Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1081 - 1100 of 1118 Posts

·
The Future is Here
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,081
futuristxen said:
I love how hard it is to knock Tevez off the ball. There were a few times yesterday where he was literally just bouncing off of Villa defenders and keeping going. He and Rooney may be the two hardest players to bring down in the world.

MonkeyBallz, what do you think about the future of Carrick/Hargreaves/Anderson?

Will Carrick be happy sharing time with the other two until Scholes retires?

How does Fletcher fit in, on the tale end of his masterful evolution for Scotland?

Can we play a system that would accomodate more of these players and make us even better?

Should we switch to three at the back and play a system like Barca does once Hargreaves gets healthy? And then just rotate Fletcher, Anderson, Carrick, and Scholes situationally?

That's problematic because one of our signiture things is our wing-backs like Evra and Neville. And with the Brazillian twins and Simpson, I'm not sure that's something to give up.

It's a happy problem for Sir Alex to be sure.

I guess in theory though what we are looking at is once Giggs and Scholes retire in two years, Nani and Anderson play their positions, and then Carrick, Hargreaves, and Fletcher share that other spot. With Fletcher also providing cover for the two wing positions.

I just hope we aren't stunting Fletcher's growth. He showed last year against Roma that he can be every bit the game changer, and I think his potential is to be a mixture of Hargreaves and Carrick(strong ball winner, with savvy passing skills).
the future is bright with those three, in a 4-3-3 formation they compliment each other perfectly. It's almost impossible to replace Scholes/Keane, but with Anderson we already have the Scholes replacement, Hargreaves and Carrick can adaquately do the job, but SAF is forming a squad that has a bit more flair than the previous era so we will have to wait on this master plan.

I think Carrick will still get most of the games these season despite what I said earlier about Anderson. Anderson although with potential to be far better than Carrick has yet to play in a game that is more physical than technical. These include the likes of Blackburn and such. I think there will be enough games to go around for Hargreaves, Carrick, Scholes, Anderson, SAF is experienced enough to best utilize a rotation unlike a certain someone (cough* Benitez cough*).

I really don't know how Fletcher will fit in, he's not good enough defensively to displace Hargreaves, he's not good enough offensively to displace either of the three. He's really a tweener, he's a good squad player to have. I'm just not sure he is content with being a squad player, if he is to advance his career he will have to move because he is good enough to start at half of the EPL clubs. There are also guys in the reserves like Darron Gibson who could take his place.

We should stick to what has worked for us and that is the 4-4-2, of course that is the basic and there are a lot of variations to it. As I mentioned earlier, in Europe we should use the 4-3-3, Tevez, Rooney, Ronaldo up top, Anderson/Scholes, Carrick, Hargreaves.

I don't think we will ever play 3 at the back, SAF is a traditional manager and doesn't seem like the type to change his ways that easily.

futuristxen said:
Who is top flight competition in your book?

And Anderson has been a revelation in the last two games he's played, which incidentally are 75 percent of the sample size you've had access to, so I don't know how much weight I'd give your notion of him sucking so far this year. He was out of shape and injured for the first two months. He's finally regaining some of the form he had in Portugal. He was amazing against Wigan, which won him the starting job against Aston Villa, where he put in a very class performance. Didn't try to be flashy, but he definitely was integral in the ball movement that routinely made Villa's defense look grade school at best.

He's still very very young, but he's already starting games for Sir Alex. That has to tell you A LOT. I expect he'll continue to improve as his confidence goes up and up.

And if we can have a healthy Hargreaves, I think we can shut down AC Milan if we face them this year. The few times Hargreaves has played, he's played like a maniac ball-winner. It looks as though Sir Alex might finally have his Gattuso.

Either way United are the reigning Champions. So neener neener neener.
Anderson has been great, I have no idea what Gian is talking about. He was awesome against Wigan, not only did he show his exquisite range of passing, but he was everywhere on the defensive aspect as well. He is no Ronaldinho, a very typical in the sense number 10, more like Kaka. Not saying he isn't flashy because he can be if he wants to. He was less spectacular against Villa but a very mature solid performance. He hardly lost the ball, picked his passes well and adjusting to this higher tempo of football. The thing is he demands the ball, a 19 year old kid demanding the ball from Scholes says a lot about his confidence and maturity in football (no prostitute jokes :biggrin: ). In no time this kid has the potential to be as good as Cesc if not better.

Nani is good, but Anderson is simply better with much higher potential. Ask anyone who watches the Portuguese league, they will tell you Anderson was the far better player last year. As for being at Lucas's level? what has Lucas proven? he's a DM that likes to get forward, Anderson is the much more highly rated player. Anderson was called up to the Brazilian squad for Copa America while Lucas was left to play in the U20 WC which he didn't even do.

I'm looking forward to the match against Kiev this week, this is the type of game where Anderson can cause havoc.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Didn't see his last games. I'm sorry. I'm glad he's doing great even if it's for the Mancs. Been a fan of his since his Porto days so he's probably one of the few Mancs I like along with George Best. :) Perhaps I was disappointed with his early performances.

In defence of Lucas, he was the hero in the recent Merseyside derby so I'm in a bit of a high.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
You have every right to be worried. The two Manchester teams look absolute quality this year
ehh. I seem to remember one team winning the championship and then spending £50M the summer afterwards, while another was fourth and made profit in the transfer market in the summer. I don't know what I should be worried about? that arsenal has a genius as a manager?

I don't think arse's run is going to last for the whole season anyway (unless wenger spends some £ in january), they've had really easy schedule so far (tottenham, west ham & blackburn away being the toughest matches).

to get back on topic, drooling over saturday's match was just too much. that was not premier league defending by villa. any defender in the world could have done better than knight in the opening goal. I really expected more from them, but that was derby-like..

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
el_Diablo said:
to get back on topic, drooling over saturday's match was just too much. that was not premier league defending by villa. any defender in the world could have done better than knight in the opening goal. I really expected more from them, but that was derby-like..
I don't think we really mind who or what the goals were against. We won a bunch of 1-0 games in a row, and needed to see our scoring from last year return. And it has. 9 goals in the last two games. We were the top scoring side in the league last year, and we have upgraded our offensive talent further. I think now that we are getting players into rhythm and shape, you'll see us become quite the entertaining swashbuckling side that we were last year.

The last two games should have the rest of the league on notice. United is back to scoring goals!

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
A few points:

1. Where will the goals come from?
2. Tevez and Rooney can't play together, they are too alike.
3. City is a MASSIVE club.

God I hope the Arse squash Liverpool tomorrow. A 7-0 scoreline would be fantastic. Then I could pull this one out:

4. This year is Liverpool's year!

Oh dear what a wonderful week so far it has been.

·
The Future is Here
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,087 (Edited)
bball2223 said:
Viva la Man U, seriously though hows the team doing this season?
Well at the start not so good, we went three matches without a win and endured a major goal drought. Of course this was partially down to the new influx of players, Rooney injured and Ronaldo suspended for 3 games. Since then, things have clicked, todays victory over Middlesbrough marked a new record of 4 straight 4 goal games. The partnership between Rooney and Tevez is blossoming and becoming quite deadly, their chemistry and understanding is simply remarkable for 2 players playing less than 3 months together, this sort of duo hasn't been seen since Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole. The other young players are blossoming as well, Nani will replace Giggs and Anderson will replace Scholes, Scholes still has a lot in the tank so Anderson won't be taking that role full time. All in all it's an exciting time to be a Manchester United fan.

here's that fantastic 3rd goal from today
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=IO7FMUC1

·
Through The Wire
23,071 Posts
MonkeyBallZJr said:
Well at the start not so good, we went three matches without a win and endured a major goal drought. Of course this was partially down to the new influx of players, Rooney injured and Ronaldo suspended for 3 games. Since then, things have clicked, todays victory over Middlesbrough marked a new record of 4 straight 4 goal games. The partnership between Rooney and Tevez is blossoming and becoming quite deadly, their chemistry and understanding is simply remarkable for 2 players playing less than 3 months together, this sort of duo hasn't been seen since Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole. The other young players are blossoming as well, Nani will replace Giggs and Anderson will replace Scholes, Scholes still has a lot in the tank so Anderson won't be taking that role full time. All in all it's an exciting time to be a Manchester United fan.

here's that fantastic 3rd goal from today
http://www.megavideo.com/?v=IO7FMUC1
Good to hear, I have always admired Soccer from afar but I have never gotten into watching it much. I do know that Man U is one of the premier soccer clubs in the world and its good to hear them doing well.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
And Hargreaves is back just in time to mark Fabregas :) He really is the ball winner Sir Alex has been looking for since Keane left. What a presence on the field. Some of those challenges today were amazing.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
I have to admit, Nani's goal was fantastic.

I still want another drunk guy to smash Slur Alex's balls though.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
1-1 will be okay I guess. I guess in theory that's the best result for us in terms of both teams losing points. But I really wanted Arsenal to win that game. They certainly deserved it. It would have capped brilliantly the miserable week that Liverpool have had.

I was interested in how well Mascherano did at breaking up Arsenal's flow. I think Hargreaves could do that role pretty well. Wonder how Sir Alex will play it.

·
The Future is Here
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,092
Bad news...Scholes out 3 months
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7059527.stm

Luckily we have 3 CM's to fill the void.

In other news Jaap Stam has retired
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=462182
Stam was always one of my favourite defender, in a way Vidic is very similar too him but Stam just had an aura about him that inspired fear into players who played against him, shame it did not work out between him and SAF, he'd probably be here right now retiring.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
We're so really really good. This team could develop into the greatest side Sir Alex has had. Which is saying a LOT. I don't remmeber a time when we've had this many players who could win the game by themselves as we do currently.

Someone on another forum described it perfectly. We're not playing beautiful football. We are playing sexy football. We're not just doing it to be looked at an admired. We're doing it to produce results. The cutting edge on our team is tremendous.

Can't wait till Anderson starts banging them in.

And Ronaldo is quietly having an even better year than last year.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
^IMO the famous squad with Stam, York&Cole and Schmeichel was a little stronger (also more experienced) or at least as strong as this is. However, today's squad is more perspective one and has a bright future ahead. SAF seems to be very satisfied:

Sir Alex Ferguson believes he has his best-ever Manchester United squad:
..."I believe this is the strongest squad I have ever had," Ferguson said. "So much so that I think I would be pushed to name my overall best team.

"We have young players, led by Rooney and Ronaldo, now joined by the likes of Nani, Tevez and Anderson. In fact, it's difficult to know when to stop when talking about our important players."...
http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5inAbpkBVof5SE04DSwPjkQ348Eqg

As for young Anderson, I'm still not sure what is his best playing position. I believe his regular position is attacking MF, but we've seen him playing well also as a central MF and even defensive MF, so I'm little confused about his real role in the squad...

·
The Future is Here
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,096
canadianpress eh:biggrin:

I think when SAF says strongest squad he means depthwise, I don't think this team can over take 99' 'YET', but it sure has a lot more pace though. As for Anderson, he probably is more adept at playing AM, that's essentially what he is, but there's no room for a AM in a 4-2-2, I guess SAF is moulding him into a box to box player. I would like to see him up at the top of a 3 man midfield of Carrick and Hargreaves.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I think Anderson's future is as Scholes replacement, but he will probably be more box to box with than Scholes ever was. He's the complete kind of midfielder that Dunga will definitely love. Could see him becoming a major force for Brazil's future and being the glue for any future midfield they may have.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Anderson's an attacking mid, IMO. He should be given (nearly) free reign at the top with Rooney and Tevez because Carrick and Hargreaves can hold the middle. CRonaldo and Nani can wreak havoc on the wings. :yay:

·
The Future is Here
3,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,100
YOu know who would pair well with Anderson?

Velaso :)
nah, he is absolutely a quality player but we don't need him. We didn't fork out out all that money for Carrick and Hargreaves to get another player. Also he ain't no defensive mid and I sure as hell don't want to rely on him to mark say Kaka...he's quite slow and essentially the same player as Carrick.

1081 - 1100 of 1118 Posts