70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The top five prospects according to 247 Composite:

1.)Gregory Little, OT (Texas A&M)
2.)Rashan Gary, DT
3.)Shavar Manuel, DE
4.)Jacob Eason, QB (Georgia)
5.)Keion Joyner, OLB

I can't wait to hear about how Eason looks at the Elite 11 & The Opening events. Pretty excited about his potential, some saying he's better than Stafford was.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt it. Eason and his father had some quotes after talking with Schottenheimer and they're both fans and are all in. Early enrollee, too.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Want ND to make a run at Rashan Gary, but 5* DT's almost never realize their full potential, so it wouldn't bother me either way. As long as we bring in a stud or two at safety and continue to build depth on the lines and linebacker positions I think we are in good shape. Mike Sanford as our new offensive coordinator should allow us to get involved with some good prospects on the west coast, which is huge with now having to fight Meyer/Harbaugh/Franklin/Dantonio in the midwest/mid-atlantic. Think if we win 10-11 games we could have a top 8-10 class.

·
Registered
17,279 Posts
Just based on some twitter traffic between me and Dan, Antonio Williams seems a little hurt that Thomas Brown left Wisconsin for Georgia. Can't really blame him, because Brown has shown an ability to spin shit into gold for Wisconsin recruiting and I'm sure the guys he recruits think he walks on water.

But in regards to Williams, I would still say he's a heavy Wisconsin lean. Just a few days ago I was marveling at how committed to the University he seems, more so than most early entrants on the night before their first day of class. While it really really hurts to lose Brown, I think John Settle is a great RB coach in his own right, and he can still sell Williams on all the same things about Wisconsin. Settle doesn't seem to have the magic touch in recruiting like Brown, but he was a better pro (if that counts for anything) and did a good job coaching up PJ Hill and John Clay as Wisconsin RB coach in the past. In fact, you can pretty much trace Clay's downfall to Settle leaving the program.

So losing Brown is going to really really hurt Wisconsin's overall recruiting, but I don't think it will affect the commitment of Williams.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We were supposed to get the Stanford RB's coach, but he changed his mind at the last minute and Thomas Brown not surprisingly jumped at the offer to return to his alma mater. Other than maybe DJ Shockley, Brown is probably the most beloved former player that never made it big in the NFL around here. I also like that we have another recruiter with personal ties to Metro Atlanta instead of South Georgia.

The old receivers coach Tony Ball is going to be missed, but he will be a good fit at LSU. He was great at maximizing talent, but pretty poor at recruiting. That shouldn't be a problem for LSU who have tons of talent at receiver already.

As the lead recruiter, Ball landed: Marcus Dowtin, AJ Turman, Jonathon Rumph, Michael Chigbu, Uriah LeMay, Sanford Seay, JJ Green, Michael Bennett, Quayvon Hicks. That's it. That's the whole list on 247. He was also the lead recruiter for Josh Malone, Cordarrelle Patterson and Preston Williams, but obviously couldn't get them to commit.

I'm glad we didn't try to hire Hines Ward. That would have been a mistake. Good player, but assistants have to put in a lot more hours on the road and for a lot less pay than what NBC gives him. He wouldn't have lasted, IMO.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aw yeah.

Auburn five star WR commit Nate Craig-Myers on UGA's Thomas Brown hiring: "That's a big move, McClendon recruits me & now he's the WR coach."
BTW, Shea Patterson committed to Ole Miss today as expected.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Kelly can afford to take a project behind Zaire/Kizer/Wimbush, but we whiffed on Henry/Patterson (mores Henry). Great get for Hugh Freeze.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kelly can afford to take a project behind Zaire/Kizer/Wimbush, but we whiffed on Henry/Patterson (mores Henry). Great get for Hugh Freeze.
Haha, yeah. It's pretty rare to land top QB prospects in three straight years.

Although I don't know why these blue chip QB's keep looking at Notre Dame. Brian Kelly has not produced a first round NFL QB or developed a great college QB.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
To be fair he hasn't had anyone on the roster with good NFL potential, but the great college QB thing is a concern, especially if Golson/Zaire doesn't evolve into a stud this year. Wimbush is going to be his first QB with considerable talent that will appeal to the NFL, and if Golson corrals his turnovers he can be a damn good college QB, as the first half of last season showed.

Notre Dame has never had trouble recruiting highly rated QB's, although I don't know why anyone would want to play for Kelly considering his track record with consistently screaming at QBs. I'm certainly not complaining, though.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can't remember a head coach without those QB credentials that still continues to get guys to sign. I guess that's a credit to he and his staff as recruiters.

He even landed Gunner Kiel back when he was a consensus five star prospect according to the recruiting services.

I talked about this with @Nimretiz, but I really wish Wimbush stayed with Penn State. There would have been a clear succession plan when Hackenberg goes pro and they have some good athletes at WR to throw to.

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
Ideally, he would have went somewhere else other than either of these two schools. Penn State would have been a faster track to playing time, but the skill/OL talent between the two schools is highly slanted in favor of ND. I think he would be scary at a place like Oregon.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Everybody would have been scary at Oregon.

:laugh:

I'm actually surprised they couldn't do better than Travis Waller. He's raw, but I'm sure they'll develop him into a good QB.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Shea Patterson shoots up to #1 on my 2016 Spring Draft Board.
Kareem Walker looks like the real deal and I have a feeling his commitment may still be up for grabs since his commitment was in the middle of the national championship and probably just an impulse move.

Although I am so happy Damarkus Lodge will have a good QB throwing him the ball for 3 of his 4 years.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Whoa, five star WR Demetris Robertson (Savannah, GA) decommits from Alabama.

It sounds like it's down to UGA, Stanford & Alabama

1 - 20 of 62 Posts