Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...as a context, I'm trying to relate this to the acquisition of Darius Miles.

So, can you come up with NBA players that were basically tabbed "project", or "hasn't reached his potential", "scrub", or such.....were traded to another team, then "blossomed" into legit or even stud players?

I'm just curious as to players that - in new surroundings - really came into their own.....

OK, forget about trotting out the obvious such as Jermaine. ;)

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bfan1</b>!
Was Shaq ever considered a "project"???
in the 3rd grade.

but it's not what you think. It was actually Tim Johnson who picked Shaq as his "project" in the science fair in the 3rd grade. The subject? "how much food does a 6'3" 3rd grader eat in an average month".

Turns out Shaq ate enough food for 3 people. But he had to, he was already dominating the prep-leagues in basketball. Averaging 56 points, and 53 rebounds a game, (on top of 21 blocks and 3 assists..and amazingingly, only 2 fouls a game).

Ok..so Shaq was 15 in the 3rd grade..big deal...

jk Shaq.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by <b>bfan1</b>!
Yao maybe?

sure aren't any really standing out! Hmmmm

It's all a lie!!!!! :eek:

Remember, I said traded, then propelled........

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

Remember, I said traded, then propelled........
Tracy McGrady.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hap</b>!

in the 3rd grade.

but it's not what you think. It was actually Tim Johnson who picked Shaq as his "project" in the science fair in the 3rd grade. The subject? "how much food does a 6'3" 3rd grader eat in an average month".

Turns out Shaq ate enough food for 3 people. But he had to, he was already dominating the prep-leagues in basketball. Averaging 56 points, and 53 rebounds a game, (on top of 21 blocks and 3 assists..and amazingingly, only 2 fouls a game).

Ok..so Shaq was 15 in the 3rd grade..big deal...

jk Shaq.

Hahaha... Now that's a funny post.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Hmm...there have been lots.

The first that comes to mind is Chauncey Billups. He bounced around a couple of teams (Boston, Denver...etc) before becoming a stud player in Detroit. Then there's others like Artest, after he got traded from Chicago. Ben Wallace after getting traded to Detroit became an all-star.

Too many to list...:dead:

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, then, that "potential" tag is all just a bunch of hooey?

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Ron Artest comes to mind.

The thing to keep in mind as well is that Darius would opnly be a College senior this year. I think maybe a better barometer is to look at what year most HS players really hit stride.

Guys like Al Harrington, Tracy McGrady, heck even Kobe Bryant all took a few years to adjust. I think the adjustment period is longer and it has to do with maturity.

I think aside from LeBron and Kevin, most HSers need 3-5 years in the league before they really start to make a significant difference for their teams.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Definitely Ben Wallace.

I don't think McGrady counts. He torched NY in the playoffs his last year in Toronto and was clearly the best player on that team, but the decision to leave was already pretty much made.

Ditto for Artest. People knew he was tough and could play (I went to the Chicago game at the Rose Garden, I think it was his last year there, and the Blazers simply could not slow him down), just hadn't really gotten consistent (or level-headed) yet.

Bo Outlaw and Bruce Bowen? Rick Fox and Robert Horry? Lots of examples of decent players that found the right home and became impact types.

Dan

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Jermaine O'Neal :laugh:

Only from the list of currently active players these jump out at me:

near failed "project" traded, then blossomed:
(note: I am taking liberties with the phrase “near failed project”. Some of the players were solid enough, but were considered disappointments to their potential, or simply blew up some time after being traded. The connection is most of the teams that let them go are now very sorry they did after they significantly improved on their new team.)

Aaron McKie, Portland/Detroit to Philly

Theo Ratliff, Detroit to Philly
Ben Wallace, Washington/Orlando to Detroit
Kurt Thomas, Miami/Dallas to New York
Michael Finley, Phoenix to Dallas
Steve Nash, Phoenix to Dallas
Chauncey Billups, Everywhere to Detroit
Eric Snow, Seattle to Detroit
Bobby Jackson, Denver/Minny to Sacramento

How about "Star" player traded, then declined:
Damon Stoudimire

How about "All-Star player traded, then never to be all-star again:
Steve Smith
Scottie Pippen
Dale Davis

:p

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Fork</b>!

Tracy McGrady.
I don't think he entirely qualifies. He did blow up after getting to Orlando. But that "secret" was so well know that at least 2 teams were offering him MAX deals - Chicago and Orlando.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!
Ron Artest comes to mind.
I don't think so.

Ron Artest had a great season his last year in Chicago. Chicago had just had enough of his antics and saw an opportunity to snag a "star" player who could (they hoped) take over the 4th quarters in scoring, and sell season tickets. So they shipped off big value (Artest and Brad Miller) in order to get that marquee player.

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by <b>Masbee</b>!
How about "Star" player traded, then declined:
How about "All-Star player traded, then never to be all-star again:
Shawn Kemp? Ouch.

BTW, thanks big-time for coming up with that list! You have restored my hopes that Darius still might amount to something.

One can still hope, here, right? ;)

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!

Shawn Kemp? Ouch.

BTW, thanks big-time for coming up with that list! You have restored my hopes that Darius still might amount to something.

One can still hope, here, right? ;)
I had erased that horrible, horrible memory from my brain cells. Thanks for the reminder. :upset:

I at least like a lot of the court production we got from Smith, Pippen and Davis, even though they were no longer "all-stars".

Now that he is gone can we erase Kemp from the Blazer collective conscious? Anybody got one of those MIB thingys?

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
I wouldn't have called McGrady or Wallace projects before they were traded, nor do I think anyone thought they were squelching their potential. McGrady, of course, wasn't traded. He was a free agent. Ben Wallace was traded but was a pretty good player in Orlando. I don't think he was considered a project.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts