Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im truly disgusted with what has transpired today. Draft day used to be an exciting time for the clippers. (remember the year we got miles, maggette, and a bunch of other stuff for mothing). And i waited two years (no 1st rounder last year) for this? For THIS? I now WISH that nick young was taken by new orleans...thornton still would have been a terrible pick, yet i probably wouldnt feel like we missed out so much.

Anyway, lets see just real quick how the west improved/got worse so far, compared to the clippers.

The teams better than the clippers in the standings:

1. Dallas - Dont think theres any question they are still better than the Clippers, and a lock for the playoffs.

2. Phoenix - same as above. This is the team that can GIVE away sergio rodriguez and rudy fernandez because they are so happy with their team.

3. San Antonio - Easily better than the Clippers, and are even better surprisingly after the draft long term.

4. Utah - Some feel over acheived last year. Thus ill analyze them in my next post.

5. Houston - I dont think theres any doubt theyre better than the clippers, and lock for th eplayoffs.

6. Denver - Deffensive player of the year, and two superstars. That means playoff lock and better than the clippers in my book.

7. Lakers - Possibly the most messed up situation out of any team in the league right now. We will analyze them in my next post.

8. Golden State - If theyre healthy..theyre dangerous...but they were only an 8 seed. Lets analyze them in the next post.

9. Clippers - will be analyzed in the next post.

10. New Orleans - will be analyzed in the next post.

11. Sacramento - will be analyzed in the next post.

12. Portland - will be analyzed in the next post.

13. Minnesota - will be analyzed in the next post.

14. Seattle - will be analyzed in the next post.

15. Memphis - will be analyzed in the next post.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First analysis, Utah. 11 games ahead of the clippers in the win column. My prediction: Back in the playoffs at worst, 7 seed. Why? Even if they over acheived, they did it with arguably their best player all of a sudden becoming just a role player (AK47). Okur/Ak47/Boozer...is there a better front court in the league? Williams one of the top PGs in the league as well. Barring injury, i say lock to be better than the clippers as the 7th seed.

Next: Lakers. I would go into an analysis, but i think its pretty obvious that barring any big moves, the lakers are in a complete mess right now. I dont see them making the playoffs as it stands right now. Id say theyre about even with the clippers.

Next: Golden State.
Starting 5: Bidrens > Kaman Brand >> Brandon Wright Jackson = Maggette Ellis > Mobley Davis > Cassell
Second 5: Obryant? = Williams? Harrington > T Thomas Barnes? > Singleton Pietrus > Ross Saras > hart?

And this is assuming bellineli doesnt come over. I think golden state on paper is better than the clippers right now...not sure if theyre a playoff team, but i say better than clippers.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Orleans

Chandler = Kaman; Brand > West; Maggette > Julian Wright; Peja >> Mobley; Paul >> Cassell
Armstrong = Williams; Thomas >> Simmons?; Butler > Singleton; Ross > ???; Jackson> Hart?

New orleans still has work to do at signing bodies, but right now i dont really rate the clippers as hands down better than the hornets. Julian wright in some circles was rated as top 5 talent. Paul a great PG. Peja healthy will be killer. Chandler improving...and they have room to make moves still. I think they start the season better than the clippers.

Next: Sacramento.

Miller = Kaman; Brand >> Thomas; Artest > Maggette; Martin > Mobley; Bibby > Cassell
Hawes > Williams; Thomas = Abdur Rahim; Garcia > Singleton; Salmons > Ross ???? = Hart?

This was a surprise when i broke this down. On Paper, i think sacramento is ahead of the clippers going into the year.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next: Portland

Oden > Kaman; Brand > Frye; Maggette > Webster; Roy > Mobley; Jack = Cassell (unless cassell is healthy most of the year)
Aldridge >> Williams; thomas > Lafrentz/Mcroberts; Outlaw > Singleton; Fernandez = Ross; Rodriguez > Hart?

Portland still might be a little too young, but they have a solid future, and again, i actually think portland will be better than the clippers as well next year.

Next: Minnesota. This is probably the second most sticky situation next to the Lakers. Who knows what will happen. Theyre improved by getting brewer. If everything stays as is, and garnett gets happy again i think they are about even with the clippers this year. If they trade garnett i think clippers are better than them. Its hard to analyze their lineup right now because of all the trade talk. As is now: even with the clippers after getting brewer.

Next: Seattle (supopsedly they want to resign lewis)
Wilcox = Kaman; Brand > Lewis; Durant > Maggette; Green = Mobley; Ridnour = Cassell
Petro > Williams; Collison = Thomas; Wally > Singleton; West = Ross; Watson > Hart

Heres a team that traded away a superstar yet, arguably improved their team. I say better than clippers barring injury.

Last: Memphis - Gasol >> Kaman; Brand >> Warrick; Miller > Maggette; Gay = Mobley (possibly the biggest non intentional pun ive ever made...wow, i usually dont make myself ROFL...) Conley Jr = Cassell
Swift > Williams; Thomas >> Cardinal; Kinsey > Singleton; Stodamire = Hart

Memphis is improved in that they get gasol hopefully for a whole year, and they lose atkins, but get conley Jr. They need help on the bench, but here is a team that if the clippers are better than them, its not by much.

In conclusion:

If things stand as pat right now, clippers might be one of the 3 worst teams in all of the west. This is why i liked sterling's way of running things better. Sure, we sucked back then but it didnt cost all this money (i cant believe were almost at the luxury tax, and look what we have to show for it), we always had young exciting talent, we always had cap room so we had hope of a big Free Agent, and we had cap room so that we could be the recipients of fire sales (remember the orlando trade that got us maggette, mas) But now, were capped out. Were old and unexciting (even our rookie is older than half of the league), we have no room for free agents, and we play boring basketball.

Im almost to the point of if were not going to trade brand and maggette this year, good riddance, lets lose brand, cassell, maggette for nothing next year, lets trade either mobley or thomas, and lets start over again, and build around kaman/Mayo! (to think we could have built around nick young)

·
Retired
17,913 Posts
No disrespect but I believe you are blowing things out of proportions. It is not like the Clippers today took Korolev2. They took a quality player. Whoever the Clippers took today wasn't going to take them too far in the short term, not at 14 anyway. Barring a trade I doubt anyone coming into today was going to get much burn anyway. I don't see how anyone in this draft at 14 was going to make a huge difference.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think youre posting in the wrong thread. This thread is about the team compared to the rest of the west so far. If you are posting in the right thread and disagree with one of my comparisons, let me know which comparison above you disagree with.

as far as your other comments which seem to be more suited for the clippers blew it thread, i dont see how you can get around the fact that young could have started for this team, and also fit long term, not to mention is from here, and has still a lot of upside with his age. Nor how you can deny the fact that barring trade it would be very difficult to see how thornton would fit into this lineup, how his upside is limited due to his age, how he couldnt even be a local favorite. No one is saying nick young would be the franchise's savior. However, he did fit the teams short and long term needs, and would have immediately improved the team. Thornnton from the games ive watched and tape seems like an older version of singleton. The kind of guy that dunleavvy doesnt seem to like at all.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Youre kidding right? Thats like a few years ago saying, why do you have lebron james as better than tayshaun prince....

Durant is probably the best freshman to have ever played college basketball, i think it would be safe to say that he will do more for his team than a guy who isnt even a starter much of the year. (not saying its all maggs fault, but with dunleavvy the coach here, i dont see him becoming a 22/game guy again)

·
Registered
67 Posts
yamaneko said:
Youre kidding right? Thats like a few years ago saying, why do you have lebron james as better than tayshaun prince....

Durant is probably the best freshman to have ever played college basketball, i think it would be safe to say that he will do more for his team than a guy who isnt even a starter much of the year. (not saying its all maggs fault, but with dunleavvy the coach here, i dont see him becoming a 22/game guy again)
Actually Maggette was at least as good team wise, and better than Bron stat wise when we played them head-to-head the first 2 seasons.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My comparison was lebrong james/tayshaun prince. Lebron james/maggette is arguably even more laughable though.

The issue was me putting durant as higher rated than maggette. Personally i think durant is going to do better than maggette this year stat wise. Do you disagree?

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
yamaneko said:
My comparison was lebrong james/tayshaun prince. Lebron james/maggette is arguably even more laughable though.

The issue was me putting durant as higher rated than maggette. Personally i think durant is going to do better than maggette this year stat wise. Do you disagree?
I don't get the point of arguing this, LeBron is better than Maggette every year. Even 15 year old Lebron is probably better than 20 year old Maggette.

Although I imagine pre-puberty LeBron would lose. Or maybe LeBron at 3 years old vs 8 year old Maggette? Maggs definitely could take him back then.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The point that I was trying to make is that no matter how good said player may be, it depends on matchups. It's easy to say this person is better than that person, but in the end it took Bron at least 2 years for his stats to reflect what we all knew from the beginning.

The main reason i don't overstand how every summer people get hyped about how great this team or that team is because they just drafted some rookie. Vets win championships unless your name is Magic or Wade...and even they had help.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
TakingitbyStorm said:
The point that I was trying to make is that no matter how good said player may be, it depends on matchups. It's easy to say this person is better than that person, but in the end it took Bron at least 2 years for his stats to reflect what we all knew from the beginning.
LeBron was really really good right off the bat, he averaged 21/5/6 in his rookie season... so what if he was capable of being better? If someone averaged those kind of #'s for a whole career, they'd be in the HOF for sure.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Blazer Freak said:
Not to nit pick, but Aldridge starts at PF for us, not Frye.
Aldridge and Oden in the front court. Wow! You guys are gonna lead the league in blocked shots and rebounds for the next 10 years.

·
Registered
67 Posts
leidout said:
LeBron was really really good right off the bat, he averaged 21/5/6 in his rookie season... so what if he was capable of being better? If someone averaged those kind of #'s for a whole career, they'd be in the HOF for sure.
You are so very true, but when we played him he didn't put up those numbers(first 2 seasons). This is why we play the game.

·
Registered
235 Posts
if you want mayo we would have to tank it big time...and we'd still probably come up short like memphis and boston. personaly i think the league punished them for tanking it...vada

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Who cares what lebron did against us in 2 games? I dont understand what point youre trying to make there. James singleton scored 25 points against dallas, but to dunleavvy that doesnt mean much. I remember the old days where elmore spencer went off for 25 points against a certain team, that didnt mean he was good. Youre good based on the numbers you put up consistently for the year.

I think mayo might end up being only number 3 or 4, which is why i think we have a shot at him. All depends on he does at USC.

·
Registered
67 Posts
yamaneko said:
Who cares what lebron did against us in 2 games? I dont understand what point youre trying to make there. James singleton scored 25 points against dallas, but to dunleavvy that doesnt mean much. I remember the old days where elmore spencer went off for 25 points against a certain team, that didnt mean he was good. Youre good based on the numbers you put up consistently for the year.

I think mayo might end up being only number 3 or 4, which is why i think we have a shot at him. All depends on he does at USC.
The point in a nutshell is that the basis of this thread talks about ROOKIES whom we don't know how they are going to play, and even a phenom like Lebron was not so phenomenal when he played against us...Maggs still holds his own scoring wise against Bron when healthy. It took 4 years for him to get to the point where he is now. And 4 titles have been won in that time and none by him. We are all just guessing what will become of these players so I understand that we can get a bit frustrated when things don't go our way. I don't think there was anyone(in the USA anyway) that was jumping up and down when we drafted Y2K. Is it so hard to be grateful we are not in the same place we were 3 years ago.

I not trying to incite any attacks of my craziness, but just imagine, just picture for one second, if during the...let's say 2 years that it takes for these great rookies to find their way, we were able to get one Conference title, maybe one finals appearance, or one Championship...then would it be worth it?

We are playing for now, and if you can't see that with moves that manegement is making, then you can't be looking. I never said they were the best moves...but can we not all agree that they are at least trying?

that's all

1 - 20 of 29 Posts