Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No big point, just a fun little snippet from the Cleveland Plain Dealer

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1131878226200641.xml&coll=2

On May 11, 1992, the Portland Trail Blazers and the Phoenix Suns played in a playoff classic in the last game at Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

Portland's 153-151 double-overtime victory is the highest-scoring playoff game in NBA history. Terry Porter, Clyde Drexler and Danny Ainge combined for 89 points.

It was Game 4 of the Western Conference semifinals. The Suns tied the score at 106 in the fourth quarter. The Suns went ahead, 125-118, on two Tom Chambers' free throws with 2:34 left. But Portland rallied behind Porter, who scored five of his team's next nine points to send the game into overtime tied at 127.
Neither team led by more than two in the first overtime. Porter missed two free throws with 8.4 seconds left and Kevin Johnson sent the game into a second OT, sinking a 15-footer with 2.7 seconds left.

"What stands out in the game for me is missing those free throws," Porter said. "You always remember the ones you miss instead of the ones you made. I could've finished the game in the first overtime."

Porter would get another chance. The Suns rallied and led, 149-146, with less than a minute and a half to play. The Trail Blazers regained a two-point lead with 10.7 seconds left. The Suns missed a shot, and fouled Porter. He split a pair of free throws with 3.6 seconds left to put the Blazers up, 153-151. The Suns' Dan Majerle then missed a 3-pointer to seal the game for Portland.

"I somewhat redeemed myself by splitting those free throws," Porter said. "That helped a little. I would've beaten myself up if we would've lost that game."

Portland went on to win the series, before losing to the Chicago Bulls in the NBA Finals in six games.

·
Registered
910 Posts
TomBoerwinkle#1 said:
No big point, just a fun little snippet from the Cleveland Plain Dealer

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1131878226200641.xml&coll=2
1st, it's Portland memorial coliseum. second, it wasn't the last game at memorial coliseum. they still played there until 1994 or 1995 I believe, not to mention the finals that followed the phoenix. and 3rd, those were the semi finals, the wcf's were against utah. those people in cleveland are idiots, or don't know how to do simple research. nice story though. those were the good ole days. to bad we never won a title.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
tradetheo said:
1st, it's Portland memorial coliseum. second, it wasn't the last game at memorial coliseum. they still played there until 1994 or 1995 I believe, not to mention the finals that followed the phoenix. and 3rd, those were the semi finals, the wcf's were against utah. those people in cleveland are idiots, or don't know how to do simple research. nice story though. those were the good ole days. to bad we never won a title.
actually, it's Phoenixs' Veterans Memorial Coliseum, and it was the last game played at VMC (for Phoenix).

Since it was game 4, it was a road game (since we had HCA).

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
tradetheo said:
Wasn't that game played in Phoenix, which if I remember correctly had a Veterans Memorial Coliseum too? The Coliseum in Portland was also called Veterans Memorial Coliseum, but was called The Memorial Coliseum for short or the Glass Palace. Maybe Hap can set us all straight on it since he seems to be a Blazer Historian.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts