Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coach Jones held a Zoom call last week with supporters of the program, not sure if anybody else was on there. Coach talked a lot about last year's journey, starting with the Spain trip and going through the whole season's ups and downs - the win at SC, the slump in Mexico (apparently 4 guys had terrible food poisoning the whole time- Whyte, McCoy, Vilarino, Petcash I think), the resurgence in conference play and then the great run through the tourney.

Coach and the athletic dept are really hoping to use the championship to help with recruiting, thinks they've gotten a lot of good press about it. They are sending every clip to prospective recruits to make sure they know we're a winning program.

Max is obviously going to play next year, he said Max had gotten a few calls from NBA teams and may be invited to a camp, but will likely end up in Europe where there's been a lot of interest.

He didn't speak of the incoming freshmen, but did say he's thinks Daman Tate can help us next year. He said nobody can replace Max on the inside, but he thinks Suk and Hemphill, with some help from Tynen and Whyte, can hold down the middle.

Finally, Coach said the out-of-conference schedule was all set now. I wasn't taking notes but I remember we'll be visiting Texas and GW, along with some old friends like (don't quote me) Albany, Vermont, New Hampshire.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Thanks for the update! Great tidbits. I'll be at the Texas game if they are in fact coming.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Thanks for the summary.

Unlike 2011, I think it is unlikely Coach Jones leaves BU for another job, which is good because I would like to see if the program can build momentum after the championship. Coach Jones has recruited well since he arrived at BU, but maybe the championship gives him that extra edge to lure in higher rated recruits. Getting to the top is a big accomplishment but it will require a lot of work to stay there.

I'm sure Mahoney will get looks by NBA teams. I would not be surprised if the Celtics offer a workout; it seems like they have in the past for other BU players. Maybe the Sixers or Wizards due to their BU connections. Mahoney currently does not have the perimeter game for today's NBA game, but his footwork and post-moves are some of the best I've seen. Maybe that is enough to stand out from other players.

And I guess it should not be surprising BU is playing games in Texas. I think these are games for McCoy and Vilarino, who both have ties to the state.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I've been thinking about this more but there is definitely a real chance for BU to capitalize on this and hopefully stay at or near the top of the Patriot League. I imagine Colgate will probably be favored again next year but the Colgate job is one of the toughest in the Patriot League, a testament to Langel, and you wonder how much long-term success and league dominance they can really have and how much longer Langel will be there until he gets a high-level gig.

Colgate will be good, Navy should be pretty good, and Loyola will be interesting; but Bucknell is down, Holy Cross is... a wreck, Lehigh rebuilding, American is without Sa'eed... there is a real opportunity right now.

Having said that, Max was the best player in the league last year and will be hard to replace. According to Bart Torvik, Max provided an additional 3.9 adjusted points above replacement (PRPG!) per game compared to our next two highest players in Whyte and McCoy at 1.8 PRPG! Really wish we could have held on to Guest, we are gonna be very thin at the 4/5 next year. I could see us being in the 2/3 range again.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've been thinking about this more but there is definitely a real chance for BU to capitalize on this and hopefully stay at or near the top of the Patriot League. I imagine Colgate will probably be favored again next year but the Colgate job is one of the toughest in the Patriot League, a testament to Langel, and you wonder how much long-term success and league dominance they can really have and how much longer Langel will be there until he gets a high-level gig.

Colgate will be good, Navy should be pretty good, and Loyola will be interesting; but Bucknell is down, Holy Cross is... a wreck, Lehigh rebuilding, American is without Sa'eed... there is a real opportunity right now.

Having said that, Max was the best player in the league last year and will be hard to replace. According to Bart Torvik, Max provided an additional 3.9 adjusted points above replacement (PRPG!) per game compared to our next two highest players in Whyte and McCoy at 1.8 PRPG! Really wish we could have held on to Guest, we are gonna be very thin at the 4/5 next year. I could see us being in the 2/3 range again.
It seems like the league is losing a lot of key players next year, so yeah, maybe BU can stay near the top. Based on returning players, I think Lafayette will be preseason number one, especially if Petrie is back. Next could be BU or Colgate (I expect Jordan Burns back) at two and three. I don't know if there are any impact players coming in but some teams have big shoes to fill: Bucknell (Toomer, Sotos), Army (Funk, Wilson), Lehigh (Cohen, Karnik), Loyola (Kostecka), American (Nelson).

·
Registered
2 Posts
It'll be an interesting league. Colgate is loaded at the guard position with Richardson, Burns, Cummings, and Ferguson all returning. Plus they added a guy from Houston Baptist who is supposed to compete for a starting spot. Plus with Evtimov from Western Carolina and Malcolm Bailey, who is supposed to be an athletic freak, Colgate should be deeper than they were during 19-20. Loyola is scary to me. Aldama can really play, plus it looks like the coach has some connection with the Spanish National Team. I love Cam Davis at Navy, the kid can play. They should be pretty good. How good are BU's recruits this year? Also will Hemphill be starting? He just screams 7th, 8th man to me.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
It'll be an interesting league. Colgate is loaded at the guard position with Richardson, Burns, Cummings, and Ferguson all returning. Plus they added a guy from Houston Baptist who is supposed to compete for a starting spot. Plus with Evtimov from Western Carolina and Malcolm Bailey, who is supposed to be an athletic freak, Colgate should be deeper than they were during 19-20. Loyola is scary to me. Aldama can really play, plus it looks like the coach has some connection with the Spanish National Team. I love Cam Davis at Navy, the kid can play. They should be pretty good. How good are BU's recruits this year? Also will Hemphill be starting? He just screams 7th, 8th man to me.
Welcome to the board, BP'20.

I agree Colgate is deep at the guard positions. Burns might be the front-runner for player of the year, unless he does the unthinkable and remains in the NBA draft. Big question is replacing the defense and production of Rayman and Ivanauskas.

BU is also deep at the guard position. McCoy, Harper, and Vilarino are good. I also expect a bigger role for Brittain-Watts, plus there is a returning Pascoe. Petcash should be a steady source of three pointers and Tate can be an X-factor if he plays at an A10-level like the level he was recruited at. I'm not sure how much to expect from the incoming recruits, especially since most are perimeter players.

I expect Mathon to be the starter, but Hemphill should receive a near equal share of minutes. As long as both can defend, rebound, and provide a little offense then BU should be okay.

Continuing with Hemphill, I think his production has not matched his talent. I like his skillset, big body and a nice shooting stroke, but he has not received consistent playing time to produce. I'm sure having Mahoney in front limited Hemphill's playing time because Coach Jones wanted to play Max as much as possible. Coming into BU, Hemphill had decent hype and he was invited into one of the elite prospect camps, the NBPA Top 100. Here are a couple of articles with Jack being mentioned with high-major (or NBA) players.

Take 5: NBPA Top 100 Local Standouts Day 1 | Prep Hoops

NBPA Top 100 Camp Scouting: East Coast Seniors (Part 1) | Prep Hoops

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also think inconsistent playing time has hampered Jack's production and development. It felt like he'd often make a nice play to get open and then clang the layup off the rim... stuff like that. In order words, things that are cleaned up with in-game reps. I'm not sure I expect a big leap this coming year, but I think it's possible. I do hope he picked up a thing or two from watching Max for 2 years, esp. how to work hard (same goes for the whole team).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was really impressed with how Mathon can switch and guard the guard position effectively. I still take Colgate over Lafayette as the favorite. Petrie takes a lot of shots and he isn't so efficient. I almost think they are better without him. Jaworski is a monster though. He's my pick for player of the year. They don't have many bigs however. Theyre graduating most of their size and really only return Quinn. Quinn is ok, he had some bright spots this season but needs to get in better shape. I think the sleeper is Loyola. No one really knows how good Aldama can be. They're pretty young and they seem to work for their coach. Should be interesting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I will be very surprised if you guys are not picked for 1st preseason. Although Mahoney is a big loss, everyone else theoretically returns.,which is more than Colgate can say. They lose two of the league's top players - both of whom had made 1st team All-PL. I don't see Lynch-Daniels, the transfer from Houston Baptist, being much of a difference-maker. As a soph he averaged 8 ppg for a bad team and hit only 30% on threes,while shooting a ton of them. In high school, the only offer he got was from Houston Baptist btw. For Colgate to win it, they will need one of the Canadians - Sam Thomson or Bailey - to turn into a strong player really quickly. Bailey missed all of this past season with serious surgery, so it's unclear how much he will contribute. I see them being picked for 2nd in the official PL poll.

I think Lafayette will be the pick for 3rd. They return a lot - although losing two 6-8 regulars (Cherry and Jarrett) will hurt them. Petrie should return, but that is likely not as big a deal as some think. Don't forget that he was not a starter for much of his sophomore year - and for the last six weeks he was a 20 mpg sub. He had two problems; a) plays poor defense; and (b) lost his effectiveness inside the arc,shooting only 41% on twos (and he shot a lot of them). Lafayette always plays terrible defense, and I think that will hurt them more than it did this past year. After LC, I would pick Loyola - assuming that Aldama and Dike return from Europe (and I have no reason to think they won't). In addition to those two, they are slated to add yet another strong Spanish big man. I think Navy will be the choice for 5th, followed by Bucknell in 6th. Then Lehigh, American, Army, and Holy Cross. Those are not necessarily my picks, but where I think teams will show up in the preseason poll.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Patriot League will cancel fall sports: Source: Patriot League to cancel fall sports

With college kids home for the semester for the most part, I think it's fair to ask if winter sports are the next domino to fall. Or at least be delayed.

To me, it's questionable we will get a full BU basketball season in 20-21. Might be lucky to have just a conference season take place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts