1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What?
On the 30th August 1953 Robert Parish was born in in Shreveport, Louisiana
Who?
Robert Parish, a C, had a long and ilustrious career in the NBA, playing 1611 regular season games, averaging 14.5ppg (.537FG%) / 9.1rpg / 1.4apg / 1.5bpg, winning 3 ½ championships.
He also pissed me off (more on that later).
In 1996 he was voted as one of the 50 greatest players ever:
http://www.nba.com/history/players/50greatest.html
Inducted in the HOF in 2003
Why should we care?
Before he went nuts, Parish had a very interesting career, beginning in Golden State, where he played in the Rick Barry-led Warriors. They were an interesting team (Barry, Silk) and, with Parish subbing Clifford Ray, even went to game 7 of the 1977 WCF (Lakers).
Then the Celtics raped the NBA, acquiring Parish and the 1980 1st round draft pick (turned out to be Kevin freaking McHale) for 2 1st round picks (turned out to be Joe Barely Cares and Rickey Brown).
Paired with McHale and a certain Hick from French Lick, he was the starting C for the 3-time champions Celtics, earning multiple ASG selections and 2 All-Nba Team votes along the way.
Then he went crazy.
Obsessed with KAJ’s record (not the first time a Celtic has penis-envy regarding a Laker) Robert Parish prolonged unnecessarily his career with stints with Charlotte (as a scrub sub) and Chicago (where they say he won a championship), making a fool of himself and tarnishing his legacy.
Enough already!
No!:
Robert Parish was nicknamed “The Chief” by Cedric Maxwell, after the character Chief Bromden of the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
He was also a stoner:
http://articles.latimes.com/1993-02-12/sports/sp-1478_1_robert-parish
And
Fought like a girl (0:17)

·
Premium Member
26,979 Posts
Hey, what else would you expect from the Chief but a tomahawk chop to the head?

Also, I'll point out that Joe Barely Cares was pretty good pre-injury, and the draft day trade was pretty fair, Parish & #3 in what was perceived as a two player draft for #1 & #13 was pretty fair. Boston got lucky when Utah ignored the other guy in favour of the flashy guard from Louisville. It would have been a three player draft but Ronnie Lester's knee was held together by duct tape and baling wire by the time he got to the NBA.

·
Rip City
21,400 Posts
I have fond memories of Parish playing with the Celtics when I was a kid. I would even incorporate his unique shooting style into my own game on the basketball court.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts