but this trade won't do anything for us so I could care less.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
well the PG is just trade filler. Won't be on the team.
Pike should help some in the shooting dept
Griff the defender

There goes my Lucious Harris dream

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
I like the trade. Piat will give us a shooting threat that will keep teams from collapsing on Curry and Chandler.

No one talks about Griffin. He can play some D.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This gives us 147 players under contract.
Will the Bulls introduce Thunderdome?
2 players enter, 1 player leaves.:dogpile:

·
Registered
897 Posts
And you know this HOW? not doubting you, just asking. Obviously it was gonna be completed sooner or later.

KIRK HINRICH / FRANK WILLIAMS
BEN GORDON / ERIC PIATKOWSKI / ADRIAN GRIFFIN
ANDRES NOCIONI / LUOL DENG / EDDIE ROBINSON
TYSON CHANDLER / OTHELLA HARRINGTON
EDDY CURRY / ANTONIO DAVIS

GRIFFIN was a defensive BEAST on dallas, hopefully he'll be healthy enuff next season to provide that same intensity.

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
Don't be suprised if Griffin get some major minutes and Frankie Dubs finds himself as the 11th man on the bench. Griffin can play D, not a good shooter but he can score.

Hinrich(PG)
Gordon(SG)
Nocioni(SF)
Chandler(PF)
Curry(C)

BACKCOURT: Griffin, Piatkowski, Williams
WING: Deng, Robinson
FRONTCOURT: Harrington, Davis

That'd be my guess on what the team looks like on October 31st

·
Banned
780 Posts
somethings not right here,why would pax get Hou to sign Wilks then turn around and cut him?.also espn is sayin maybe sometime next week this will happen not tomorrow...

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Too bad we can't get our second round picks back in this trade.

Really a nothing deal for both teams, except we now have adequate coverage at the SG position. I still believe it will be our weak spot.

Let's hope Gordon or Hinrich learn to play in High soled shoes!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I don't see Pike helping us that much though wasn't he once nicknamed "The Polish Pistol"? Am I making this up or does someone else remember this? If it's true, this deal gets a 7/10. If not, a 5/10.

I suppose we never were really counting on Deke anyway...though he might have had more trade value as a contract than this...

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bulls</b>!
somethings not right here,why would pax get Hou to sign Wilks then turn around and cut him?.also espn is sayin maybe sometime next week this will happen not tomorrow...
Maybe Wilks' contract won't be be guarranteed, allowing the Bulls to cut him without having to eat his salary. Apparently Houston doesn't want to use any of the trade exception that it gained in the McGrady deal. Like us, they don't want to take on anymore salary unless they're trading an equal amount away. LT concerns, I suppose.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Most people know what Piatkowski brings. Griffin, if he sticks, had a two season run with the Mavs (01/02 and 02/03) where he played a key role in their rotation as a physical, defensive stopper. I don't know why he never saw any PT with the Rockets last season.

If the deal is completed, it looks like the team's rotation will be initially comprised of Hinrich, Gordon, Piatkowski, Nocioni, Deng, Chandler, Harrington, Curry and Davis.

Pargo's on a "make good," non-guarranteed contract, and with the addition of Piatkowski you can color the 6' SG gone. I'm going to assume for now that Wilks' contract will be non-guarranteed as well which means he'd also be released.

The Bulls probably won't release their future Hall of Famer, Scottie Pippen, which means that unless he retires he'll probably consume a roster spot and spend most of the season on the injured list. Robinson has two years left on an expensive contract, and from what I hear he's been somewhat of a workout regular at Berto, so I presume he'll take up another roster slot.

There's a rather large pool of "bubble" players for Skiles to choose from...players with guarranteed, ending contracts who by no means are assured of a roster spot: Frank Williams ($899,040), Chris Jefferies ($957,480), Adrian Griffin ($807,546) and Cezary Trybanski ($1,760,000).

Finally, you've got two unsigned draft picks in Chris Duhon and Tommie Smith who will either make the roster or play overseas as Mario Austin chose to do earlier this summer, while the Bulls retain their rights. The Bulls, as I understand it, really like Chris Duhon, which leads me to believe he's got a better than average chance of being signed and sticking with the team.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Jefferies and Trybanski seem like two likely candidates to be given their walking papers along with Wilks and Pargo.

That would leave the Bulls with a roster comprised of the following 14 players:
Guards: Duhon, Gordon, Griffin, Hinrich, Piatkowski, Williams.

Small Forwards: Deng, Nocioni, Pippen, Robinson.

Power Forwards: Chandler, Harrington.

Centers: Curry, Davis.

Tommie Smith's length, and the shot-blocking/defensive skills that he displayed in Salt Lake this summer might earn him a spot on the roster as the 15th man backing up the power positions. Or the Bulls may choose to keep that final roster spot open in case they need to sign a free agent during the year.

There's still a month to go before camp opens. But if this trade with Houston is consumated, I'd say the Bulls are probably done acquiring players for the rest of the summer. And if things go down as it looks like they may, the Bulls will have added as many as eight new players to their roster in Duhon, Gordon, Griffin, Piatkowski, Williams, Deng, Nocioni and Harrington. And at least five of those new players will play key roles in the Bulls rotation.

And you thought it took Team USA a long time to learn how to play together! It appears the Bulls will face a similar challenge with only six holdovers from last year's team: Hinrich, Pippen, Robinson, Chandler, Curry and Davis. Skiles will have his hands full molding this group together in time for the start of the regular season.

·
Banned
780 Posts
last i heard duhon had signed overseas,i could be wrong but thats just what i heard..

i broke it down b4 if this trade went down and to get to 15 players all we had to do was cut PS,CJ,LJ3,wilks along with duhon going over seas. PS and LJ3 have been let go so to get to 15 players if this trade goes down is to let CJ and wilks go along with duhon going over seas..

i think Pargo is the same Type of player as Bruce Bowen,Trenton Hassell,Fred Hoiberg for us and if we let this guy go WE WILL REGRET IT down the road..

i also feel that if deke is traded we should keep Trybanski around on the IR just in case one of are PF/C's go down for more then a few games..

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
All players who are signed and traded must be signed for at least three seasons and the first season must be fully guaranteed.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Griffin is a nice pickup.

Taking Piatkowski and his guaranteed salary next year is dumb, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. One of the (few) good things from the Crawford deal is that if we get outpriced on Curry and/or Chandler, we'd have some flexibility to make up for it. Buy taking on a guy who's guaranteed $3M next year, we seriously cut into that. And for what? A 35 year old SG who can't play defense (or do anything besides shoot) and who has played in a combined total of 4 playoff games in 10 years.

We could have gotten an equivalent or better guy off the free agent market and been in a better cap position this year. (And saved Mutombo for a better deal heading into the stretch, when playoff teams will be looking to get a big guy who can help them).

If Mike Wilks has guaranteed money it's only that much more foolish.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts