Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
From only watching one game, I agree with what you're saying about Charlie, Vincent Vega. He hasn't wowed me with some freaky jumping ability or speed, but he's very coordinated. He runs the floor very hard, has good feet and length on defense (he appears to have skills on man and on help D), his shot is very nice looking, and his passing is slick. He will be a first round pick, maybe this year. He should wait until he's going to be picked in the lotto, because it will happen if he keeps learning.

You're right CCCP, where's this Lamar Odom handle? That would be his the skill that makes him very intriguing as an NBA 3. I think he has the athleticism and ability to guard NBA 3's.

Okafor is very interesting. He still has nowhere near Elton Brand's post up ability, but he's a flat force on D. He has great leaping ability and is quick off the floor (very important for a shot blocker). He's got the 6th highest block/game average in the history of the NCAA. Just for the record though, Adonal Foyle is above him, so this list is no guarantee of NBA defensive stardom. I keep watching his feet on offense. He has extremely quick feet, and he is incredibly fundamentally sound on defense.

I think he has potential in the post. He's very quick, and he can do a very fast spin for a layup.

He's listed a 6'10", but to my eyes he looks shorter. I wonder if he'll really be tall enough to play center in the league. We'll see how tall he is when they pull out the ruler in the combine.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>VincentVega</b>!

Yeah, I did. Great job on his part, and he certainly made a nice play. But the kid isn't going to jump over buildings. However, his coordination is absolutely tremendous for a guy his height, thus his being able to convert the alley oop. But lots of 6'10" guys can do that in the NBA. And some can do it and add a double pump or windmill to it in addition to elevating their heads to rim-level.

I have seen him in person. Front row, in fact, when he played a series of games against the Kansas team + Kirk Hinrich + Nick Collison in Allen Fieldhouse last spring before the NBA predraft camps started.

The kid is athletic, for sure. But he's more of a fluid athlete than he is an explosive athlete, kind of like a slightly bigger, more athletic version of Jalen Rose. He has amazing coordination and body control for a guy his size. He can jump pretty well, and when he wants to, he can run the floor as well. But all I'm trying to say is that he doesn't have Stromile Swift/Kevin Garnett type athleticism, that pure, shot-out-of-a-gun run-jump wickedness that's very rare, even in the NBA. And that's what I think a lot of people were (or are) hyping him as having. I just happen to disagree, that's all.

Good points, good discussion.
great discussion. VV. are we talking CV or Emeka here?

Future, great comparison on CV, Derrick Coleman is about right

I am having todays Uconn game downloaded to me for when I get to London tomorrow. Ill be anxious to see it. Emekas stock doesnt have too much higher to go, but it seems to be on the rise

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Here's a quote from the espn recap--

"They may be as good as anyone we've played in 10 years," Oklahoma coach Kelvin Sampson said. "Their team speed, until you see them up close and personal you don't know how fast they are. ... They impose their transition game on you. Connecticut was just shoving down our throats."

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Originally posted by <b>DaFuture</b>!
UCONN isnt going to win a national championship, just watch and see.

I dont remember who said it but a college coach said " Youre never out of the game when you play UCONN' they have no offensive structure so if you play good d and can get some easy baskets on the other end you can always come back.
I guess so...

There's a lot to be said for an offense that can manufacture points in a tight spot, but there may be even more to be said for a defense that can shut you down at will.

UCONN can be beat, but it would take a team that has someone like a Mcnamara who can hit 10 cold blooded threes in a row. Okafor/CV/ Boone almost completely take away the drive and if you miss, UCONN is ready to just embarass you

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
The way to beat UConn is to attack their weaknesses.

1. Taliek Brown - he may be a Senior and he is from NYC (I'm partial to city kids), but he stinks. He can't make jumpshots or FT's.

2. UConn FT shooting as a team. Okafor is horrible, well basically the entire team save Ben Gordon couldn't hit the broadside of a barn when it comes to FT shooting. They are shooting like 62% as a team from the line, which could cost them in the later rounds of the tournament.

The sooner UConn realizes that Marcus Williams should be the starting PG, is the sooner the team will have an easier time winning games. Make no mistake about it, Oklahoma is not that good and is very inexperienced in the backcourt.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hong Kong Fooey</b>!
The way to beat UConn is to attack their weaknesses.

1. Taliek Brown - he may be a Senior and he is from NYC (I'm partial to city kids), but he stinks. He can't make jumpshots or FT's.

2. UConn FT shooting as a team. Okafor is horrible, well basically the entire team save Ben Gordon couldn't hit the broadside of a barn when it comes to FT shooting. They are shooting like 62% as a team from the line, which could cost them in the later rounds of the tournament.

The sooner UConn realizes that Marcus Williams should be the starting PG, is the sooner the team will have an easier time winning games. Make no mistake about it, Oklahoma is not that good and is very inexperienced in the backcourt.
as bad as everyone says Oklahoma is, they were ranked 6th in the nation and still got beat by 40 (an exaggeration but I hear Emeka left with Uconn up 38). Now maybe OU shouldnt be ranked that high but one team in the top 20 should never beat another team in the 20 by 40 unless your really damn good. UConn apparently is

·
Registered
1,577 Posts

Sorry dude I am in NYC, I can't help it that you don't know who Hong Kong Fooey is.

And Radman is getting pretty good numbers as a 4th option (first behind Lewis, Bones and Murray) and now (Allen, Lewis and Bones).

He also is playing out of position at PF, while he is most certainly a SF. You are not going to get Vlad for what you are offering.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Showtyme</b>!
Retro, I totally respect what you are saying, but honestly, Okafor is the BEST big man talent in college basketball. The next best PF type he might face is Hakim Warrick, who is more of a SF.

NBAdraft.net has only three college big men going in the first round at all: Okafor, Kris Humphries from Minnesota (at projected 17th pick), and Jamie Lloreda from LSU (at the projected 30th pick).

I'm afraid that when you're the best, it's hard to find good competition.
Warrick?? He is as skinny as Darius Miles, he is far from being a PF.

:laugh:

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Yeah. I think Syracuse will give UConn a helluva game. People are sleeping on the orangemen once again. Melo was only part of the reason they were champions last year.

But I think UConn is the best team I've seen thus far this year in my limited college basketball watching. They just come at you in waves.

But it's those deep teams that end up losing the craziest games.

In spite of all there other talent, it's Okafor that makes them scary.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
teams that have multiple gaurds who can ball can beat UCONN. IE georgia Tech. A team like Wake Forest or a Maryland or a Duke would kill UCONN because they have points who can drive to the basket and dish off, like a Chris Paul (who by the way is probably THE BEST PG IN THE ACC a case could be made for Jack). Or a John Gilchristt who is fearless and knows how to draw contact when he drives into the lane against the wall aka Okafor. Also A gaurd like a DJ Strawberry or a Justin Gray can d up a Ben Gordon.

·
Registered
8,211 Posts
i doubt Uconn is unbeatable. UNLV was suppose to be unbeatable and it didnt happen. But based on what I have read, these guys are going to be hard to beat. They lost once this year, but Okafor had a bad back and the flu

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DaFuture</b>!
teams that have multiple gaurds who can ball can beat UCONN. IE georgia Tech. A team like Wake Forest or a Maryland or a Duke would kill UCONN because they have points who can drive to the basket and dish off, like a Chris Paul (who by the way is probably THE BEST PG IN THE ACC a case could be made for Jack). Or a John Gilchirst who is fearless and knows how to draw contact and can d up a Ben Gordon.
John Gilchrist couldn't dream of holding Ben Gordon. I know you love everything UMD, but come on. He couldn't hold Tim Pickett for goodness sake.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Tim Pickett isnt

a bad player, and sadly I am one ofe the more realistic posters on this board.

I actually wrote that wrong i meant to put a gaurd like a DJ Strawberry who would give Gordon fits with his size and speed.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
If Carolina had any depth that game next week could really be something.

I will be interested to see how Okafor handles May. Can he stay out of foul trouble?

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I think Okafor will eat May up. I think if may relied on athleticism more than skill he'd have a better chance against Okafor. If he were a leaper, he could throw his body against Okafor and draw easy fouls. As it is right now, he stays low to the ground and Okafor can easily swat those types of shots without even jumping.

May's best asset will be his ability to shoot from long range. I saw this technique a few times from Oklahoma and it worked very well. They had their center camp out near the 3 point line and catch the ball, when Okafor went out to guard him he would hit the cutter in the lane who would then go for the quick shot. It didn't work too well for them, but McCants and Felton are much better finishers than anyone on Oklahoma. Boone and Charlie V. will have to step up to give Okafor the ability to roam back into the paint.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts

John Gilchrist couldn't dream of holding Ben Gordon. I know you love everything UMD, but come on. He couldn't hold Tim Pickett for goodness sake.
Gordon's a great player, explosive and smooth, but he's not the second coming of Baron Davis or AI. Seriously. UCONN has only played two ranked teams so far this year, resulting in one loss (G. Tech) and one win (Oklahoma). Against these ranked teams, Gordon is averaging 12 points, 3.5 turnovers and 25% (3-12) from behind the arc.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player and is a sure-fire impact pro, but he's not some sort of deity. Unless he shows some sort of pro-level point guard skills, I'm not buying everything he's selling. But that could change.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Here is Emeka with Boone, who is listed at 6-10 (From todays game)

A dunk from todays game:

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Originally posted by <b>VincentVega</b>!

Gordon's a great player, explosive and smooth, but he's not the second coming of Baron Davis or AI. Seriously. UCONN has only played two ranked teams so far this year, resulting in one loss (G. Tech) and one win (Oklahoma). Against these ranked teams, Gordon is averaging 12 points, 3.5 turnovers and 25% (3-12) from behind the arc.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player and is a sure-fire impact pro, but he's not some sort of deity. Unless he shows some sort of pro-level point guard skills, I'm not buying everything he's selling. But that could change.
I think were seeing eye to eye on this one. Gordon is a great college player, but I'm not ready to put him in the lottery just yet. He has range and some ability to take it to the whole, but I'm not 100% behind his pg game control skills. Hes an undersized two and there is a whole grave yard of those in the NBA. AI made it, for sure, but Gordon is not AI. Perhaps, mid to late first rounder, who comes off the bench as a change of pace combo guard.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
A lot of good stuff in this thread. Probably the most well argued thread on the board right now, minus a few comments about Gilchrist being able to shutdown Gordon.

Anyways, VV it sounds like we agree Villanueva is athletic, just not to the same extent. You saw him last summer, I saw him this December vs Ball State. Athleticism sure isn't something taught, but I think his fire and intensity has really started to come out and it's allowed him to use his athleticism more fully. Kevin Garnett? No way! Ben Wallace? Poor comparison, Ben Wallace is completely uncoordinated with a ball in his hand. Because we're pretty much disagreeing as to HOW athletic he is, I think we can leave it at that.

To whoever said Villanueva lacks Odom-like handles, your damn right he does. I think it's the weakest part of his game personally, he can't really seem to dribble well enough to take someone off it.

To whoever said UConn won't win the national championship, fair enough. I truly believe that once March hits there are at least 16 teams that can win the national championship, and who's hot and who's cold starts really mattering. Duke matches them well talent wise, and so does UNC. So does Arizona, Florida, Kansas, and a lot of other teams. Just because you are the best on paper doesn't mean you are going to win. As a UConn fan I can tell you that, look at 1999 UConn/Duke. The better team didn't walk home with the title...

As to someone saying Syracuse will beat UConn, probably not. Will they give them a great game? Yes. But you probably forget there was one team that beat Syracuse twice last year by a combined margin of 27. Gave the Orangemen 2 of their 5 losses.

And that was with Carmelo.

Finally, to whoever listed the UConn weaknesses, Taliek Brown isn't a great point guard. He splits time with Marcus Williams at the point though, and towards the end of the season we'll likely see Taliek's minutes reduced. The free throws are a problem, we shot 10 for 30 in the Georgia Tech game. But it gets better, and I don't doubt a Calhoun team in March.

And if you can always beat a Calhoun team, why is it so hard to do it towards the end of the season? Last year, making it far in the Big East tourney and the 2nd round of the NCAAs would have been great on a team with had Taliek Brown, Ben Gordon, Okafor and freshmen, but UConn beat Syracuse and went to the Big East Finals, then lost to Texas in the last seconds on a freak layup where the ball was stuck on the rim causing a jump ball.

I know UConn would have beaten Syracuse again. In fact, my bracket said so :)

It's a fun year to be a CBB fan all around. Duke is stacked, UNC is nasty, Kansas is nasty, Pitt's good, Arizona's great...

We can fight over our teams more in March :)

61 - 79 of 79 Posts