Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the Trail Blazers continue to plod through the season — the latest installment an embarrassing 108-77 loss to Houston on Wednesday — a silver lining to the losses has emerged: Travis Outlaw has shown he is ready to be an NBA player.

And after his biggest performance yet Wednesday, it wouldn’t be far-fetched to say the 20-year-old is flirting with what can probably be described as star talent.
Whether that evolves into the actual thing is another question, but everyone associated with the Blazers — who have seen Outlaw show flashes of brilliance in nearly every practice — says Outlaw has the tools to become something special.

“He’s turning into a legitimate, big-time player,” interim coach Kevin Pritchard said.
http://www.oregonlive.com/sportslogs/blazers/

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Grgs has worked his magic with Outlaw. I remember last year when he came into Fall Camp as a rookie, all the beat writers were saying he was 3-4 years away from contributing anything.

Btw, Why isn't Travis Outlaw starting ahead of Viktor?!

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
QRICH said:
Grgs has worked his magic with Outlaw. I remember last year when he came into Fall Camp as a rookie, all the beat writers were saying he was 3-4 years away from contributing anything.

Btw, Why isn't Travis Outlaw starting ahead of Viktor?!
thats mainly because our beat-writers are idiots.

Doesn't anyone remember how the writers in Portland were mocking Outlaw when he did the phone call "press conference" after the draft 2 years ago?

He accidentially hung up, and some (more than 1 too) mocked his accent, and implied he was too stupid to know that the phone hung up.

Travis was basically given the stigma of being a "stupid country boy" and Bob Whitsitts "well, he's a dumb kid who won't do anything wrong, but will never amout to anything " pick.

I remember getting emails from GR saying that when people at espn (espn's sports commentators and the like) heard the blazers were taking Outlaw, they were laughing, saying it was a 'typical' stupid athlete pick by the blazers. And one, iirc, even saying he'd never amount to diddily.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Hap said:
Doesn't anyone remember how the writers in Portland were mocking Outlaw when he did the phone call "press conference" after the draft 2 years ago?
Yes. It was sad and pathetic.

Ed O.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Does anyone think this could be our legitimate SL for opening night later on this fall
PG-Telfair,SG-Outlaw,SF-Miles,PF-Randolph,C-Pryzbilla?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I hope that he can prove all those arrogant you-know-whats wrong. His amazing physical tools combined with the skill he already has and the determination he's been lauded for should all add up to him being a great player. I don't want to put all my hopes on his shoulders (like I may have done with Miles last year... I don't really remember :rolleyes:) but out of all our small forwards, he seems to have all the right pieces necessary for stardom.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
Does anyone think this could be our legitimate SL for opening night later on this fall
PG-Telfair,SG-Outlaw,SF-Miles,PF-Randolph,C-Pryzbilla?
It could be our lineup, but I think the team would be lucky to win 30 games unless they add some serious firepower to the bench (and if there were serious firepower on the bench, it'd probably be able to crack that lineup).

Ed O.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
Well you could figure in Monia,Khryapa,Ratliff, 1st round pick, MLE, also comming off of the bench. I think Outlaw is going to really improve over these last few games and blow up in the summer leagues.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
Well you could figure in Monia,Khryapa,Ratliff, 1st round pick, MLE, also comming off of the bench. I think Outlaw is going to really improve over these last few games and blow up in the summer leagues.
You're also subtracting SAR, Damon, and NVE: three guys who helped us win most of the games that we've actually won this season.

I don't disagree that the team will be talented next year, and I am not ignoring the fact that most of the guys should improve. But they're not going to be good unless Portland can add a player good enough to break into the starting 5 you list, and even then the team might not get to .500.

Ed O.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
We will miss SAR but losing NVE and Damon is addition by Subtraction. They just take way too many damn shots.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
We will miss SAR but losing NVE and Damon is addition by Subtraction. They just take way too many damn shots.
Addition by subtraction only works (if it works at all) when you have people to replace the people you get rid of. I don't see anyone in the back court who's nearly as good as either Damon or Nick.

In a couple years we might have several... but next year? None.

Ed O.

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Travis is getting the legit vote of Confidence that so few Blazers rookies/youngsters have received over the years. Playing, knowing you aren't gonna be jerked out immediately if you make a mistake so that "his confidence doesn't get shaken" must really jolt your confidence.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts