Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im a longterm cavs fan but I stopped posting since the ESPN boards changed(some might recognize my username from espn)

I think we have the best chance of any team to be instant contenders in the offseason with a few key moves...

1) Let J-mac and Z Walk

2) Trade Drew Gooden and filler to New Orleans for Jamal Magloire

3) Sign Michael Redd

4) Sign Brevin Knight and a few role players

we would have a great lineup and be instant contenders.....

PG - Snow
SG - Redd
SF - James
PF - Varajao
C - Magloire

IMO thats the best move and would make a killer team..what about you guys?

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
I don't want to lose Z. He's the second best Center in the league.

I agree with letting Mcinnis walk. Of course then we need to sign a competent backup to Snow. Someone better than Kevin Ollie, preferably.

Here's my plan:

Resign Z.
Sign Kyle Korver.
Sign Marko Jaric.

Jaric/Snow
Korver/Sasha/Jiri
Lebron/Luke Jackson/Newble
AV/Gooden
Z/Diop

maybe hold onto to Diop as a backup if he is cheap.

That lineup would give you a ton of shooting. And Jaric is a good defender.

I think Jaric is a free agent, right?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
futuristxen said:
I think Jaric is a free agent, right?
He's a restricted free agent. I would think the Clippers would want to keep him though (IMO).

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Here's what I'd like to see:

1) Throw a $20M contract at Earl Watson and see if he bites (he may want to stay in Memphis).

2) Throw $15M at Jerome James to play backup C. Drop Diop for cash and a cheeseburger.

3) See if you can nab Joe Johnson with a $65M offer sheet this summer. Though, the offer sheet amount the Cavs can give JJ will depend on how much they resign Z for. Which leads to #4.

4) Resign Z to a reasonable contract. Supposedly he'll take a 3 year deal, probably close to $30M (maybe more, who knows).

5) Lastly, and this is more far fetched, but maybe the Cavs can swing a deal for a better power forward. Offer young talent (Welsh, Sasha, etc.) plus Gooden for an impact 4 may be possible. Keeps AV on the bench, where he can play the sparkplug role he's so good at doing. I hear Boozer is unhappy in Utah and the Jazz are looking for cap relief. Would Cavs fans and management be able to forgive and forget? ;)

future, Jaric is a UFA, but I know a couple beat writers in LA that just recently told me his left foot is chronically injured and that it's threatening his career. He's already fractured his foot twice this season that the public knows about, and he had trouble with that same foot in Serbia too. Damaged goods IMO.

BBB said:
He's a restricted free agent. I would think the Clippers would want to keep him though (IMO).
He's UFA actually: http://www.dfw.net/~patricia/contracts

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Resigning Z is a no-brainer: It's priority number 1 hopefully he goes for a reasonable amount 10-12 million a year. You're not going to get equal value for him

Letting McInnis walk is a no-brainer. His play of late does not warrant the Cavs wasting cap money to resign him

Then the ideal might be either go after Joe Johsnon or Mike Redd. Or try to sign Simmons to a lesser deal in an attempt to snag Earl Watson. This might not work as the PG's available this summer are few so team might overypay for guys like watson or antonio daniels

Personally PF for me is fine the combo of AV and Gooden is more then adequate surrounded by Z and Lebron. I hope the Fat Man goes somewhere else as well

Before I forget the other priority is to fire Silas - he's not going to be the coach to take this team to the promise land

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
Assuming we dump Jmac (everyone agrees on this), and we resign Z, the only real holes are the SG and backup PG/C positions.

Looking at the free agent list, these are the likely candidates for those spots (barring trade):

U = unrestricted, R = restricted

SG/SF -> Redd (U), Allen (U), Johnson (R), Hughes (U), Simmons (U), Korver (R), Radmanovich (R), Bonner (R), Bell (U),

PG -> Jaric (R), Watson (U)

C -> Dalembert (R), Gadzuric (R), Jerome James (U), Potapenko (U)

There are quite a few talented wing players on the market this summer, any 1 of Redd/Allen/Johnson/Hughes would be fine with me. Another route we could go is to sign Radman, start him at the SF and move James to the SG which I think could work very well.

For the backup PG spot the only person I want is Earl Watson, i'm not a big Jaric fan and like EHL mentions he has injury problems.

The center spot is slim pickings, after looking at the list it's pretty much imperative we bring Z back. None of the choices are that great, and out of the guys available in our price range i'd look at Gadzuric. He would come cheap and bring alot of energy alongside Varejao.

Potential lineup:

PG - Snow / Watson
SG - (Redd/Hughes/Johnson) / Sasha / Newble
SF - James / Jackson / Jiri
PF - Gooden / AV
C - Z / Gadzuric

I like that team alot. I have no problems with Gooden/AV at the PF spot, they are both young and should get better. We're still lacking that instant offense player off the bench but it's very balanced.

Radman lineup works the same except you could bring in another guy like Simmons along with him and put together a package of our redundant wing players for a better center, PG, or draft picks.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
I like Vlad but I just don't see Lebron every being a full time SG again. Unless he has some Reggie Miller/Prince blood in him he is going to continue to get bigger as he ages. I just don't with that size we can depend on James to guard a lot of the quicker SG's out there. Lebron going to be IMO one of those players (Dr. J, Worthy) who are true SF"s not the hybrids we see a lot of nowawadays

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
Pioneer10 said:
I like Vlad but I just don't see Lebron every being a full time SG again. Unless he has some Reggie Miller/Prince blood in him he is going to continue to get bigger as he ages. I just don't with that size we can depend on James to guard a lot of the quicker SG's out there. Lebron going to be IMO one of those players (Dr. J, Worthy) who are true SF"s not the hybrids we see a lot of nowawadays
True. Okay then pick up Simmons+Vlad+Watson, have Simmons start at the 2 and have Vlad as the primary backup 3/4. Instant offense off the bench and the ability to create some major matchup problems.

PG - Snow / Watson
SG - Simmons / Sasha / Newble / Jackson
SF - James / Vlad / Jiri
PF - Gooden / Vlad / AV
C - Z / AV / whoever

Solid start 5, against zones you can put Simmons/Vlad/Watson with James and you have 4 guys capable of hitting the 3. Perimeter defense suddenly becomes solid with Snow and Simmons.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
^ Well that would work for me. I just don't know if we have the cash for all three. Simmons and Watson should be enough. One of our three SG's (sasha, jiri, or luke) should be able to develop into at the minimum of a solid backup.

Our frontcourt once we resign Z will remain formidable till Z retires

·
Maybe Next Year....
10,212 Posts
Pioneer10 said:
^ Well that would work for me. I just don't know if we have the cash for all three. Simmons and Watson should be enough. One of our three SG's (sasha, jiri, or luke) should be able to develop into at the minimum of a solid backup.

Our frontcourt once we resign Z will remain formidable till Z retires
As you can tell I like Radman..

Doesn't seem like anyone else shares my optimism about his game :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts