Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
He looks awesome tonight! Thank God we don't have to watch Woods at the point anymore! :grinning:

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
You're 2 for 2 tonight, BC. :laugh: Dale's gotta love this kid. I really hope he pans out to be at least the Jamaal Tinsley I've compared him to and less like Erick Barkley, who we all love.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Cook looked like he knew what he was doing, definitely. Excellent bounce passes and the team broke the press easily with him in there.

Hopefully he can string together a few more solid appearances, and hopefully Qyntel can continue to get good minutes at a position where he actually is comfortable (2 or 3).

Ed O.

·
Registered
9,187 Posts
i told yall blazer fans... cook belongs ;)

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I've been very disturbed (hey!) for a while now watching Damon immediately pick up the dribble when he's pressed 90' from the basket. Watching Omar in there consistently pushing the ball forward was a breath of fresh air.

He has a funny style about him, but he certainly knows how to run an offense. Granted, anyone ought to be able to pick up this offense within a day, but we've got the market on players that fall short of even that most simple of goals.

Dan

p.s. It's "lil" friend, not "little." Gotta get the accent right.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I really, REALLY like what I saw from Cook tonight. He collapsed the Suns' defense several times with penetration, only to punish them with *very* precise passes to open players. 3 assists in 12 minutes? That equates to 12 assists per 48. I can dig that.

But did anyone else here notice how smoothly the (half-court) offense ran when Cook was running it? See that pick & roll he did with Davis? When was the last time *any* Blazer PG ran a pick & roll?

Trying to remember that this was only one game, that this may have been an "on" night for Cook, and that he's gonna have "off" nights as well. Still, the dude made a good first impression tonight, even more impressive because he didn't look like a deer in the headlights. He looks like he's ready to contribute as a backup in the NBA.

Just hope Damon doesn't wig out on us again.

PBF

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
this may have been an "on" night for Cook, and that he's gonna have "off" nights as well
I was thinking about that, too. However, I noticed a few plays -- particularly on defense -- where he put forth effort but simply got lost. Didn't seem like he was playing out of his mind. Didn't seem scared or overly jazzed.

I think what we saw was a pretty good indication of what he is as a player.

And yes, those crisp, authoritative passes sure were nice to see. It's beyond aggravating to watch Damon and DA loft lazy passes to the post player who is pushed 20' from the basket because the pass is so late getting there...

Dan

·
Registered
285 Posts
So far so good

I liked what I saw from Cook in this game. It looked like he was very comfortable with the ball, and he knew exactly who to pass it to. He made some very smart passes that I rarely see out of Stoudamire. If he develop a jumper, watch out.

Looks like a legit 6'1", too. I was afraid he would be around Stoudamire's height, after reading some posted that Cook is around 5'10".

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
the one that impressed me was when he had great dribble penetration on the right side and threw a long cross-court pass on the money to a wide open Wesley Person. (Person missed, though.)

he showed me an ability to make passes over people as well as under them. also showed me he's already learned where Person likes to get the ball, and is looking for him already.

he also made Dale Davis look like, well, Zach Randolph for a while there. he got the ball into him at waist level where he could catch it and do something, not at the knees where Damon so often seems to put it.

on top of that, he was exceptionally quick in just getting the ball out of his hands. no screwing around, "waiting for the play to develop." let a teammate try to create, and have faith in his willingness to pass it back if he's unable to.

Cook just looked so good so quickly that I can't help but get my hopes up. I think he's going to give us a clear choice: setup guy with no outside shot vs. outside shooter with no setup.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
I always knew we needed a good PG to make the team better..but damn it all to heckistan...

Cook showed, albeit in a small amount of time and not an accurate description of overall game, what it's like to have have a good passing PG in the game.

The offense ran smoother, and it was like the team was fast-breakin'..

Thats not to say Damon had a bad game, as he did. But you could see the dribble dribble dribble a lot more after Cook went out.

Cook passed the ball well before Sheed(was he tossed before Cook got to play?)/others had a chance to be pushed out of the block. That lead to generally easier shots, or better passing.

How many crisp passes did the team make in the 1st half yesterday too? Cook made some good cross court passes, that were generally spot on!

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Apparently, Zach and Darius lobbied to get Cook on the team

Cook said the call-up was unexpected but he knew that some of his friends on the Trail Blazers, like forwards Zach Randolph and Darius Miles, were lobbying Portland management in his favor. The Trail Blazers need a true point guard after trading Jeff McInnis to Cleveland. Portland had been experimenting with second-year forward Qyntel Woods in the position.
and.....

"He's going to get the opportunity to work with one of the best point guards to ever play in the NBA," Patriots coach Jeff Capel said. "We were talking about that yesterday before he left. Omar needs to work hard, be the first one there, be the last to leave, ask a lot of questions."
When I first read that, I thought he was referring to Damon! :eek: Fortunately, it was Cheeks he was talking about. :laugh:

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Cook truelly is a case of mistaken timing on when to enter the draft.

He was one of the players that bought into his own hype and left college after his freshman season. The kid still has potential and has room to grow as he is only 22 and truthfully should be considered a rookie as he logged no PT with Indiana who drafted him.

As far as I have been able to tell last night was his frist NBA regular season game.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
This season, Cook started in all 24 games for Fayetteville, averaging 40.9 minutes, 10.2 points, 9 assists and 2.6 steals. His assists and steals totals led the NBDL, and he was on pace to break the NBDL single-season assists record, which he owns.
my goodness, that must count for something.

it's funny, i've read nothing but good things about the guy, he's a perfect age for a prospect, he's at the second shallowest position in the NBA, and he is a truly rare commodity--a pass-first point guard.

what gives? why is it nobody else has him? why did Indiana toss him out?

it can't just because he's got no outside jumper, because guys like Rod Strickland and Andre Miller have kicked around the NBA as far back as I can remember.

besides, he's only 22. lots of guys learn to shoot after that age. hell, Sheed became a prolific three point shooter at 26.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ABM</b>!
Apparently, Zach and Darius lobbied to get Cook on the team

and.....

When I first read that, I thought he was referring to Damon! :eek: Fortunately, it was Cheeks he was talking about. :laugh:
of course, zach and Omar were hs teammates at Christ the King here in NY. Darius Miles considered going to st johns before declaring for the draft, so he and omar were friends cuz they both were recruited to play ball there.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>knickstorm</b>!

of course, zach and Omar were hs teammates at Christ the King here in NY. Darius Miles considered going to st johns before declaring for the draft, so he and omar were friends cuz they both were recruited to play ball there.
Zach Randolph went to high school in Marion, Indiana. I think you're confusing him with another Zach... probably Zach Williams, who went to Ohio State.

Ed O.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts