Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which season in their franchise were the knicks the best? what was the team?

·
Registered
8,634 Posts
Definetly the 1969-70 team. I wasn't born until a little bit later, but still that team was good. Willis Reed, Dave DeBusschere, Bill Bradley, Walt Frazier, they all played like a team, unselfish, and beat the heavily favored Lakers in the finals.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Played as a team, YES----a Great team!!!

4 Top 50 players---3 of who I believe were legit top 50---Frazier, Debusherre, and Willis---the 4th, Bradley(my boyhood hero is the 4th all time top 50...I don't believe that he;'s legit there---reminder---he's my boyhood hero and I think he's great!.

They sett a then NBA record for 18 straight wins, and they tied the season record for wins---they may have been an underdog late in the series...after Willis's injury.....the Lakers were often "Fizzling Finals Favorites"!'....

...The Knicks were truly an extension of the Celtic philosophy---great players PLUS role players----the great Knick teams had great players and they had lots of "spare parts", which Holzman used brilliantly---Stallworth("Dave the Rave"), and Cazzie Russel were major guys who provide an off trhe bench platoon----Riordan, May, Memminger were in that run as well----the Lakers never had that---they were BEHIND on coaching---all the great players, but virtual non-recognition of Role players and "spare Parts" guys---I think that was their main failing through there "bridesmaid years".

It's a lesson to be remembered today----flash and stats don't equal wins. The Brad Millers and Bobby Suras and Bobby Jacksons and Kurt Thomases and Scott Pollards, etc. are BIG Role Players---- they are more important players to good teams than Jalen Rose and Q Richardson and Jamal Crawford etc..... The "fantasy" guys have never gotten it!----

----look at "the Reds"--Aurbach and Holzman---se how those teams were built----it's the model used in Houston and San Antonio and Chicago---Great players plus Great Role players.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts