Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Nets now probably have the best defensive starting lineup, even in Mutumbo's old age. The two weak-links defensively are gone.

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
anyone else wanna share their opinions on the trade?

i think of it this way - good starting lineup...good bench...and thorn is doing what he can to keep kidd. he got him a back up, and now he got him a big guy.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not that worried about losing the points they put up... I'm confident that we'll be able to easily get it elsewhere.

My thinking about the trade:

1) We're much better defensively. Everybody, in the starting lineup or on the bench is good (or great) defensively. We have no more weak-links after getting rid of our two defensive weaklinks.
2) We're a much better fast-break team. Mutumbo, while old, is still one of the better rebounders in basketball. He's perfect for getting the ball, and getting it right to Kidd. I also think that Martin will be a better rebounder next year than Van Horn was last year... as now Martin gets to play a little closer to the basket defensively. Also, replacing Van Horn with Jefferson gives us another runner to go with Kittles/Martin.
3) We save a lot of money. Mutumbo's contract is up after 3 years. Van Horn's is for 4 more, and Macs is for 5.
4) We free up a future-center spot for Krstic (with Mac gone)... and we have him learn from a four-time defensive player of the year for whenever he does come over.
5) We avoid possible bad-blood between Martin/Van Horn next year.
6) We show Kidd we're willing to make a huge commitment to winning. He wanted a big man, we got him one.
7) We open up a roster-slot.

One thing I'm a little worried about... is that we lose some outside shooting from Van Horn. However, I'm confident that Kittles will look sharper next year, and Jefferon's shot will look much better.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BBallFan</b>!
... Also, replacing Van Horn with Jefferson gives us another runner to go with Kittles/Martin
I forgot about Jefferson, he'll be getting about or just under 20 ppg, so it will make up for the loss of Mac, and VH

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
do the Nets still have Jamie Feick? if so, depth in the front court is not an issue. Aaron Williams and Feick can play behind Martin, or play when Martin slides over to SF (he'll have to, if Richard Jefferson is the only other SF on the team)

my opinion of the trade is this:

Nets have decided that now is their only shot to win it all, and are sticking their necks out to do it. It's a great idea, on paper -- but didn't we see this with the 76'ers just two years ago?

the make up of the two teams is not identical for sure, but if the idea is to have someone to contend with Shaq, we all saw that Mutombo is only marginally effective to do so -- and he's only getting older. The Nets are a stronger team, especially against the Eastern conference... but i can't hold out much hope for beating any of the frontrunners in the West.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why are you making it seem like this trade doesn't help for the future?

The Nets save a whopping 27million dollars over the course of all three contracts.

The Nets get out of paying Van Horn a max contract to be a backup... Jefferson is the 3 of the future, Martin is the 4 of the future.

The Nets open up a future spot for Krstic. Krstic/Collins are the future centers, not MacCollouch. MacCollouch would be expendable later, so why not get an upgrade in talent for the present?

Also, don't underestimate what Collins (and later Krstic) can learn watching Mutumbo play.

As for playing against the Lakers... Shaq absolutely burned them when Mac or Aaron Williams was defending him, while he was somewhat contained/bothered by Collins. Adding Mutumbo gives the Nets 48 minutes of "solid D" on Shaq, as opposed to the 20-30 minutes of watching him dunk all over Aaron and Mac like they weren't even there.

(also, they really don't need Feick to have good frontcourt depth. Aaron Williams and Collins to backup the 4/5 position is sufficient)

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
Originally posted by <b>the_truth</b>!
I forgot about Jefferson, he'll be getting about or just under 20 ppg, so it will make up for the loss of Mac, and VH
Jefferson is not going to be scoring no 20 ppg. He will be at more like 15 a game and even that will be good. He still lacks experience, especially at the 2 spot.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Nets......C-ya back in the Finals!!!

This is VERY, VERY good for the Nets.....
Deke will always help improve a team, The Nets displayed a high powered offense last year and that will only continue to grow with Kidd running up the courts. Now you have Deke waiving NO-NO in the paint.....You now have a outstanding balance of " O & D " The starting 5 is solid, with finals experience overall....The Nets will be favored. Good luck!!.......C-Ya'll in the West!!
;)

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I agree with BBallfan on this trade. Collins has learned well and he is your center of the future. He can learn lots with Deke there for a few more years.

Jefferson is SO much better than KVH. I like this trade for the Nets and I think it is showing Kidd that the Nets mean business with a committment to winning, which is what Kidd wants.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you guys high? You have to pay Mutombo $53 million for 3 years...his contract balloons to $20 million next season and he has 1 year left in him! How did you save money? .

Mutombo has lost it....he has nothing left in him....

The Sixers rid themselvesd of him and his contract and got two bodies 10 years younger....

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Odom07</b>!
Are you guys high? You have to pay Mutombo $53 million for 3 years...his contract balloons to $20 million next season and he has 1 year left in him! How did you save money? .

Mutombo has lost it....he has nothing left in him....

The Sixers rid themselvesd of him and his contract and got two bodies 10 years younger....
If I am not mistaken someone did the calculation before and the Nets saved $27 millions in next 5 years. Now I hope they could add a sweet-shooter like Rodney Rogers or Dell Curry because they basically have no consistent outside shooter after KVH is gone...

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Originally posted by <b>MightyReds2020</b>!
If I am not mistaken someone did the calculation before and the Nets saved $27 millions in next 5 years. Now I hope they could add a sweet-shooter like Rodney Rogers or Dell Curry because they basically have no consistent outside shooter after KVH is gone...
The only problem with that... is if you sign someone, who deserves to have their minutes cut? I can't see anyone on the team who deserves less minutes than they'd probably get without any changes.

And you're acting like we lost a superstar shooter. We lost a very good shooter for his height, but Van Horn is far from a star shooter. He shot 34% from 3 last year, and made only roughly 1.25 a game.

Would it be that unrealistic if Jefferson could shoot like Van Horn did from behind the arc next year? (even though he didn't shoot many threes, his shot looked very good in the summer league)

Would you be that upset if Kerry Kittles shot more 3s next year? He made roughly the same amount as Van Horn, at a better %. He could easily get more looks from behind the arc... his 3-point attempts dropped from 400+ in his rookie year (when he shot 38%) to only 240 last year. Kerry Kittles has a better 3-point % for his career than Van Horn had in his best year.

I'm very happy with the 9-man rotation we have now, that can easily jump up to a 10-man rotation if Slay proves he deserves some minutes off of the bench (which I think he'll do... and he'd be another shooter).

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TheRifleman</b>!
I think it is showing Kidd that the Nets mean business with a committment to winning, which is what Kidd wants.
i'm glad that i'm not the only one who sees that. so many people are saying "do you really think that kidd will stay because the nets signed mutumbo?" the answer is not necessarily, but at least kidd sees that thorn is doing all that he can to provide the team (and kidd) with what they need.

·
Registered
13,107 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BBallFan</b>!

I'm very happy with the 9-man rotation we have now, that can easily jump up to a 10-man rotation if Slay proves he deserves some minutes off of the bench (which I think he'll do... and he'd be another shooter).
Thats something I really like about the nets and Scott, he gives everyone a chance to play which will give them another shot at the finals.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts