Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
Super excited for this show. Not much more can really be said. I was rewatching all of the Wire in preperation for this show.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Enjoyed the premiere. Aesthetically, looked just like The Wire (obviously a bit more color).

I was digging all of the storylines except for Freamon's, unfortunately. But, after seeing the previews, it's looking like his son is going to play a big part.

Steve Zahn is the standout so far, for sure.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Very much enjoyed it... Already anxiously awaiting a soundtrack... Nice to see a LOT of familiar face for anyone who has ever watched a thing about NO. Hell, ol' girl Antoine is living with was that lady Phyllis from the Spike Lee documentary...

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
2.5 hours of this show and I can safely say that this show sucks and is boring as hell.

It's like a soap opera and there's no reason to care about a single one of the characters. The music is supposed to be what ties everything together but it feels sloppy, and it's more about getting musicians bit parts to play roles.

I think a main reason for the difference in feel between this and the Wire is that Simon and his staff were familiar with the DMV so they didn't have to try so hard to instill it into the series. At the same time they made you care about the characters earlier.

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
2.5 hours of this show and I can safely say that this show sucks and is boring as hell.

It's like a soap opera and there's no reason to care about a single one of the characters. The music is supposed to be what ties everything together but it feels sloppy, and it's more about getting musicians bit parts to play roles.

I think a main reason for the difference in feel between this and the Wire is that Simon and his staff were familiar with the DMV so they didn't have to try so hard to instill it into the series. At the same time they made you care about the characters earlier.
I very much agree with you, at least so far (I mean, not about it sucking and being boring, but it's certainly not anything special).

The character thing is HUGE. They haven't established any great characters so far. Yeah, they're intriguing and you like them, but the characters are solid if nothing more.

The drama is lacking too, although it's picking up a bit. The chick searching for her brother is the most interesting thing. Don't really care about that resteraunt lady at this point. Don't care about Steve Zahn's plight to find a job, even if he has been an enteraining character...his story isn't. Don't care about Wendell Pierce going from gig to gig. Clarke Peters as the Indian chief is picking up a bit. John Goodman seems to just be on the show to rant about how the government ****ed up, but I guess his arch is starting with his book writing? I don't know.

I'm not hating it. But I'm a bit disappointed. I'm expecting better though. If anything, I've learned that usually Simon gives you the pay off you wanted. I'm still waiting for the pay off, which I feel will eventually come. Hopefully.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I still like it, I don't much care for the street musician storyline, but I like the rest of them for the most part. The Indian one seems to be the most intriguing, especially after last episode.

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
I dont know, its not the Wire but its cool I like it, started of a little slow but its getting interesting for sure, what did you guys expect, this is a David Simon show not some action thriller, of course its gonna be about the characters and there is gonna be a lot of build up, its not gonna be constant shoot outs and twist cliff hanger endings.

·
Kwisatz Haderach
31,773 Posts
I dont know, its not the Wire but its cool I like it, started of a little slow but its getting interesting for sure, what did you guys expect, this is a David Simon show not some action thriller, of course its gonna be about the characters and there is gonna be a lot of build up, its not gonna be constant shoot outs and twist cliff hanger endings.
I don't think anyone here was looking for "constant shoot outs or twist cliff hanger endings". Personally I was looking for more reason for me to care about the characters but instead I found myself simply watching and not having anything invested in any one because he tried too hard to show too much.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts