Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm borrowing this idea from Basketball Reference. Every day they post about an event or two that were noteworthy on this date at some other time in basketball history. I figured we could start the trend here as well. The one I found most interesting for today was...

Gary Grant (2nd year PG of the Clippers) put up a shocking 21 assists in a win over the Supersonics. His second season turned out to be the best of his career statistically. After the following season, he was never a starter again. That reminded me a little of the Scott Skiles games where he had 30 assists in a win over the Nuggets. Grant was guarded by a combination of Dana Barros and Avery Johnson, while Skiles was guarded by the infamous defensive sieve formerly known as Chris Jackson.

I also noticed that the All-Star game was played today in 1955. It didn't start getting played in February until 1976.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Ya great thread.

I never looked into that Skiles game but jesus 155 pts in regulation with only 4 threes made? I don't think you can blame Chris Jackson for that. That's epicly bad defense.

As for Gary Grant, was this kind of a one hit wonder situation?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Great idea for a thread. In regards to Skiles 30 assists, even if there was questionable defense, you can go see the video. He still pulled off some incredible passes and his teammates were on fire. He was going for the pass first and threaded the needle to the open players.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts