Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What changes do you think will be made, if any?

There has to be some kind of game plan changes in the works.

Do the Nets still run the motion offense?

Does Collins continue to start?

Will Zoran get his chance to play?

Will the substitution patterens be a little more consistant now?

How much playing tim will Davis and Griffin get?

Will Kidd play less minutes?

Will Kenyon become the everyday go to guy on offense?

Will someone other then Kidd get to take the game winning shot?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
The Nets ditch the motion offense and go And1. Nick-names are stitched onto game uniforms. JayZ starts early in reshaping game productions for the Nets - hip-hop all game, every game. The Professor is brought aboard to back-up Kidd. :cool:

Seriously - I expect few changes, at least right away. Keep in mind, Frank was already heavily involved in the coaching decision process of the Nets and Thorn made clear one reason he promoted from within was to maintain continuity.

So, the game plan and rotation entering games probably will be similar to what we're used to.

I'm more interested in Frank's coaching during special-game situations (after time-outs, shot clock winding down, end of game, etc) and his ability to make in-game adjustments. I'd like to see how well he can control a game as a coach. That's a JVG strength, and Frank is supposed to be the 2nd coming of Van Gundy.

Of course, I hope to see changes like Veal playing more and better utilized, Armstrong and Planinic get some meaningful PT, and a more effective rotation that rests the starters. I just don't expect any dramatic changes so soon.

·
Premium Member
7,239 Posts
Does the offense stay?
Yes. Anytime you face a little adversity or go into a spell, you have to get back to the basics and the fundamentals. It’s not necessarily about the plays you run but how you’re running them. We have to improve our screening, we have to improve our set-ups on our cuts, improve our spacing…there’s a lot of things we have to get better at. We’re believers in the system. The system has been very good for us. Our players believe in it. We will continue to work with it and try to get better.

http://www.nba.com/nets/news/lawrence_frank_quotes0304.html

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Cause for hope

From the Coach Frank quote Aurelino posted:

It’s not necessarily about the plays you run but how you’re running them. We have to improve our screening, we have to improve our set-ups on our cuts, improve our spacing…there’s a lot of things we have to get better at.
Point for point of what Scalabrine currently does, and does well, as part of his utility role in the offense. Maybe an implied message Veal will be taking on a bigger role in the offense?

Also, Frank makes a point about accountability that can also be pointing at Rogers, who's notoriously inconsistent (or consistently bad with rare good games).

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
It’s not necessarily about the plays you run but how you’re running them. We have to improve our screening, we have to improve our set-ups on our cuts, improve our spacing…there’s a lot of things we have to get better at.
I made a comment after the Sacramento game about the difference between the way the Kings and Nets ran the offense. The Kings make sharp cuts, screen the defender and make crisp passes. The Nets go through the motions, screen the area, and make lazy passes. I can't see that changing dramatically, but if things get a little sharper, they should see a few more open looks.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
well, i dont think jason kidd will be a very happy camper. He said he doesnt want to play in brookland, and scott was a big part of him comming here.

Whats left now for him to stay. He might demand a trade. I bet houston would love to have him, and would give up francis and mobley.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!

I made a comment after the Sacramento game about the difference between the way the Kings and Nets ran the offense. The Kings make sharp cuts, screen the defender and make crisp passes. The Nets go through the motions, screen the area, and make lazy passes. I can't see that changing dramatically, but if things get a little sharper, they should see a few more open looks.
Good observation.

I think MightyReds2020 hit it when he described the Nets offense as looking more like a "severely completed triangle offense" than a motion offense. Compared to the Kings, what the Nets run is a shadow of a motion offense. Of course, the Kings use different kinds of players than the Nets do, and they can shoot. (I won't say more or else I'll write another post about triple-threat players and how Scalabrine should be playing the pivot.) The Nets have also been greatly affected by teams' defensive adjustments. Where the Kings use the motion offense to go outside and inside, the Nets use the motion offense mainly to go to the basket. Since other teams, with exceptions like the Celtics, have learned to defend against what the Nets try to do, players are less motivated to run the plays.

I don't know what changes Frank can or will implement, given that he's been coaching here while the Nets struggled. Answers will have to come from existing resources and personnel. I hope he's willing to shake things up and approach problems from a different direction.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Originally posted by <b>shazha</b>!
well, i dont think jason kidd will be a very happy camper. He said he doesnt want to play in brookland, and scott was a big part of him comming here.

Whats left now for him to stay. He might demand a trade. I bet houston would love to have him, and would give up francis and mobley.
Well, it looks like you know pretty much nothing about the situation. Kidd not a happy camper? He was the one that told Thorn to get rid of Scott. He said he didnt wanna play in Long Island, he said he didnt mind about Brooklyn, since his career will be close to done. Scott did NOT play a big part of him coming here, that was Rod Thorn.

Please dont post on a subject you obviously know nothing about.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jmk</b>!

Well, it looks like you know pretty much nothing about the situation. Kidd not a happy camper? He was the one that told Thorn to get rid of Scott. He said he didnt wanna play in Long Island, he said he didnt mind about Brooklyn, since his career will be close to done. Scott did NOT play a big part of him coming here, that was Rod Thorn.

Please dont post on a subject you obviously know nothing about.
Shiggity Shiggity Schwa

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Against the 76ers

I heard both Coleman and Iverson will be out. The 76ers aren't push-overs, even without them, but definitely a lot less dangerous.

Have a feeling that Frank wants to play Scalabrine and the most significant immediate change will be Veal returning to the rotation, and that he'll actually have scoring plays run for him (not necessarily as a pivot, though). No good argument for why Frank would demote Rogers, but if Frank is serious about rewarding players who play the right way, Veal would be at the top of his list.

Griffin and Davis will get a few minutes, around 5, just to get their feet wet. If they get hot, they might play more, but I doubt either will be used to shake up the rotation just. Maybe next game, with more practice, especially for Davis. I'n not sure how Frank plans to use the 2 older SGs and Planinic. Maybe we'll be surprised and Armstrong is kept active while the rookie is stashed on the IL.

Otherwise, I don't predict any big changes from what we're used to, beyond what Frank introduces to the coaching influence during the game.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Anyone have any info on what kind of players Frank likes and/or wants to acquire. Perhaps a player or two Frank wants to trade for now that he is head coach?

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jmk</b>!
Anyone have any info on what kind of players Frank likes and/or wants to acquire. Perhaps a player or two Frank wants to trade for now that he is head coach?
Juan Dixon and Steve Blake? :cool:

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NYCbballFan</b>!

Juan Dixon and Steve Blake? :cool:
:yes: You caught onto my drift. If Lawrence Frank got those 2 up here, he would easily become my favorite coach of all time.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
I heard he's interested in Lonny Baxter and Chris Wilcox too, and has sent Thorn out to try to find Exree Hip and Keith Booth. ;)

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!
I heard he's interested in Lonny Baxter and Chris Wilcox too, and has sent Thorn out to try to find Exree Hip and Keith Booth. ;)
DONT MOCK ME!!!

Gimme a bench of...

C- Lonny Baxter
PF- Chris Wilcox
SF- Walt Williams
SG- Juan Dixon
PG- Steve Blake

...and Ill be the happiest guy in Jersey.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Who's to say Frank won't insert Griffin into the rotation to get big minutes off the bench. I would think that Frank is the one who put in the most time with him in these practices, so he must have a good idea of how well he will contribute. Same goes with the rest of the guys. This coaching move masy open the door for Zoran, Veal and Eddie to really contribute.

I sure as hell hope so.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DeezNets</b>!
Who's to say Frank won't insert Griffin into the rotation to get big minutes off the bench. I would think that Frank is the one who put in the most time with him in these practices, so he must have a good idea of how well he will contribute. Same goes with the rest of the guys. This coaching move masy open the door for Zoran, Veal and Eddie to really contribute.

I sure as hell hope so.
I would hope so too. I'm pretty anxious to see the minutes distribution tomorrow night. I'm mainly concerned about the Veal/Rogers issue and the 3-guard rotation, but the additions of Davis and Griffin add a couple of more interesting wrinkles.

I can't imagine Griff getting more than 10 minutes tomorrow, but we'll see how he works him in in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I don't mean Griffin will play big minutes tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if after 4 or 5 games, he's a main fixture in the rotation. That was one of the things that pissed me off about Byron. He took way too long into working guys into the rotation.

I hope tomorrow is somewhat competitive so I can see how Frank will play our guys, minutes wise. I don't think Kidd will play 40 minute games night in and night out anymore.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>DeezNets</b>!
Well, I don't mean Griffin will play big minutes tomorrow, but I wouldn't be surprised if after 4 or 5 games, he's a main fixture in the rotation. That was one of the things that pissed me off about Byron. He took way too long into working guys into the rotation.

I hope tomorrow is somewhat competitive so I can see how Frank will play our guys, minutes wise. I don't think Kidd will play 40 minute games night in and night out anymore.
That's reasonable. I think people expecting Griffin to flash right away as a 25 MPG 6th Man are being over-anxious. Griffin has talent - we all know that already. But so does Rodney Rogers, who proves talent alone doesn't make a player the 'savior'. The over-all mental game, working off the rust, and comfort in the system will likely take more time, both for us to find out about him and for him to adjust. Even established players joining simpler systems take time to adjust. Some never quite get there (eg, Payton on the Bucks last season). 4 or 5 games is a reasonable adjustment period, but I wouldn't be surprised if it took a month or more. Until then, it's up to Frank to decide how much Griffin should play.

With Kidd, the problem is the team isn't carrying a 2nd legit PG if you don't think the rookie is ready yet, which I don't. Neither Davis nor Harris should be playing PG, but they have to with this roster. It remains to be seen whether Frank will force 13-15 MPG at PG from them despite their poor fit at the position.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Some good stuff about Frank in this article:

Nets flog Philly in Frank's debut

He met each player individually on Monday night, after the team arrived by bus, and then watched some tape of the 76ers. He awoke at 4:45 a.m. and watched some more tape. He stayed late after a 10 a.m. shootaround to work with new additions Hubert Davis and Eddie Griffin as well as some of the younger players.

After more player interviews and a short lunch at the hotel, Frank returned to the Wachovia Center at 4 p.m. to start writing plays on the “Just my nature,” Frank said. “I like to get here early, have the board set up. I want our players coming in thinking about the game. I don’t want them looking at a blank board.”

1 - 20 of 21 Posts