Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
No way. He's not in Pierce's league in terms of size or offensive fluidity. He's much more like a Russell Westbrook (defense)/Dwayne Wade (offense) hybrid at full potential.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
No way. He's not in Pierce's league in terms of size or offensive fluidity. He's much more like a Russell Westbrook (defense)/Dwayne Wade (offense) hybrid at full potential.
I'd say that's a bit..........generous........at best. Maybe I'm a crazy person, but I'm seeing Tony Allen with better offense.

·
Celtics Fan
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wade is a decent comparison but I'd say he has more potential shooting wise and he is not as athletic or quick as Wade.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
latrell sprewell

·
Registered
35,113 Posts
Perennial All-Star in the making. The kid is a hybrid of Wade/LeBron, strong, fast, technically sound. He will be the best player from this past draft.

I don't think he will be on LeBron's level, but I do think he could hit 20/5/5 somewhere down the line.

I'm excited.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
I'd say that's a bit..........generous........at best. Maybe I'm a crazy person, but I'm seeing Tony Allen with better offense.
He asked for a comp if he reaches his full potential.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
He asked for a comp if he reaches his full potential.
Tony Allen's been probably the best perimeter defender in the league for a few years running now. If he had a serviceable jumpshot and reliable handles he'd be a regular all-star. I just don't see a Lebron/Wade mashup there. Top-5 at his position at some point? Sure. Not an MVP candidate though.

EDIT: The Sprewell comparison actually isn't too bad

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Tony Allen? Lol.

I'm not sure on a player comparison. I don't see him ever being a big scorer. Maybe low 20s at some point. But putting up great all-around numbers. I see maybe 18-20, 6-7, 6-7 kind of numbers. At worst borderline All-Star.

He'd be great next to a superstar level player. Wiggins?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I don't see it with Oladipo. Fantastic athlete and defender, but he's never going to be the primary ball handler on a good team (or even secondary). He's an off-ball, cuts and three's guy. I know they are trying to force him into a combo guard type roll in Orlando right now, but I don't think that will last. He could barely even dribble two years ago in college. He's improved a lot but I've never thought he looks natural. He might make an all-star game someday as a numbers accumulator, but I think the Wade and Lebron comparisons are some of the loopiest stuff I've ever heard.

Now, I thought a lot of the same things about Russell Westbrook when he came into the league, but he always had a much better handle.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
I don't see it with Oladipo. Fantastic athlete and defender, but he's never going to be the primary ball handler on a good team (or even secondary). He's an off-ball, cuts and three's guy. I know they are trying to force him into a combo guard type roll in Orlando right now, but I don't think that will last. He could barely even dribble two years ago in college. He's improved a lot but I've never thought he looks natural. He might make an all-star game someday as a numbers accumulator, but I think the Wade and Lebron comparisons are some of the loopiest stuff I've ever heard.

Now, I thought a lot of the same things about Russell Westbrook when he came into the league, but he always had a much better handle.
Nowhere near Lebron. Doubtful at Wade's level but he is Wade-ish. His handle is better than I expected and he's got that Wade sneakiness of being able to get into the lane. He should be a guy who draws a lot of fouls and shoots a lot of free throws.

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Welcome to the boards. :cheers:

I haven't watched enough of him yet to be able to throw a comparison out there. But if he has a similar career to either of those two players, he's in good shape.

·
Administrator
67,768 Posts
Tony Allen's been probably the best perimeter defender in the league for a few years running now. If he had a serviceable jumpshot and reliable handles he'd be a regular all-star. I just don't see a Lebron/Wade mashup there.
Did you read what I typed at all? I didn't say Lebron/Wade. I said Russell Westbrook's defense (which isn't as good as Tony Allen's defense) with Dwayne Wade's offense at full potential. He might not quite get up to Wade's offensive ability, but I'm saying I don't think he'll be as good a defender as Allen either.

·
Premium Member
8,493 Posts
Did you read what I typed at all? I didn't say Lebron/Wade. I said Russell Westbrook's defense (which isn't as good as Tony Allen's defense) with Dwayne Wade's offense at full potential. He might not quite get up to Wade's offensive ability, but I'm saying I don't think he'll be as good a defender as Allen either.
Once again, I have a very difficult time seeing Oladipo as a 30 ppg guy at this level.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts