Registered
8,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BULLS
@
CELTICS

Sunday March 26, 2006 3pm TD Banknorth Garden Boston

Series: Bulls lead 2-0.

Last meeting: Bulls won 118-86 on Dec. 17 in Chicago.

Records: Bulls 30-39, Celtics 29-41.

Bulls probable starters ppg:

G Chris Duhon 8.6; G Kirk Hinrich 15.7; F Luol Deng 13.7; F Andres Nocioni 12.0; C Michael Sweetney 8.5

Celtics probable starters ppg:

G Delonte West 11.9; G Wally Szczerbiak 18.8; F Paul Pierce 27.1; F Ryan Gomes 6.4; C Raef LaFrentz 7.7

Story line: The Bulls signed 7-foot-1-inch rookie center Luke Schenscher for the rest of the season. Bulls coach Scott Skiles got the lift he wanted from a new starting lineup, which had Gordon coming off the bench, in Friday's victory over the Hornets. Now he's looking for consistency. The Celtics are trying to put together a playoff push but are four games behind the 76ers for the final spot, while the Bulls trail Philadelphia by 2½.

tribune

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
As unlikely as it sounds, a win tomorrow could give us a chance to make the playoffs.

Also, the Sixers are facing a Pacers team who just got J.O. back. They fought hard against Detroit and only lost by three, so the Sixers could have a tough day tomorrow. That game is on ABC, so everyone will get a chance to watch the game and see what our chances are after those two games.

Predictions: Bulls win: 90-84
And Pacers win vs. the Sixers: 107-99

If we win and the Sixers lose, we are officially back in the playoff hunt. It's kind of weird how we are a crappy team this year, but we can still have a chance to slip into the playoffs. Has that ever happened before (well, of course most teams in 8th spot are bad), but I mean teams with sub-.500 records getting in the playoffs: has that happened before?

·
Registered
579 Posts
PowerWoofer said:
Has that ever happened before (well, of course most teams in 8th spot are bad), but I mean teams with sub-.500 records getting in the playoffs: has that happened before?
It happens all the time. In fact I'd wager that most of the time in whichever conference is weaker at the time that sub-.500 teams are the norm among the lowest seeds. Many of the early MJ-era Bulls teams slipped into the playoffs with losing records as low seeds - in fact one of those teams won precisely 30 games and still crept in the back door.

·
Premium Member
9,839 Posts
A story from the Boston Globe:

Gomes aware of what Celtics face

WALTHAM -- When Ryan Gomes went through predraft workouts following his junior year at Providence College, he visited Chicago. The Bulls gave Gomes a look, then executive vice president of basketball operations John Paxson asked the power forward to recommend a player from the Big East outside his position. Without hesitation, Gomes named Ben Gordon. The Bulls selected the 6-foot-3-inch Connecticut guard with the third pick in the 2004 NBA draft.

As a rookie, Gordon earned Sixth Man of the Year honors. This season he is averaging 16.4 points per game in 30.8 minutes. He has started 41 of 67 contests. Stopping Gordon will be one of the keys for the Celtics when they face the Bulls today at the TD Banknorth Garden.

''I watched him a lot that year that he came out," said Gomes. ''That performance he put on in the Big East Tournament was phenomenal. I knew he was going to be a good player in the league. It was just at his position, shooting guard, I didn't know he would be able to do the things that he's doing. So, I don't know if I get credit for them drafting him that early. But I'll take it."

If only Gomes knew then what he knows now about the Bulls being a roadblock in the Celtics' bid for a playoff spot. The Celtics enter today's contest a game and a half behind the Bulls in the Eastern Conference standings. To have a shot at eighth-place Philadelphia, the Green must first jump over Chicago. Judging from past meetings between the teams and video shown to the Celtics yesterday, getting past the Bulls will be a tough task

·
Registered
30,191 Posts
This is a must win game as are the two games against the 76ers.

Basically if we win the following games:

Boston
Orlando
Charlotte
Philadalphia
Philadalphia
Atlanta
Orlando
Toronto

The games we should/need to win, we'll have 38 wins. Then Washington, New Jersey, and Indiana are all winnable games also. And then for that game against Miami, lets hope they are benching everyone to rest them for the playoffs!

Sixers on the otherhand have some more tough games to worry about:

They have Detroit, Cleveland, and Miami left, and then basically the same caliber of competition that we have.

Boston has about the same schedule as us.

So basically, it comes down to who beats who the most in the Bulls vs. Celtics vs. 76ers.

Also, take note that the Sixers and Celtics both have to play the Knicks twice, Knicks have a lot of weapons, so hopefully they win ONLY 4 more games all year.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Bulls win

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
PowerWoofer said:
If we win and the Sixers lose, we are officially back in the playoff hunt. It's kind of weird how we are a crappy team this year, but we can still have a chance to slip into the playoffs. Has that ever happened before (well, of course most teams in 8th spot are bad), but I mean teams with sub-.500 records getting in the playoffs: has that happened before?
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2004.html

That Celtics team pretty much made the playoffs by default, they were terrible.

Then of course there is:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1986.html

But that was a different era back then I guess. But still, finishing 22 games under .500 should not get you the playoffs in any league. Mathmatically, it is the equivalent of finishing 6-10 in football and making the playoffs.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
UMfan83 said:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2004.html

That Celtics team pretty much made the playoffs by default, they were terrible.

Then of course there is:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1986.html

But that was a different era back then I guess. But still, finishing 22 games under .500 should not get you the playoffs in any league. Mathmatically, it is the equivalent of finishing 6-10 in football and making the playoffs.
I'm sure we can get at least another 7 games. If we somehow win 10 more (highly doubtful), I'd actually rethink my thought about how the season has been. I mean, this season has been disappointing, but if we could finish 40-42, make the playoffs, and maybe take Detroit to 5 games, that's a good season in my book (considering how young and inexperienced we are). It's still a possibility anyway.

GO BULLS!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
PowerWoofer said:
I'm sure we can get at least another 7 games. If we somehow win 10 more (highly doubtful), I'd actually rethink my thought about how the season has been. I mean, this season has been disappointing, but if we could finish 40-42, make the playoffs, and maybe take Detroit to 5 games, that's a good season in my book (considering how young and inexperienced we are). It's still a possibility anyway.

GO BULLS!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:
wow that's the most optimism I've ever seen from a post from you :eek8:
haha

·
Registered
103 Posts
sloth said:
Well, the Sixers did their part today, now its up for us to do ours.
We definitely need to capitalize...I really feel like we're gonna get the eight seed. Hopefully we do, and then we'll have a matchup with the Pistons. Of course, we probably won't win that series, but if we make it to the playoffs, I have a feeling we can get under the Pistons' skin, steal a win or two, get valuable playoff experience, and get into their heads to set the stage for future battles...

But first things first, we absolutely have to take care of all the mediocre teams we play. Playing the top teams really tough is only half the battle; we have to crush the weak ones too.

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
jordanwasprettygood said:
We definitely need to capitalize...I really feel like we're gonna get the eight seed. Hopefully we do, and then we'll have a matchup with the Pistons. Of course, we probably won't win that series, but if we make it to the playoffs, I have a feeling we can get under the Pistons' skin, steal a win or two, get valuable playoff experience, and get into their heads to set the stage for future battles...
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOoo

LOL @proabably won't win the series

u forget that the playoffs and the regular season are TWO different things

the pistons would absolutely MURRRRRRRRRRRRRDER the bulls and steal their souls..

you guys can't be serious on here man....

1 - 20 of 129 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.