Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, lets assume its the beggining of the offseason- best, buford, mercer (bought out), thomas, cliff, scalabrine and jabari are free agents--our team looks like this (players signed for next year)--

pg- kidd/vaughn/zoran
sg- vince/????/zoran
sf- rj/????
pf- ????/????
c- nenad/collins

i think our offseason priorities then rank-

1. starting pf
2. 3rd forward
3. scorer off the bench (swingman) to be 3rd/4th guard
4. 11th man- forward?
5. 12th man- whoever

if we add # 1, 2 and 3 to that team we are very deep and very balanced

so looking at that, we have options to choose from (in most likely used order)

1. draft pick most likely in the teens
2. mle
3. trade exemption + draft pick
4. sign and trade/trade- cliff + filler + picks

so then going to back to my priorities, i think this scenario is possible

1. SAR-sign and trade involving cliff+zoran/mercer+draft pick (dk which one)
2. Warrick/ Charlie V. (draft) with pick in teens
3. not sure--here we have many options, a guy like kareem rush with the mle or with some team looking for cap relief we can use the trade exemption
4. scalabrine?
5. 2nd round pick/ drejer or anyone

a team of

kidd/ vaughn/ zoran
carter/ rush/ zoran/ 12th man
rj/ charlie v/ scalabrine/ 12th man
sar/ collins/ charlie v/ scalabrine
nenad/ collins/ charlie v?

or some version of that is a very very good team
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,964 Posts
Center looks thin, I'd add another center to the mix. Nothing special, maybe Jabari back or a minimum type to play.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
jkidd333 said:
pg- kidd/vaughn/zoran
sg- vince/????/zoran
sf- rj/????
pf- ????/????
c- nenad/collins

...

kidd/ vaughn/ zoran
carter/ rush/ zoran/ 12th man
rj/ charlie v/ scalabrine/ 12th man
sar/ collins/ charlie v/ scalabrine
nenad/ collins/ charlie v?
Love to see that happen.

My dream offseason would be...

Kidd/Vaughn/Zoran
Carter/Jefferson/Zoran
Jefferson/Marshall (FA/TE)/Zoran
SAR (FA/TE)/Marshall/PICK #1
Krstic/Collins/PICK #1

Go with a 10 man rotation... get some of the younger guys like Zoran and our pick time to develop.

-Petey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
510 Posts
I was thinking.....How about Collins and another player play PF and Kristic and another player play center..

I think that Collins could do better as a PF than center.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,099 Posts
I'm starting to think that if we bring in FA PF we might be better off using our draft pick elsewhere. I'd love this offseason:

1) Sign Shareef Abdur-Rahim for the full-MLE (maybe wishful thinking, but a possibility)
2) Trade the remaining trade exception + a 2nd round pick for Eric Williams
3) Draft Rashaad McCants with our first-rounder, low-mid teens.

Ideally we'd have enough playmaking ability with Carter/Jefferson that we can get away with playing McCants when Kidd is out of the game... but I'd like to have Vaughn back as a solid insurance policy. Playing with a combination of Carter/Jefferson/Shareef/Krstic can mask the fact that Vaughn won't score at all.

I'd like Robinson back too, as an insurance policy for good bigman depth. But if we bring in Abdur-Rahim (or Marshall, or a starting-caliber PF) we won't really need him with the fact that we can throw a small-lineup with Jefferson at PF for stretches as well.

It'd leave us with the following lineup:

PG: Kidd/McCants?/Vaughn
SG: Carter/McCants
SF: Jefferson/Carter/Williams
PF: Abdur-Rahim/Collins/Williams
C: Krstic/Collins

which I think would be a near-impossible team to matchup against.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
If we want a quality big man we need to get rid of at least one of our backcourt stars.We saw that Vince and Kidd can carry the offense.What we need with them is a strong low-post presence that can score and rebound at the same time.And we can get that kind of a player easily by trading-unfortunately-Jefferson.If we want the ring we need a big man.And clearly we will not be getting a ring without Kidd and Carter so we need to trade Jefferson for a big man that also needs to convince Kidd by his name and by what he has done so far.Not Swift,not Etan Thomas(actually that was last year)or a "hot-prospect".Kidd has 2 or maybe 3 years left and he cant wait for a youngster to improve.By the way hi ! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
you know anything about the three first round picks the nets got for kmart? i know nets trade two of the picks to the raptors for vince. but whats the status on the third pick, i know they had some sort of restrictions and protections but will it benefit the nets more if they use that third pick this offseason
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
memosure said:
If we want a quality big man we need to get rid of at least one of our backcourt stars.We saw that Vince and Kidd can carry the offense.What we need with them is a strong low-post presence that can score and rebound at the same time.And we can get that kind of a player easily by trading-unfortunately-Jefferson.If we want the ring we need a big man.And clearly we will not be getting a ring without Kidd and Carter so we need to trade Jefferson for a big man that also needs to convince Kidd by his name and by what he has done so far.Not Swift,not Etan Thomas(actually that was last year)or a "hot-prospect".Kidd has 2 or maybe 3 years left and he cant wait for a youngster to improve.By the way hi ! :D
Welcome to the board memosure.

Don't think SAR, Marshall or even Evans will be there for the MLE or our trade exeception?

Don't think that will satisfy Kidd?

-Petey
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
J Pops said:
you know anything about the three first round picks the nets got for kmart? i know nets trade two of the picks to the raptors for vince. but whats the status on the third pick, i know they had some sort of restrictions and protections but will it benefit the nets more if they use that third pick this offseason
3rd pick this year?

That is crazy...

The 3rd pick is from the Clippers. There is only 1 protection on it.

If the pick is a lotto pick this year, the Clippers keep it. If they make the playoffs, we get the pick.

BUT...

We get the pick regardless next year.

-Petey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
MLE is too much for Evans.Yes,he can rebound and defend but Nets will keep struggling with him when Carter has an off-night on the offense.
Marshall is too inconsistent.He is having a pretty good season in Toronto but he is definitely not enough if we want to get the championship.Besides he is not a great defender and he is a bit old.But still he is one of the best 6th man in the league.
Well SAR is worth a bit more than MLE so i think Blazers wont give up on him easily in the offseason.Definitely more effective than Martin on the offense but wont bring the same intensity as Martin used to bring on D,and thats the most important part.But if we have a chance to get him in the offseason,i say he'll be a great addition and if we think that he never saw the playoffs and once he has Kidd and Carter with him,i believe he'll play like an All-Star again.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
58,028 Posts
memosure said:
MLE is too much for Evans.Yes,he can rebound and defend but Nets will keep struggling with him when Carter has an off-night on the offense.
Marshall is too inconsistent.He is having a pretty good season in Toronto but he is definitely not enough if we want to get the championship.Besides he is not a great defender and he is a bit old.But still he is one of the best 6th man in the league.
Well SAR is worth a bit more than MLE so i think Blazers wont give up on him easily in the offseason.Definitely more effective than Martin on the offense but wont bring the same intensity as Martin used to bring on D,and thats the most important part.But if we have a chance to get him in the offseason,i say he'll be a great addition and if we think that he never saw the playoffs and once he has Kidd and Carter with him,i believe he'll play like an All-Star again.
They have Zach, I don't think they have any intentions of keeping SAR.

-Petey
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
263 Posts
if david lee of florida falls to the second round i would like to see rod pick him up. he is a big guy that can run the floor and dunk with the best of them. imagine giving kidd the passing options of vc, rj and lee...it could be hightlight mania. the kid has size at about 6'10 and can rebound well along with shoot the mid range j. for the the first round pick charlie looks like a good pick but i also like brandon bass from lsu.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top