Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!
I got an email from a guy who scouts college games. he said Okafors demeanor is exactly like Duncans. Meaning this kid is all about business on the court. No yelling at the ceiling after dunks, no emotion, just goes out there to do a job. And do it well he added. Would anyone back this claim up from todays game?
Absolutely. I've watched this kid for three years now, and he's exactly as your friend described. rlucas, have you not seen Okafor play before? He's a class act through and through. And he'll graduate in three years with a 4.0 GPA. Kid's just a stud.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!

I said All-Star caliber, not that they were all-stars. They are still young guys but they have proven more than Crawford and Chandler.

It doesn't matter as Seattle would never do a trade like that period.

Plus: Seattle has a winning record in the West, what do the Bulls have 12-25 in the East.
Thats your opinion. Its a * joke to say Radmanovic is an All-Star.

Look at this All-Star numbers:
13.1 PPG., 6 RPG

I mean, watchout KG and Duncan, Radmanovic is for real!!

And Lewis is a Star, not an All-Star. The only All-Star player in the Sonics squad is Ray Allen (Not just for having played in an All-Star game, but he is the only untouchable in Seattle).

Maybe SARS got to you in Hong Kong...

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>VincentVega</b>!

Absolutely. I've watched this kid for three years now, and he's exactly as your friend described. rlucas, have you not seen Okafor play before? He's a class act through and through. And he'll graduate in three years with a 4.0 GPA. Kid's just a stud.
I have seen him, just never paid too close attention to that aspect of his game.

My friend uses the term, cerebral Alonzo Mourning to describe this kid. 6-10, 252 blks a ton of shots, emerging offensive game, runs the floor effortlessly and just does his job. I would agree with this.

Downsides. He too has a bad back. His FT shooting is a little off. And I worry that the 6-10 turns into 6-8 in predraft workouts.

Having said that, I would still take him. He is the best big man to come out since Duncan. Might be more a game changer then Yao himself. I heard he had 9 blks today? And about dozen more that he altered? Thats just nuts! And my friend said he got clobbered on a fast break and just jammed it one some guy. This kid is a freak. And Pax picked a good game to see. Now lets see if Pax can make the right pick 2 years in a row. We will need some luck to get this kid

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!

I have seen him, just never paid too close attention to that aspect of his game.

My friend uses the term, cerebral Alonzo Mourning to describe this kid. 6-10, 252 blks a ton of shots, emerging offensive game, runs the floor effortlessly and just does his job. I would agree with this.

Downsides. He too has a bad back. His FT shooting is a little off. And I worry that the 6-10 turns into 6-8 in predraft workouts.

Having said that, I would still take him. He is the best big man to come out since Duncan. Might be more a game changer then Yao himself. I heard he had 9 blks today? And about dozen more that he altered? Thats just nuts! And my friend said he got clobbered on a fast break and just jammed it one some guy. This kid is a freak. And Pax picked a good game to see. Now lets see if Pax can make the right pick 2 years in a row. We will need some luck to get this kid
He looked like a monster today, but I don't think any of the kids on OU are NBA level talents yet. I have got to see him play some NBA-level kids.

Does UConn have any big time games on their schedule this year?

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>RetroDreams</b>!

He looked like a monster today, but I don't think any of the kids on OU are NBA level talents yet. I have got to see him play some NBA-level kids.

Does UConn have any big time games on their schedule this year?
They are at UNC next Sat or Sunday on a national game. Should be very interesting.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>curry_52</b>!

Thats your opinion. Its a * joke to say Radmanovic is an All-Star.

Look at this All-Star numbers:
13.1 PPG., 6 RPG

I mean, watchout KG and Duncan, Radmanovic is for real!!

And Lewis is a Star, not an All-Star. The only All-Star player in the Sonics squad is Ray Allen (Not just for having played in an All-Star game, but he is the only untouchable in Seattle).

Maybe SARS got to you in Hong Kong...
Sorry dude I am in NYC, I can't help it that you don't know who Hong Kong Fooey is.

And Radman is getting pretty good numbers as a 4th option (first behind Lewis, Bones and Murray) and now (Allen, Lewis and Bones).

He also is playing out of position at PF, while he is most certainly a SF. You are not going to get Vlad for what you are offering.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts

·
Rollin Wit Da Homies
5,080 Posts
Retro, I totally respect what you are saying, but honestly, Okafor is the BEST big man talent in college basketball. The next best PF type he might face is Hakim Warrick, who is more of a SF.

NBAdraft.net has only three college big men going in the first round at all: Okafor, Kris Humphries from Minnesota (at projected 17th pick), and Jamie Lloreda from LSU (at the projected 30th pick).

I'm afraid that when you're the best, it's hard to find good competition.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It's a good day to be from CT... we get a scare from Rutgers and we clobber OU.

Villanueva is a developing product, but extremely athletic and is improving daily. He might need two years in college to really meet his potential.

Okafor... I don't know what to tell you. He's a level headed guy. He's a role model for every basketball player ever. Most kids bring "The Black Album" on bus rides, he brings Microbiology. Most players want to sit down and talk about chicks, he wants to talk to Ben Gordon about what he's thinking when he drives the lane.

This guy will be an absolute stud, there is no question. Ben Gordon will be a player too, but not in the way Okafor will.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
jan

17 at North Carolina 3:30 pm CBS
19 Pittsburgh (HCC) 7 pm ESPN

feb

2 Syracuse (HCC) 7 pm ESPN
9 at Notre Dame 7 pm ESPN
15 at Pittsburgh 1:30 pm ABC
21 Notre Dame (HCC) 2 pm CBS
24 at St. John's 7 pm ESPN2
28 at Villanova 2:30 pm ESPN

mar
1 Seton Hall (GP) 7 pm ESPN
7 at Syracuse 2 pm CBS

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>airety</b>!

Villanueva is a developing product, but extremely athletic and is improving daily. He might need two years in college to really meet his potential.
I agree about developing his potential in college, but what I don't get is why some people say he's "extremely athletic". This isn't a knock on you, airety -- just a difference of opinion/observation.

What I see with Villanueva is a very coordinated, very fluid/slippery athlete (not a super-athlete) with a whole hell of a lot of natural agility and finesse in the mold of a more forward-oriented (as opposed to guard-oriented) Lamar Odom. What I don't see in Villanueva is raw explosiveness or extraordinary run-jump athleticism of Garnett, Big Ben, J. O'Neal or Rashard Lewis. However, the kid is 6'10" with long arms, and he can handle and pass like a mofo, so maybe I'm taking his natural ability for granted considering his length.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that he's more fluid and agile than he is explosive. But I guess these traits fall under the definnition of "athletic" as well, so maybe we're just arguing semantics.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Villanueva is very interesting. But on a stupid note, everytime I think of him, my first thought is what happened to his eye brows? :)

Ok now that I am beyond that. He has a nice shot and a nice feel for the game. But I really see Terry Mills when I see him. Mills had one nice year in the NBA. But never amounted to much

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
RLucas. How about this:

Charlie V= A young Derrick Coleman

You would still have the whole eyebrowless forhead deal of Terry Mills, but you would encompass more of his athelticism and inside outside game. As well as his questionable character.

I was also thinking of Keon Clark meets Terry Mills...but isn't that basically a young Derrick Coleman?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Originally posted by <b>VincentVega</b>!

I agree about developing his potential in college, but what I don't get is why some people say he's "extremely athletic". This isn't a knock on you, airety -- just a difference of opinion/observation.

What I see with Villanueva is a very coordinated, very fluid/slippery athlete (not a super-athlete) with a whole hell of a lot of natural agility and finesse in the mold of a more forward-oriented (as opposed to guard-oriented) Lamar Odom. What I don't see in Villanueva is raw explosiveness or extraordinary run-jump athleticism of Garnett, Big Ben, J. O'Neal or Rashard Lewis. However, the kid is 6'10" with long arms, and he can handle and pass like a mofo, so maybe I'm taking his natural ability for granted considering his length.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that he's more fluid and agile than he is explosive. But I guess these traits fall under the definnition of "athletic" as well, so maybe we're just arguing semantics.
Did you catch the Sportscenter Top 10 with him from the Ball State game where he caught the alley oop pass behind him while in mid-air and threw it down?

That's raw athleticism. To be up in the air long enough and coordinated enough to catch an alley oop pass behind your body and still bring it back and into the basket, it was awe inspiring. In his worst stat game, he had one of the best dunks I've seen all year.

When you see him in person, you get an even better sense. This kid EXPLODES on the ball when it's in the air. That UMass game where he shot 10 for 11, he was just jumping over guys for rebounds and throwing it down.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
The one think I haven't seen from CV yet that would make him in mind a blue-chip prospect at the three is the ability to handle the ball. This is not to say that he can't handle, I' just haven't seen him do it. His shot is so much improved from where I saw it at the end of last season... he has developed a real nice release, and he looks like one of the few players that could become a defensive stopper at the next level. Airety have you seen his dribbling skills?

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Originally posted by <b>curry_52</b>!
So...

-We pick Okafor
-Trade Chandler, Re-Signed Crawford and E-Rob to Seattle for Rashard Lewis and Radmanovic
-Try to lure "Q". This move seems almost impossible, but the guy`is from here (I believe). Sterling has finally commited to "winning" so Q is a keeper
-Sign Ostertag

C: Curry/Ostertag/Blount
PF: Okafor/Radmanovic/Blount
SF: Lewis/JYD/Pippen
SG: Q/Gill (?)
PG: Hinrich/ ?

We must do something about AD. A small plan.
What makes people think the Clips are just going to let Q walk away is beyond me, plus he wants to be a Clipper...

So there goes that...

You deal away JC and create another hole...

Radman is NOT a 4...

no, no, and no.

I think if JC lasts past the trade deadline he's here, provided my Clips don't offer him some serious money in the offseason that Pax will not match....

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
UCONN isnt going to win a national championship, just watch and see.

I dont remember who said it but a college coach said " Youre never out of the game when you play UCONN' they have no offensive structure so if you play good d and can get some easy baskets on the other end you can always come back.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Originally posted by <b>airety</b>!

Did you catch the Sportscenter Top 10 with him from the Ball State game where he caught the alley oop pass behind him while in mid-air and threw it down?
Yeah, I did. Great job on his part, and he certainly made a nice play. But the kid isn't going to jump over buildings. However, his coordination is absolutely tremendous for a guy his height, thus his being able to convert the alley oop. But lots of 6'10" guys can do that in the NBA. And some can do it and add a double pump or windmill to it in addition to elevating their heads to rim-level.

When you see him in person, you get an even better sense. This kid EXPLODES on the ball when it's in the air. That UMass game where he shot 10 for 11, he was just jumping over guys for rebounds and throwing it down.
I have seen him in person. Front row, in fact, when he played a series of games against the Kansas team + Kirk Hinrich + Nick Collison in Allen Fieldhouse last spring before the NBA predraft camps started.

The kid is athletic, for sure. But he's more of a fluid athlete than he is an explosive athlete, kind of like a slightly bigger, more athletic version of Jalen Rose. He has amazing coordination and body control for a guy his size. He can jump pretty well, and when he wants to, he can run the floor as well. But all I'm trying to say is that he doesn't have Stromile Swift/Kevin Garnett type athleticism, that pure, shot-out-of-a-gun run-jump wickedness that's very rare, even in the NBA. And that's what I think a lot of people were (or are) hyping him as having. I just happen to disagree, that's all.

Good points, good discussion.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts