Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The site apparently has been hit with a virus, so they last two days of posting pretty much didn't exist. Anyway, our "Why is Manu not Starting" thread was erased, so we can replace it here.

On the local radio here in SA, Popovich does a weekly segment and here is a summary of what he said today (January 20):

- Manu not starting for now is "best for the team" Popoovich said that they lack a spark off the bench, and he is looking for Manu to be just that

- Malik Rose is not in the doghouse; He has been simply outplayed by Robert Horry (couldn't agree with you more Popovich)

- Popovich said that both Duncan and Parker haven't played well recently, which is part of the reason for the losses

- Popovich and crew is video taping Rasho's free throws in practice, and they are looking for more trajectory in his shot, and in Duncan's

Unfortunately, that was about it. It sounds like Popovich is serious about starting Manu on the bench.:( Popovich also seems to be in love with Boo Bowen. :no:

Popovich was asked why Manu lost his starting spot, and Popovich replied with "It's best for the team."

·
Registered
657 Posts
Popovich was asked why Manu lost his starting spot, and Popovich replied with "It's best for the team."
This can be true as long as Turkoglu is good . Lately , he made a quite good job , grabbing some rebounds , dishing out a few assists and overall preforming his duties . Will he be able to keep up the good stuff all the season long? Is he consistent enough? I have to admit that i doubt it. Anyhow , Ginobili will just get back in the starting lineup if it's turns out to be a bad decision.
Good coach that he is , Pop is trying a new casting and i don't want to criticize him for just being inventive . At any rate , it seems that somebody is missing... Did anybody say "stephen jackson?" ;)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
manu from the bench would be good if he would play 30 minutes per game.. but now is palying 20...
I think he must be always on the court.. he is essential for the team.. especially for his inventions and for the way he handles and passes the ball.. The offense is totally different with him.. He is by far the best passer of the team and one of the best passer in the league...
On Bowen I say he is absolutely lacking of talent, but we need him to play plenty because of his defense against best man of the other team.. Manu is a superb defender in the passing line, but on the ball is only average, and sometimes inconsistent.. he can't handle a star for 40 minutes... I think one reason why Manu is not loved by Pop, is his defense.. He looks for the steal everytime and this makes angry Pop..
Anyway I hope we lose some games so Manu comes back to the starting lineup:D

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
i remember how malike rose played last year, and how horry is playing now, is not better than rose was last year.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i remember how malike rose played last year, and how horry is playing now, is not better than rose was last year.
Malik Rose isn't playing as good as he did last year either.

However, Horry is playing much better than Rose, simple as that. Malik goes in and plays like a rookie, like he is nervous or scared about something. Horry is a solid, veteran PF who fits in perfectly with the Spurs. Another reason for Horry to be playing over Horry is because Horry can hit the three, which the Spurs haven't done too well at this season.

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
i see..... thats odd, i thought for sure the spurs would be really deep especcially with rose, and at one oint this summer, i felt that rasho wouldnt be consistent and rose would be the starter.... what happened??

·
Wolves Enthusiast
6,038 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts