Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else in here see Ollie Taylor or Fly Williams play in the ABA.

Ollie played on the '72 Rick Barry Finals team. He was 6'2 and had a 46" vertical. Nets took out the Colonels (who won 68 games that season) in six games, and the highlight of the series was a rack-attack jam by Ollie Taylor over Artis Gilmore. Ollie could jump and jam.

Fly Williams played for the Spirits of St. Louis for one season, minus front teefers, averaged in double figures, and contributed to Spirits upsetting Nets in the '75 playoffs. Then he just went back to streetball.

I miss the ABA badly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I saw Ollie Taylor play for the Rick Barry led NY Nets in the old Long Island Arena. And like you I saw him dunk, a rather spectacular two handed dunk over Gilmore. In my memory it was like Taylor grabbed an offensive rebound, backed up a few steps toward the free throw line and when the traffic cleared pivoted full steam ahead right over Gilmore, nearly stuffing Gilmores head an arms into the basket along with the ball. It was as if he climbed a latter right up Gilmore's chest to get over him. Quite the site. Had the game been televised it would have been one of those dunks that they played over and over again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts