Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

OK, So, You're The New GM...

541 views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  dwood615 
#1 ·
I'd be curious to know your approach to this summer and (re)building the team for next season.

If the rumors are true, that Miles and Theo will be gone before the draft, then that bodes well for yours truly.

I'd still stay with our 1st Rounder this summer - focusing on a 2-3 with a dead-eye shot. I'm becoming more and more sold on the idea that Morrison would be a nice fit for our team.

If Miles and Theo brings a banging, tough-nosed, rebounding-type of PF/C, then I'm all for that, as well.

Keep the 3 PGs - at least for this upcoming season.

The big lingering question would be, who will start at 3? If Morrison were to be drafted, I still don't think he could immediately step into that role. I'm still not so sure that, either, Outlaw or Viktor are "starter quality" guys. (I hate to say it, but I'd give serious thought to trading one of the two.) It's a dilemma, though. I suppose if the Blazers traded for a starting 3, then it would be kinda senseless to draft Morrison. I dunno.

Webster needs to start @ 2 next season. That being said, I think Dixon needs to be traded. I'm not even opposed to backing up Martell with Lenard, then drafting a 2 with the Detroit pick. Or, package the Detroit pick and our 2nd Rounder to, perhaps, move up a few more slots in the 1st Round.

Of course, all of this is dependent on being able to re-sign Joel. If that doesn't materialize, then we need to draft big, big, big. That is, unless we can get a big in exchange for Miles and Theo.

Zach will be fine. He just needs a strong mentor. If he were playing with, well, a Duncan type? Sky would be the limit. He needs a mature, strong-minded vet to get in his face and drive him a bit more. He certainly doesn't have that here currently.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd keep Viktor because he does so much stuff and can play PF if need be. I just like him to much to trade him and he can start he did many times this year.

I'm not so sure Theo will be gone next year.

Bye to Miles. Keep Zach.

I would like us to take Morrison but I think we'll take Alridge if we get the #1 pick unless we trade down a couple spots.

#3 ·
gone by either trades or walking for sure: miles, joel
could be gone by trades: dixon, zbo theo,blake, skinner
could be walking: Vashon

before the draft: asap
I would package miles dixon or blake for expiring in a year or 2 sg
theo and dixon/blake for a center or pf/c

test the waters for zbo and sign & trade joel right before the draft and during

draft day:
explore deals for blazers not trade but wanted to be traded incliuding our two late picks and cash to get it done

Pick morrison, tyrus or bargnani depending on who we got in the trades before the draft

if we still have the later picks then we try to trade them for a higher pick with cash to a team with multi picks or few picks in the draft.

then make any deals that didnt happen before draft day and before.

last but not least make the NEW owner pick a new design for uniform :D

new age retro:

design #1:

design #2:

my favorite and took me the longest true retro cicra 1805!

#4 ·
There is already a thread close to this. Here was my response

Trade Miles and Theo to NY for Rose and #21.

Trade Zach, Skinner, Dixon and #21 along with next years pick to Indiana for Jermaine Oneal

Trade Blake and Outlaw to NOK for #16ish

That gives Portland picks 1, 16, 30 ish

Draft

1. Morrison/Noah if he comes out

2. O'Bryant/Williams/Brewer depending on who goes number 1

3. Pittsnogle/Boone

Those would be my picks. I realize they might not all be available when we select.

That gives us potentialy

Oneal/O'Bryant/Ha
Khryapa/Pittsnogle
Morrison/Rose/Khryapa
Webster/Rose
Telfair/Jack

Or something like

Oneal/Boone
Noah/Khryapa/Boone
Rose/Khryapa/Brewer
Webster/Rose
Telfair/Jack

Whatever. Anyway I think both those teams are extremely more competetive than the team this year. Much better defensively, and much better in terms of players with good "motors"

#5 · (Edited)
I've been thinking and have come up with the following ideas/conclusions.

At Point Guard: Rumors say that three young PG's is too many and one will be moved. I've decided that Jack is to be the PG traded this offseason. Telfair remains as starter. Blake is the ultimate back/up PG, low $, high IQ, simple solid player. Dixon (under contract for 2 more) can play the third PG in a pinch. Jack has more trade value than Blake. We pick up veteran PG on downside of career to ride the pine waiting for injuries.

At Shooting Guard: Webster is really playing with more confidence of late, good shooting stroke, and getting better at putting the ball on the floor and driving to the basket. Dixon is also playing with alot of confidence and other tangibles. His only weakness is his height. Webster to start, Dixon the back/up. Might need an insurance player here as well.

At Small Forward: The position which doesn't yet have an owner!! Miles has failed to secure. Outlaw has failed to secure. Khryapa has shown great skill at all facets of the game. If he adds a consistent shot from outside - he'll be a great back/up or occasional starter quality 3. I think drafting Morrison for this spot is our best fit/need. Morrison is a Jim Paxson type scorer. Off picks, screens, rolls, half-way penetrations, etc. Anywhere from 20ft and in. Morrison and Webster on the court at the same time - would really stretch the defense.

At Power Forward: Zach is there. He needs another year to determine whether he can adapt enough to fit this team. So far, he's too interested in scoring and not interested in defense and rebounding, blocking out or passing. I am not convinced he is the future of this team. But, its too early to give up. Skinner is a nice back/up forward/center (if he isn't starting at center-by default). He does all things well. Khyapa can play spot minutes at back/up at this position, but is limited in effectiveness at this position.

At Center: Joel will explore other locations and will be tempted by bigger dollars being thrown his way. I don't think he'll be back unless Miles and Theo are traded. I hope they can be. Jalen Rose would be a nice contract in return for summer of '07. Ha is still a learning back/up or project. Who would play center for us if Joel left via free agency?? Who knows.

Zach, Miles, Theo, Outlaw, Jack - ALL TRADE BAIT. What assets could we get to improve our front line for these players?

#7 ·
I really liked the game last night. It was a shame that we lost. But there is something of a trend that I've noticed the last couple games. We have some decent outside shooters. I would like to get even better here. You have your strong inside presence and then surround them with quality and capable outside shooters. Webster is a goldmine just getting ready to blow up. Voshon was a good addition for a veteran. Blake and Telfair can decently hit the outside shot if they need to.

I liked the offence when seemed to move and flow better. There was more picking for players, but even then they seemed a little off with it. Having not played the same style all season I'm sure it was a bit of an adjustment. In this running and gunning style you score swiftly, on fast breaks, often from outside.

So what would I do as a GM?

First thing I would do is explore my options for picking up either Garnett or O'Neal. They would be my initial prioreties before the draft. I would dangle any combination of Randolph, Miles, Blake, Dixon, Ha, Outlaw, Khryapa, Skinner that worked and that that Minn or Indiana would agree too. Randolph is from near Indi and it's always like a home coming when we play there. I bet he would like it. So why not swap PF's? Both have had a bit of issue with health. Both are still solid players.

With Miles, I would trade him for Vets. experianced players who have been in the league a while, were never superstars who excell at what they do. This is a Robert Horry type player. Maybe not that old though. :)

For the draft I would pick up Morrison, I'm going to just assume that we get the #1 pick and have our absolute first choice. From what I've seen Morrison is a grade AA shooter/scorer. I like the idea of teaming him with Webster, Telfair, and a solid inside power forward, and a defensive Center. It creates a nice balance to the game, inside scoring, outside scoring, speedy penetration and defense at the basket.

I would try and resign Joel, but if he cannot be wooed back seeing the moves that we are making then I would let him go. I would probably include Joel in the talks of what the team was doing this summer. Let him give his input on the players that we were looking at. In doing so, not to say he was making the decision, but to show him just how serious we were at changing the attitude of the team and put together a solid squad. That might just be the piece that would get him to resign with us despite the way this season has shaken down.

Come Mid July, I wouldn't be waiting till the end of the summer to make trades and higher free agents, I would have my team roster set. I would put our youth who are elegible together in as many summer leagues as we can get away with. Get them together, with the Portland playbook and get them playing together. Telfair, Jack, Webster, Morrison, Victor. That is nearly a full starting lineup. Tell them to run and gun. I want to see an offense that pushes the ball, traps, passes, cuts and screens. This unit should be able to score. In summer league, webster, Telfair, and Morrison should average mid teens to mid twenties in points per game. I want to see the flash return to Telfair and strong stability from Jack. Play up their strengths.

So for next season we have this:
Introducing your new Portland Trailblazers Starting Lineup.

G: Telfair
SG: Webster
SF: Morrison
PF: Garnett
C: Pryz

Bench:
G: Jack
SG: Solid Vet #1 (defensive), Lenard
SF: Kryhapa, Solid Vet #2
PF: Skinner
C: Theo, Ha

These are the key players, anyone else is just filler. I really think if we pushed for Garnett that that alone would be enough incentive for Pryz to resign with us. Moving Zach and Miles will show the attitude that we want to have. Now I like Zach, I think he could still fit with our team. Miles...he just flat has to go.

#8 ·
Man, I just cringe at the thought of having to trade Bassy, Jack, Martell, Travis, or Viktor. Bassy and Jack are both going to be stud PGs in this league for years to come (which is why one of 'em is eventually going to have to be moved). Martell will rise. Travis is the "Elevation Sensation" and his confidence is growing daily. And Viktor is my boy. I'd exhaust all options for moving Blake, Dixon, Smith, Lenard, Miles, Zach, Skinner, Theo and/or Seung-Jin before starting to think about moving any of those 5.

As for specific plans... dunno. Seems like between Blake, Dixon, Miles, Zach, Skinner, and Seung-Jin we should be able to pick up some decent players for this team that Nate would be happy with.

PBF

#9 ·
Talkhard said:
Must Stay:
Telfair
Jack
Outlaw
Khyrpa
Webster
Przybilla

Must Go:
Miles

On the Bubble
Randolph
Ratliff
Ha
Dixon
Blake
Lenard
Skinner
I agree with you on this almost 100% Talkhard, except I'm a little more inclined to trading your "bubble" guys than keeping them. Also, I would probably put Przybilla on the "bubble" list, given his injury problems this season (unless some of those injuries were of the "phantom" variety, which could very well be the case). If the injuries were real, I wouldn't break the bank to keep him.

PBF

#10 ·
I think it's a huge mistake to get rid of Jack. I'd keep Blake and Jack move Telfair back east. You don't trade a big strong PG like Jack for an undersized defensive liabilty like Telfair. Have we learned nothing from the Damon years? Sure Telfair can pass like crazy and he's super quick but so was Damon and he had a better shot. The problem is when the games on the line taller PG's will post Telfair up and abuse him and get the foul. With Jack they'll look to pass. I'd keep Blake cause he'll work so damn hard just to be in the league that effort will never be in question. I'd say the same for Jack. You see how both Jack and Blake are always looking to Nate to learn? That's a good sign!

As for Darius, ZBO, Theo, Dixon and Joel I think move them and don't look back. Low IQ or injury prone does not make for a good team.

Keep Outlaw, Webster, Jack, Blake, Skinner then hit the free agent market and the draft.

#11 ·
YardApe said:
I think it's a huge mistake to get rid of Jack. I'd keep Blake and Jack move Telfair back east. You don't trade a big strong PG like Jack for an undersized defensive liabilty like Telfair. Have we learned nothing from the Damon years? Sure Telfair can pass like crazy and he's super quick but so was Damon and he had a better shot. The problem is when the games on the line taller PG's will post Telfair up and abuse him and get the foul. With Jack they'll look to pass. I'd keep Blake cause he'll work so damn hard just to be in the league that effort will never be in question. I'd say the same for Jack. You see how both Jack and Blake are always looking to Nate to learn? That's a good sign!

As for Darius, ZBO, Theo, Dixon and Joel I think move them and don't look back. Low IQ or injury prone does not make for a good team.

Keep Outlaw, Webster, Jack, Blake, Skinner then hit the free agent market and the draft.

The same argument could made as to why to keep Blake, an average NBA player over his career over a young player that has shown glimpses of being very good. Telfair by the way is not the defensive liability people accuse him of. He won't make the all defensive team anytime soon, but he works hard to stay in front of his man.

#12 ·
Isn't it ironic that where once we were kvetching about our lack of decent point-guards, we are now kvetching about having to give any of 'em up?

Jack is my favorite of the three, too. He may or may not have Bassy's potential, but he's big, physical, fiesty, and gutsy. Could very easily step into the emotional leadership role on this (or any other) team. Oh, and he's been playing injured all season. Imagine what he could do for us at 100% all season long. Best rookie PG performance we've had in a long, long time, and bound to get better.

PBF

#13 ·
My dream Scenario,

Trade Zbo + Theo to Minnesota for K. Garnett + filler. We would probably have to at least swap picks in this years draft with them to get this done if not give up our pick altogether.

Retain Pryz so he can start at Center and Garnett PF. That's easily top 3 Best front line in the NBA especially on the defensive end.

Trade Miles + Detroit pick (or Minny pick if we can manage a swap) for a top 10-15 pick if possible. Draft, Boone, McRoberts, Reddick (A big man or shooter).

#16 ·
-if i was to pull off the oneal trade i would want miles to be included and possibly zach if we could
-so say we get oneal pryz probably wouldnt want to resign unless we traded zach so oneal could play the pf position
-so trade zach and miles for oneal and whatever fits salary wise
-DO NOT TRADE OUR 2006 PICK!!!!
-so if we do get oneal and zach leaves then pryz WILL resign cuz we automatically become a better team in my eyes
-draft morrison(who im actually just now warming up to)
-draft hassan adams(good guard/forward who will provide energy to this team)
-draft justin williams(under the tutelage of theo imagine the possibilities)
-try to trade blake,outlaw and dixon for a vet
-resign voshon
-get a new GM
-maybe sign a D-League pg(possibly aaron miles who would be an automatic fan favorite)

lineup would be as:
pg-telfair,jack,(miles???)
sg-webster,voshon,adams
sf-morrison,krhyapa,adams
pf-oneal,skinner,williams
c-pryz,theo,ha

now i think i play gm mode in nba 2k6 too much...but hey i think this would work out swell

#17 ·
dwood615 said:
-if i was to pull off the oneal trade i would want miles to be included and possibly zach if we could
-so say we get oneal pryz probably wouldnt want to resign unless we traded zach so oneal could play the pf position
-so trade zach and miles for oneal and whatever fits salary wise
-DO NOT TRADE OUR 2006 PICK!!!!
-so if we do get oneal and zach leaves then pryz WILL resign cuz we automatically become a better team in my eyes
-draft morrison(who im actually just now warming up to)
-draft hassan adams(good guard/forward who will provide energy to this team)
-draft justin williams(under the tutelage of theo imagine the possibilities)
-try to trade blake,outlaw and dixon for a vet
-resign voshon
-get a new GM
-maybe sign a D-League pg(possibly aaron miles who would be an automatic fan favorite)

lineup would be as:
pg-telfair,jack,(miles???)
sg-webster,voshon,adams
sf-morrison,krhyapa,adams
pf-oneal,skinner,williams
c-pryz,theo,ha

now i think i play gm mode in nba 2k6 too much...but hey i think this would work out swell

I like your picks, good job.

#20 ·
Justinmoney85 said:
I like your picks, good job.

we would get morrison who i thin could step in right away
justin williams who is a gritty hustler
hassan who is an athletic freak and is easily better than outlaw

we would have 3 good rookies i think

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.