Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions from an uneducated fan who has seen only seen the record and the quality wins, but has not actually seen them on the tube.

1. Why are they so good? Who are the star players, or is it very much a well balanced team.

2. Did anyone expect this at the beginning of the year.

3. Do you expect them to remain on top?

With Oklahoma St. and Texas stepping it up, perhaps the Big 12 does have those "elite" teams that we were saying they did not have a mere week ago.

·
Registered
10,839 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JuniorNoboa</b>!
A few questions from an uneducated fan who has seen only seen the record and the quality wins, but has not actually seen them on the tube.

1. Why are they so good? Who are the star players, or is it very much a well balanced team.

2. Did anyone expect this at the beginning of the year.

3. Do you expect them to remain on top?

With Oklahoma St. and Texas stepping it up, perhaps the Big 12 does have those "elite" teams that we were saying they did not have a mere week ago.
1. They aren't, they all suck
2. Its a fluke
3. Nope. Texas is going to go take one at their house :D

(i was kidding about all but the 3rd)

·
Registered
668 Posts
John Lucas is good. i don't know who else does stuff for them. I've only seen them one time against Tech, Lucas put on a show.

·
Registered
668 Posts
In hindsight, if Baylor didn't have their "problems", they would have had Lawrence Roberts and Lucas this year. that could have been pretty good.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well first of all lets dismiss any unfortunate untruths about OSU bball.

Often fans outside the conference and some misinformed fans in the conference assume that OSU has inferior talent. If you just want to count MCD All Americans then that is true. But let it be known that OSU has atheletes and players just as good as the teams in bigger media markets. They just don't get as much hype.

As far as coaching goes. I doubt there is a better staff in the Big12.

As far as local fan support goes OSU is right on par with KU, MU and ISU.

OSU is year in and year out a top team in this conference. So if you think they are some kind of surprise this year, then you are not really paying attention.

As far as this year goes we have definately one of our best teams in the last ten years. Maybe the best. There is a lot of bball yet to play.

But for a team to go from around 4th best in the league to top 2 in the league is just a matter of getting over the hump and some of the "top" teams being down this year.

If you want to get specific about this team, then I will give the one obvious answer. John Lucas. He has made a world of difference.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know it's Vitale, but he was at the game last night and here ya go. Perfect article for your question.

I can't post the link because the board I got it from is broken. I'm sure you can go to ESPN and find it.

Some more great cowboy pub...

Cowboys, Bulldogs: Top 10 clubs fly under radar
Dick Vitale
SPECIAL TO ESPN.COM

Feb. 10, 2004
Two teams really flying under the radar nationally are Oklahoma State and Mississippi State. Yes, they're ranked in the top 10 -- but honestly, how many people are talking about these two schools as Final Four contenders? You hear about Duke, Stanford and Connecticut as powers, you hear about St. Joseph's as an unbeaten ... but not about Oklahoma State and Mississippi State.

Point guard John Lucas and Oklahoma State have forced opponents to call plenty of timeouts this season.
Remember this: Mississippi State is one basket away from being unbeaten, having lost a heartbreaker in the final second on a tip-in against Kentucky. That loss is the difference between recognition as an unbeaten and flying under the radar, baby!

I think one reason these two programs are not receiving as much publicity is location, location, location. There aren't as many media members in Starkville, Miss. or Stillwater, Okla. But let me tell you, having gone to both places this season, the enthusiasm and fan support there is special.

Oklahoma State's Gallagher-Iba Arena is a lot like Duke's Cameron Indoor Stadium, with loud, enthusiastic fans who show a love and passion for their team. They're intelligent, knowledgeable fans with a lot to cheer for these days.

One other thing these two schools have in common -- key transfers from Baylor.

Mississippi State (No. 6 ESPN/USA Today) added big man Lawrence Roberts, who has been as valuable as any player in the SEC this season. He can rebound and score, and his presence has made a big difference when you consider that coach Rick Stansbury's Bulldogs lost Mario Austin early to the NBA draft. Plus, recruit Travis Outlaw went to the NBA right out of high school, never stepping foot on the Starkville campus.

Oklahoma State (No.10 ESPN/USA Today) added point guard John Lucas from Baylor. He has made an impact as the Cowboys' floor general.

Transfers are nothing new for Oklahoma State coach Eddie Sutton -- he had three in his starting lineup in Monday's big 80-60 win over Kansas (I was there to broadcast the game for ESPN). That's right, Mr. Lucas, Daniel Bobik from BYU and Joey Graham from Central Florida. That's a formula that has worked over the years for Sutton, with transfers like Brooks Thompson, Doug Gottlieb, Victor Williams and many others who've made an impact.

Imagine where Baylor would be right now if Roberts, Lucas and Kenny Taylor (now at Texas) didn't transfer! Wow!

Lucas, a junior, has been dazzling lately. He controls the half-court game and also puts pressure on the ball defensively. Sutton admits his transfer guard is better than he expected.

I was also impressed with the way Lucas has improved his range as a shooter. He's a weapon on the perimeter, and that just adds to his quickness and penetration ability because you can't defend him one way. He is now an all-around threat, and he was in a zone on Monday night (21 points).

I love the work ethic displayed by senior guard Tony Allen. I was at the gym Sunday night, and there was Allen, working on his shot all by himself. Let me tell you, that effort pays off. Mr. Allen can flat-out shoot the rock.

The Cowboys also are exceptional defenders in the half-court game, a must come NCAA tourney time. Oklahoma State is so efficient in its half-court game. The Cowboys are always looking for a high-percentage shot, making the extra pass to get the best scoring opportunity. That's why they lead the nation in field-goal percentage. The Cowboys also are exceptional defenders in the half-court game, a must come NCAA tourney time.

I was surprised to see Kansas lacking the kind of passion and energy you usually see from the Jayhawks. There is such pride in wearing the Kansas uniform. They're talented enough to compete and not get embarrassed. But I think coach Bill Self's team will bounce back.

Oklahoma State isn't talked about much compared to other Big 12 schools like Kansas, Texas, Oklahoma and Missouri. Now that the Cowboys are in first place in the conference, that may change.

Oklahoma State and Mississippi State may not get the recognition, but watch out come March. These schools could be dangerous contenders for a trip to the Final Four in San Antonio.

·
Registered
126 Posts
One more post. I just noticed that you are a Syracuse fan. If you remember last year we had your Orangemen down by 16 in the tourney and gave you guys a serious game until Carmello just went crazy on us. Our best defender Melvin Sanders who did a phenomenal job on 'melo fouled out and he went crazy.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Originally posted by <b>MavsPoke</b>!

OSU is year in and year out a top team in this conference. So if you think they are some kind of surprise this year, then you are not really paying attention.
Umm. OK. I think many people here could vouch for my paying attention to college basketball.

Oklahoma St. is a tournament team year in and year out . I am aware of that. I am not surprised that they are a good team. I am surprised that they are SO GOOD, top 5 caliber.

But anyway, beyond that comment, thanks for the analysis and thanks for the article.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by <b>MavsPoke</b>!
One more post. I just noticed that you are a Syracuse fan. If you remember last year we had your Orangemen down by 16 in the tourney and gave you guys a serious game until Carmello just went crazy on us. Our best defender Melvin Sanders who did a phenomenal job on 'melo fouled out and he went crazy.
I certainly remember that game. I think you had us by 17 actually, something like 27-10, but then your offence just sputtered in part to Jeremy Mcneil's dominance in blocking shots.

But the SU comeback was complete well before Sanders fouled out. By the end of the first half SU had already regained the lead - I think Sanders did have foul problems in the first quarter, which allowed Melo to break out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Oh didn't mean to call you out, just kinda venting a bit. Sorry about that.

As for the Syracuse/OSU game, I seem to have holes in my memory. Last thing I remember we were up by 16 and then all hell broke loose.

That matchup zone was too much. We didn't know how to deal with it. Hadn't seen anything like that in I don't know when.

Last year's OSU team offensively was not very good. They had offensive lapse that spanned 5-8 minutes with no buckets. Hard to go far in the tourney against elite team no matter how good you D is.

·
Registered
7,590 Posts
What has OSU done in the tournament recently?

1 win the last 3 years? Something like that?

They've been 4th-best in the conference lately....

But anyway, back to the thread: I've seen them numerous times in person this season and I've always thought they were good...but not top 10! These wins (KU and Texas) have really surprised me... (though I guess they shouldn't, seeing as how they gave my team a new 'you-know-what')

Their only decent inside player is Ivan McFarlin, and even he is only 6'7.5 or 6'8...other than that they've got tremendous talent. Tony Allen is money inside of 15 feet...Bobik can knock shots down from anywhere on the court...Joey Graham is a stud athlete, an NBA prospect IMO...and of course John Lucas, possibly the best PG in the conference...They're not tremendously deep but they're deep enough...Terence Crawford (6'6), Janavor Weatherspoon (6'1, but probably the best athlete on the team), Jason Miller all get quite a bit of playing time...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts