Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

One more great thing about the Clippers

1K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Bully 
#1 ·
You don't see any of their players on the overpaid list. Check out Hoopsworld.com list at each position - we all hope Sterling pays to keep our great young team together, but in the end, I would rather have a stingey ******* owner with young talent than Alan Houston's contract, Kemp's contract, Ilgauskis contract... .

Bully

Discussion starter · #17 ·
RD is right on (in agreeing with me). While Sterling has never paid the big bucks, he has never overpaid for mediocore talent. His history he has shown he has made all the right moves regarding Manning, Mo Taylor, Ron Harper - as I believe someone notes, Derek Anderson may have been worth a decent contract, but he had no interest in staying.

Again, there really should be no arguement here. To argue, is to say the Clippers should be paying Mo Taylor 10 mil a year right now - which would obviously be idiotic. I thought my original point was quite clear - I don't want to be a fan of a team that pays Alan Houston 100 mil when he is basically done - still decent, but his best years are behind him.

Lets see how things go down these next two months. All reports confirm the Clips are talking to Kandi and Brand and I am hopeful they will sign one or both before the October deadline. If they sign neither, that will be a bad sign, but not a catastrophic one. The Clips will still very likely be in a position to offer more than money than any other team to all of their potential free agents next year. Yes, there will be more teams with more room to spend, but there are other top flight FA's available and, like most years, 80% - 95% of the teams have there own problems/FA's to worry about. The biggest concern has to be Kandy - while there is debate re how much he deserves, there is no question he is their one player other teams will structure themselves specifically to make him a big offer - true/capable centers in the NBA are too hot a commodity. True/capable centers always seem to get offered way more than they deserve - see Ilgauskas +.

Miller and Odom should be wait and see guys - for both sides. Odom needs to prove him self on and off the court and Miller needs to know (and to prove) if he is good fit here.

There is no question that the Clips have the biggest stockpile of young talent in the league - especially with the additions of Wilcox, Jaric and Ely - to a group that lost none of their young studs - hopefully we can say that next year.

Clipper fans - keep the faith.

Bully

Discussion starter · #19 ·
Your point is well taken.

But on the same point, every major publication and especially the L.A. Times blasted the Clippers for not giving Mo Taylor the max. The reasons for not giving him the max were quite clear - a starting power forward who doesn't rebound well (averaged just over 5 at the time) was not worth it. Everyone else said he is your up'n coming young talent - you have to sign him. In conclusion, Sterling was right and everyone else was wrong (including Baylor) who would have given the farm away.

Was Baker worth the max when they gave it to me - I think that is debatable ? Was Croshere's ? Not. Was Houston worth the max when they gave it to him - I know I blasted the Knicks on this site after that move - many other publications did as well. Many of which pointed out that aging #2 guards (at Houstons age) were a very poor investment - based on recent "like" players.

I don't blame the Clippers for being overly cautious about paying the big bucks - one mistake now can be a mistake that hurts your team for 5-7 years.

Bully

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.