Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with zbo getting that possibly career threating surgery do we draft a pf?

Talk about major disappointment!

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
QRICH said:
If we want to take that rout, trade up (if you can) for Bogut.
If booger is the real deal (and this scenario is true)..I'd almost hope they get the #1 pick, take him, and move Theo to the backup PF and Booger to the back/starting C spot behind Joel.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Hap said:
If booger is the real deal (and this scenario is true)..I'd almost hope they get the #1 pick, take him, and move Theo to the backup PF and Booger to the back/starting C spot behind Joel.
If we lucked out and got the best Australian center since Luc Longley, I'd play him a fair amount of minutes and start him as soon as possible. Unless a team is contending for something, I'm in favour of getting young guys out there and developing as quickly as they can. This isn't football, nobody's gonna get their will (and spine) crushed if they're not quite ready.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Utherhimo said:
with zbo getting that possibly career threating surgery do we draft a pf?

Talk about major disappointment!
I think it's a little premature to say Zach's injury is career threatening. Even possibly.

Then again, the sky seems to fall more often in Portland than anywhere else.

:rolleyes:

PBF

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
ProudBFan said:
I think it's a little premature to say Zach's injury is career threatening. Even possibly.

Then again, the sky seems to fall more often in Portland than anywhere else.

:rolleyes:

PBF
:worship: :laugh:

Nicely said, PBF. I nearly spewed apple juice all over my monitor, keyboard, and desk after reading that last sentence!:greatjob:

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I do not think that Zachs injury is career threatning, but either waywe should do whatever we could to get Bogut, including trade ANY member of the blazers. Yes, that includes Telfair and Outlaw and Zach and ...

I have been watching Bogut this season because one of my best friends team is Utah. He is the real deal. I think that he will be a duncan caliber player in the NBA, and at worst a J Oneil. The man can flat out play. And what is real nice about him, is although he could do a great job at Center where he is now, I think that he could play PF extreemely well. He has defence skills and Offence skills that are increadable. He moves in all directions with ease and is not hampered by different types of defenders because he has the complete range of offence skills. He can bang inside, post with his back to the basket, juke head on, or take the jumper. Plus, he is so skilled at getting the ball to the open man once the double team comes.

I do not think the blazers will be able to trade up without using telfair as bait, but I say it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
[STRIKE]One can only hope it's a career ending injury[/STRIKE]...then he can retire and come off the cap. :banana:

You can argue that we overpaid for him, but I hope that nobody here ever truly wishes that any player ever gets injured, much less a career ending injury gambitnut

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Minstrel said:
If we lucked out and got the best Australian center since Luc Longley, I'd play him a fair amount of minutes and start him as soon as possible. Unless a team is contending for something, I'm in favour of getting young guys out there and developing as quickly as they can. This isn't football, nobody's gonna get their will (and spine) crushed if they're not quite ready.
I would rather hope he is the first Australian center that is actually a good player if he is the number one pick...Luke Longley was a waste of good Oxygen on the court. :biggrin:

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Minstrel said:
If we lucked out and got the best Australian center since Luc Longley...
If by that you mean he's only ALMOST AS GOOD as LL, I'd hope we'd immediately forget he even exists.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The one thing this injury makes certain is that Zach will at least start the season as a Blazer like it or not. If they had any idea of trading him, looking for good offers, it would probably be impossible now. With his contract, who would offer something good until be comes back from his injury.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I think it might be a little tough to get the #1 pick if the ping pong balls don't go our way. So I think plan B should be Chris Taft. 6'10-6'11" C/Pf. Very athletic, nice back to the basket game. Would fit in nice with our new style of play. He also has ties with Sebastian Telfair. Both grew up on the same block in Coney Island, and are good friends. NBAdraft.net updated their site tonight, and now have Taft going to us at #6.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
I like Taft. Out of the top canidates listed in the top 5, he is my favorite, even ahead of Bogut, but then again I haven't got to see Bogut play a lot, and I hear he has a "Nasty" streak that a lot of centers don't have. Anyhow, Taft I think is a genuine pick because he has the defensive skills of a Ratliff (he is very good at blocking shots) but yet he has an excellent offensive game, making him a good all around player. If Zach was healthy, you could still have him at center. Chances are the Blazers will be drafting about where Taft goes anyhow, not higher.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
QRICH said:
I think it might be a little tough to get the #1 pick if the ping pong balls don't go our way. So I think plan B should be Chris Taft. 6'10-6'11" C/Pf. Very athletic, nice back to the basket game. Would fit in nice with our new style of play. He also has ties with Sebastian Telfair. Both grew up on the same block in Coney Island, and are good friends. NBAdraft.net updated their site tonight, and now have Taft going to us at #6.

No offense, QRICH, but if Taft is the best player available at #6 (assuming that's where we'll pick), then I'd hope that we either trade down (for a later pick + a player or an additional pick) or trade the pick all together (in a package deal, which would hopefully land us the SG that we so desperately need). It's not that I don't "like" Taft, or that I don't think he's a decently talented player, I just don't think that he's worthy of a #6 pick. Then again, that's just my opinion. I guess, though, that this is why it'll be crucial to see how the new CBA will effect this year's draft (if at all). Depending on what happens, or is expected to happen, within the new CBA, we might see a bunch of talented underclassmen declare (Marvin Williams, Rudy Gay, J.R. Giddens, etc.)... thus deepening the talent in the draft and giving us more/better options.

As for why I'm not really sold on Taft:

I've seen him play a lot of games and he looks very disinterested in what's going on around him. Clearly he has the physical ability to dominate at the college level, but I've RARELY seen him do so. If you could throw Chevy Troutman's (Taft's teammate) head on Taft's shoulders I think he'd be a no-brainer of pick, at #6. However, that's not the case. The only thing that I've heard about him, that makes any sense for the Blazers to draft him, is what you just said about him knowing Telfair. Not that I think that they should draft him based upon that, but I suppose if it's a toss-up, talent-wise, between Taft and another player who play the same position (PF) at the time when we make our pick, then the nod could be given to Taft based upon his prior relationship with Taft (assuming they have a good history with eachother).

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
hasoos said:
I like Taft. Out of the top canidates listed in the top 5, he is my favorite, even ahead of Bogut, but then again I haven't got to see Bogut play a lot, and I hear he has a "Nasty" streak that a lot of centers don't have. Anyhow, Taft I think is a genuine pick because he has the defensive skills of a Ratliff (he is very good at blocking shots) but yet he has an excellent offensive game, making him a good all around player. If Zach was healthy, you could still have him at center. Chances are the Blazers will be drafting about where Taft goes anyhow, not higher.

I guess all you haven't been watching Taft much this year....He has been playing horrible all year......His offensive game is suspect, and his defensive game isnt anything near Theo's.....I would rather take Hakim Warrick.......

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
thylo said:
I do not think that Zachs injury is career threatning, but either waywe should do whatever we could to get Bogut, including trade ANY member of the blazers. Yes, that includes Telfair and Outlaw and Zach and ...

I have been watching Bogut this season because one of my best friends team is Utah. He is the real deal. I think that he will be a duncan caliber player in the NBA, and at worst a J Oneil. The man can flat out play. And what is real nice about him, is although he could do a great job at Center where he is now, I think that he could play PF extreemely well. He has defence skills and Offence skills that are increadable. He moves in all directions with ease and is not hampered by different types of defenders because he has the complete range of offence skills. He can bang inside, post with his back to the basket, juke head on, or take the jumper. Plus, he is so skilled at getting the ball to the open man once the double team comes.

I do not think the blazers will be able to trade up without using telfair as bait, but I say it's worth it.

Jermaine O'Neal at the worst huh?......

thats pretty bad..... :raised_ey

1 - 20 of 32 Posts