Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that these offseason moves would definitely make the Lakers 4-peat:

Sign Gary Trent PF- He scored 16ppg one season for the Mavs, but has been put on the bench ever since, he can still play and had a good scoring and rebounding season last year.

Sign Jerome James- He came out of nowhere last year and had a surprising season, he can rebound, block shots and is a decent scorer, would be the perfect back-up for Shaq.

Sign Troy Hudson- The Lakers traded away Hunter, so now they need another PG. Hudson had a breakout season last year, becoming one of the top back-up PG in the league.

Sign Bryon Russell or re-sign Devean George- If the Lakers can't re-sign Devean George, they can go after Bryon Russell. He lost twice in the finals with Utah, so he is hungry for a ring. He isn't as great a player as he used to be, but he could still provide a great shooting touch.

Re-sign Brian Shaw- Brian Shaw is still a great help to the Lakers, they should try as hard as they can to re-sign him.

Re-sign Mitch Richmond- I'm not talking long term, I mean another 1 year contract. He has said that he wants to play another year with LA, so the Lakers might aswell sign him.

Some how get rid of Walker:D .

The Lakers lineup would look like this:

C- Shaq/Jerome James/Madsen
PF- Gary Trent/Horry/Madsen
SF- Fox/Bryon Russell/Tracy Murray
SG- Kobe/Kareem Rush/Brian Shaw/Mitch Richmond
PG- Fisher/Troy Hudson

That lineup would 4-peat;) !

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I could see the Lakers signing Trent-Hudson-Rusell, but I don't think that James would come to us..he wants PT and money-which he wont get playing behind Shaq. I also think we shouldn't sign Shaw AND Richmond-way too cluttered...who would be on the IR? There are 14 guys there. I don't think they will get rid of Samaki either.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James was kind of wishful thinking;) .

A team can have a maximum of 15 players, so they should have more than 12. If they don't resign either Shaw or Richmond, they will need another SG who can atleast fill the open slot.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Here are some IMX options...

Sign Gary Trent <---Cheap

Sign Lee Benson <---Cheap

Sign Jacque Vaughn <---Cheap

Sign Jeff McInnis

Sign Lee Nailon

Sign Kevin Ollie <---Cheap

Greg Buckner <---Cheap

Kevin Willis <---Cheap

Donyell Marshall

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Originally posted by IMX

Sign Jeff McInnis

Sign Lee Nailon

Greg Buckner <---Cheap

Kevin Willis <---Cheap

Donyell Marshall
Out of that list-I would like Trent-Vaughn and Buckner.
Benson is a problem child-McInnis is too expensive and I think he is a chemistry problem.-Nailon is okay-but I dont think we would have a chance at him-Ollie isn't worth it-Willis is as old as a tree..and Marshall is way too expensive.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
I think the Lakers can 4 peat as is, resign Shaw because he passes to shaq alot :D

Other then that, just get scrapy vets that don't shoot too much(unless they can hit open jumper consistantly)/In other words not like lindsey hunter.

I think they shouldn't spend much money, unless it's a one year mid level exception w/ a good PF who just wants a ring and then leave. Nothing longer then one year.

C-shaq
PF-Walker/Madsen/(Medvenko if he stays)
Sf-horry/fox
Sg-kobe
PG-fisher

Rush can come in and play either guard position if they take kobe or fisher out.

Madsen has been improving alot in summer league :D almost got a triple double, although summer league competition isn't that great.

·
Registered
11,761 Posts
shaw is main backup PG and your good to go :)

find a quick PG for defensive purposes only for quick guards and you don't need much else.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hahaha, if only the Lakers had enough money to do all that and sign all those people. But I do agree with re-signing Brian Shaw and getting rid of Samaki (I've always thought he didn't belong with the team). I don't agree with re-signing Mitch Richmond though, he hardly did anything for the team this year.

Back to watching Shaq on Leno now.....

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by IMX

Sign Jeff McInnis

Sign Lee Nailon

Greg Buckner <---Cheap

Kevin Willis <---Cheap

Donyell Marshall
You forgot Troy Hudson.:D

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Troy Hudson is actually the only one of those I really like and am convinced that can happen, outside of D-George of course. The Lakers need a quick, offensive-minded point guard and Hudson is one of the leagues best in that regard. Shaw and Richmond have to be paid at least a million so they are therefore too expensive to keep under the luxury tax. Trent- we already have enough PFs and Trent isn't signifcantly better than any of them. James- people over-pay for 7 footers.

Re-sign George, sign Hudson.

PG- Fisher, Hudson
SG- Kobe, Rush
SF- Fox, George, Murray
PF- Horry, Walker, Medvedenko, Madsen
C- Shaq, McCoy

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Lakers can definitely get Hudson, if they spend enough money.:yes: Hudson started off his career with the Clippers and I think he has a house there, so he would be comfortable in LA. Plus, the Lakers need a back-up PG with Lindsey Hunter gone. It doesn't have to be a long term deal, because Jannero Pargo is playing very well for the Lakers in the Summer League, and he could see a contract some time soon.

The Lakers also need a starting PF. Samaki Walker isn't their answer, Horry always backs up at PF until the Playoffs, and Slava and Mad-dog will definitely not start at PF. They need to either not re-sign Slava or get rid of Samaki Walker, so they can sign Gary Trent. Trent would be the perfect fit.

If Jelani McCoy doesn't buff-up in the offseason, they will also need a center who can come in and provide a presence in the middle. They can't have a sissy that is afraid to bump bodies.:no:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts