Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would three NCAA tournament bids make the WCC a college basketball power conference?

Yeah, we only averaged 3.25 for 20 fucking years and you've called us a mid-major every single one of those years... which coincides with when you reduced your contract with us significantly! Go figure!

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the big problem with a secret formula, and not have a "Raw number" for a final NET.

It seems like EVERYONE this week is losing their shit over "Team A loses and stays the same, or even GOES UP!"

But a team's "NET" isn't 1, 2, 3... 353. That's their NET RANKING. This kind of thing happened with RPI, too, because EVERYONE'S RPI (the raw number) was basically constantly falling just a bit.

Easy example is this: After the first day of baseball season, 15 teams are 1.000 and 15 teams are .000. Each day the season goes on, the more likely any team in baseball is to move TOWARD .500. You can't go 162 MLB games undefeated, it's just insane. Even the worst teams in baseball history win 50 to 60 games.

Every day of the college basketball season, the raw numbers move towards .500 (especially because of conference play, when conferences go .500 against themselves it lowers your SOS.

So Duke's RAW went down. Almost everyone's went down, except maybe Florida State, Creighton and Dayton.

How did Duke's NET ranking not go down? Because EIGHT OTHER Top 13 teams ALSO LOST. And those who didn't (FSU and Creighton) jumped up to right behind Duke. We don't know the gap between them now, and we don't know what it was before. It could have gone from

6 Duke (.7500), 9 Florida State (.7100), 13 Creighton (.7000) to
6 Duke .7250, 7 Fla St (.7249), 8 Creighton (.7240).

And that would TOTALLY MAKE SENSE. But without the RAW and only the rankings, people are freaking out.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Raw numbers, blah blah, etc. I don't care.

Just comparing those blind resumes alone, it is completely and wholly improbable that the team on the left would have a better NET ranking. If the BE can't even get a fair shake against a P5, does anyone here honestly think the A10 will be more than a 1 bid league? Or 1+Auto unless that Auto is Dayton.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That didn't have the desired effect. You were suppose to continue your rant...not descend into some logical rendition.
I mean, I'm preaching to the choir here on that stuff. I found the video mildly amusing because the guy's like "To me that says mid-major" and it's Duke. Not because he confused Duke with a mid-major, but because it shows someone's NET and record and if he's supposed to be following college basketball, he should know that no mid-major is No.6 with 5 losses. SDSU, Gonzaga and Dayton, who have 1, 2 and 2 losses. The first "mid-majors" are East Tennessee State and Northern Iowa in the mid-30s early 40s.

How you follow college basketball two weeks before Selection Sunday and not have a good ballpark of where teams is crazy to me. Most blind resumes are silly for that reason; they're for average fans who don't pay attention to the data component and say things like "We have 20 wins, so we're like, automatically in, right?"

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Raw numbers, blah blah, etc. I don't care.

Just comparing those blind resumes alone, it is completely and wholly improbable that the team on the left would have a better NET ranking. If the BE can't even get a fair shake against a P5, does anyone here honestly think the A10 will be more than a 1 bid league? Or 1+Auto unless that Auto is Dayton.
Before last weekend I thought that we could get 3 bids.

Assuming that UD, URI, UR and Bona are the top 4 seeds, I would be OK with the Flyer’s winning out in conference and losing in the quarter or semi finals.

I don’t see a URI win vs. UD making them a lock because they still would need to win another 3 wins anyways because a loss to SLU, UMASS or in the first game of the tournament makes it dicey. URI finishes up 2 and 1 in conference and wins 1 in the tournament and they get an at-large.

It gets interesting if UD loses in the quarters or semis and URI closes out like I described above and loses in the semis to Richmond. The A10 gets three bids in this situation, however, does UR play their way in to the tournament by winning out in conference and making the tournament finals? If so, the Spiders could lose in the finals and the A10 gets 4 bids.

I’m a homer for the Flyer’s, but I don’t see a Dayton loss in conference play benefiting the league because UR and URI both need to win more games. It’s better for UD to lose in the tournament because two more losses (one in conference and another in the tournament) knocks them off the 2 seed line. All this being said, the Flyer’s need to beat Davidson tonight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts