Votes: 23 51.1%
  • Emeka

Votes: 22 48.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I take Okafor. Maybe it's the lack of a gambling bone in my body that makes this decision for me, but I know Okafor will grab a lot of rebounds, block a lot of shots and is showing definite improvement in the offensive area. All I have outta Dwight is what he could become. I take low risk, guarenteed reward over high risk, unknown reward.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
If I could know for a fact that Okafor was going to be more or less healthy for 8 years, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I like Howard's athletic ability, but that doesn't trumph what Okafor can do in the post. I'll take Okafor even with the injury risk.

·
Steal of the Draft
8,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. This is a pretty hard decision for me. I think Howard could be a KG. In the summer leagues Howard really showed me that he can play good D. I'm going to have to take Howard. I really like Okafor, but I can't pass up on Dwight's potential..

BFreak.

·
Registered
12 Posts
From what I've seen so far, I would pick Emeka. I mean, forget bout the back thing, homeboy can play. Also, gotta be a little bias and pick my fellow Nigerian. ;)

·
Banned
4,016 Posts
i think okafor might have better stats caues hes on an expansion team, but in the future howard will put up bigger numbers

howard could trun into someting like kg while okafor looks to be a ben wallace
:whoknows:

my vote howard

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I'd pick Okafor. I think he has a very strong chance to surpass Wallace since he has all the strength and athleticism but was also the number 1 option on a National Championship team that included Ben Gordon. I don't think Howard has much more potential than Okafor and I favor a guy with a true post game over a guy who thinks the center position is for "old guys". Nothing wrong with versatility, I just want an inside presence with my franchise big man.

Something I haven't seen from Howard: the killer instinct. Okafor willed UConn to victory in the final 4, whereas Howard could not put Morris and Telfair away. May be insignificant for the pros, but based on what we know I'd choose Okafor.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I think Howard will have the productions that Stoudamire did. The expectations are low just like Stoudamire's. Howard will have the opportunity, minutes, and resources to be productive. Okafor will be good but just like Battier who is a consistent role player.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
I think Howard will be a huge bust in this league, and I say this only watching him twice.

If you look at all the high schoolers who excelled in the NBA they had the personality to it. Kobe at age 17 asked a superstar to the prom and had a chip on his shoulder from day 1. Garnett had all the charisma and charm in the world. LeBron was a celebrity since he was 16... etc.

I can imagine the reaction when Howard is shooting around before practice, fresh off watching finding Nemo and reading the bible and hears his teamates talking about some chickenheads they took to the hotel room last night. Or when he goes up to some 33 year old teamate trying to preach jesus, or some elite trash talker like Antonie Walker or Gary Payton verbally abuses him on the court. Or when the media begans mocking his "my car goes fast" type comments.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Jamel Irief</b>!
I think Howard will be a huge bust in this league, and I say this only watching him twice.

If you look at all the high schoolers who excelled in the NBA they had the personality to it. Kobe at age 17 asked a superstar to the prom and had a chip on his shoulder from day 1. Garnett had all the charisma and charm in the world. LeBron was a celebrity since he was 16... etc.

I can imagine the reaction when Howard is shooting around before practice, fresh off watching finding Nemo and reading the bible and hears his teamates talking about some chickenheads they took to the hotel room last night. Or when he goes up to some 33 year old teamate trying to preach jesus, or some elite trash talker like Antonie Walker or Gary Payton verbally abuses him on the court. Or when the media begans mocking his "my car goes fast" type comments.
So you are basing that off of 2 "summer league" games you saw and his religious preference

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!

So you are basing that off of 2 "summer league" games you saw and his religious preference
No, I'm basing this on his religious preference and naive view of adult life.

Not basing this on his games at all. And I never saw him in summer league. I saw him twice in high school.

·
&#9734;&#9734;&#9734;
1,596 Posts
I haven't been as impressed as most with Okafor, but definately like the look of Howard - he'll be special.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
I gotta agree with Jamel on this one. Its a combination of his naive perspective and his performance in the high school games I saw. He basically got outplayed by his own AAU teammate Randolph Morris(who I think will be an elite big man in the NBA soon enough), and Morris team also won the game. I just wasnt all that impressed with Howards skills, and him being naive makes him more likely to get discouraged if/when he doesnt succeed right away in the NBA.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Its still hard for me to grasp that he will be a bust because of 2 high school games you saw and his religious prefrerence. That right there is wrong IMO. Not trying to turn this into a religious debate but would him being another religion give him a better view in your eyes. I think its premature and somewhat silly for him to think that he change players in the NBA but at the same time I think him having these strong values will help him succeed on top of the fact that he basically did well on the defensive end of the ball in the summer league

·
just foul
6,913 Posts
That's a close call.

I watched Howard in person here in the Vegas summer leagues and was very impressed. He more than held his own, and often times was the most imposing presence on the floor. A history of back problems also turns me off of Emeka.

Okafor is very solid, but I go with Howard here.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I take Howard.

I expect Howard and Okafor to both struggle offensively out of the gate. I think Howard has the ability to be just as good next season rebounding and blocking shots, maybe even better. In the summer leagues, he struggled scoring at times, but the thing he did every single game was rebound and block shots well. Most of his offense in his first year will be like Amare's first year, he'll be living off fastbreaks, dunks, and putbacks.

So imo, Howard and Okafor both have very good rebounding and shotblocking ability but neither is that great offensively right now, but Dwight's offensive potential is far greater than Emeka's.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts