Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
Re: Reports: Phil Jackson and the Lakers agree to a contract.

That was quick...

·
do better
41,522 Posts

I mean he wasn't doing anything. Either you want the job or you don't

And depending on what you read this isn't something that sprouted up just yesterday either

Interesting move but I contend again Brown wasn't the problem so what makes them think Jackson will be the solution. He can't guard Russell Westbrook...and he can't give you 25 smart, athletic minutes on the wing.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts

They can put Kobe on him. Westbrook makes so made bone headed plays, Kobe can afford to get blown by 2-3 times a game by Westbrook.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts

You think Westbrook will blow by Kobe 10 times a game?

Dude is so bone headed, he will take 10 bad jumpers a game, I don't see him taking 10 other lay ups.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts

What was OKC's average margin of victory over LAL in the playoffs? Not much, and it happened mostly in the last two minutes.

I don't think Westbrook blowing by Kobe is going to be a major problem, especially with Mr. Defense manning the paint. This isn't the same situation with a slow and lazy Bynum.

·
do better
41,522 Posts

Wishful thinking.

Like I said though, they have no answer for defending the point guard spot and a weak bench, that has nothing to do with Mike Brown or Phil Jackson.

EDIT: I'll give Phil the benefit of the doubt that it's possible they can zen their way through, but it's going to be very tough. I'm not going to count someone with 11 rings out of anything completely though.

·
Premium Member
51,478 Posts

@Chris_Broussard
Phil has already contacted some of his old asst coaches, source says.

·
Registered
16,561 Posts

How's Darius Morris on the defensive end? He certainly has the size to guard Westbrook. Or Duhon if he has anything left.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts

He's shown that he has the quickness and tenacity, he just makes boneheaded rookie mistakes. Had himself a good game yesterday against Curry though.

·
Registered
11,643 Posts

I'm not too concerned about Westbrook if I'm the lakers. The bigger problem is getting Howard and Nash into executing the triangle quickly and their lack of depth.

Nash should learn the triangle fairly quickly, Howard is a question mark to me.

I don't see Lakers winning it this year, even with PJax, they do scare me more though.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts

I'm not too concerned about Westbrook if I'm the lakers. The bigger problem is getting Howard and Nash into executing the triangle quickly and their lack of depth.

Nash should learn the triangle fairly quickly, Howard is a question mark to me.

I don't see Lakers winning it this year, even with PJax, they do scare me more though.
I still didn't really see them winning at all, if they were to have had a great start to the season I would still be saying Miami. Howard is a great replacement over Bynum in every way and Nash is still a great point guard but I can't see anyone beating the current Miami Heat team.

·
Mammal
2,299 Posts

Regardless of whether this works out well or not, as an NBA fan, this is simply awesome. For Phil to come back at the twilight of Kobe's career for what is, I assume, assuredly Phil's final campaign -- this shit just doesn't write itself.

Feed into the stereotype all you want of Jax only coaching multi-headed monsters, but the fact of the matter is this guy has a reputation for bringing in a mentality that not many other coaches can offer. Of course, he has to show he can still has it himself.

·
Snapping Necks and Cashing Checks
12,586 Posts

@Mike_Bresnahan: Lakers' meeting with Phil Jackson is over. No official job offer was made but it's well understood that the job is Jackson's if he wants it.
Premature Phil Jackulators...

·
Administrator
67,770 Posts

So... the triangle?

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts
Re: Reports: "The job is Jackson's if he wants it."

guess phils not satisfied with his career... see's a couple more hall of famers he can get rings for

·
do better
41,522 Posts

It's not that he's not satisfied with his resume or whatever...I was watching the Jimmy Johnson football life episode (what I'm about to say is ironic) and LeBatard was talking about how coaches are just drug addicts...and they'll always come back if they find the right situation. So in that regard there's nothing that satisfies people like that.

Phil Jackson is just a basketball coach and pretty much everything he's been doing the past year has probably been stuff he'd usually do around basketball season...hard to make hobbies become your new life especially when the game is still so fresh.

Lucky for coaches, unlike athletes they can just keep coming back health permitting.

67 years old is not that old in coach years.

·
I'm perfectly calm Dude
13,413 Posts

It's not that he's not satisfied with his resume or whatever...I was watching the Jimmy Johnson football life episode (what I'm about to say is ironic) and LeBatard was talking about how coaches are just drug addicts...and they'll always come back if they find the right situation. So in that regard there's nothing that satisfies people like that.

Phil Jackson is just a basketball coach and pretty much everything he's been doing the past year has probably been stuff he'd usually do around basketball season...hard to make hobbies become your new life especially when the game is still so fresh.

Lucky for coaches, unlike athletes they can just keep coming back health permitting.

67 years old is not that old in coach years.
The right situation for Phil is whichever team has the most hall of famers on it

1 - 20 of 154 Posts