Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our post-game radio-show has kept going on about how this was not a very great win since portland is one of the worst teams ever. Do you agree with this statement or do u think it is too rash? I think, no offense, Portland is in shambles right now as they cannot get a consistent starting line-up and rotation.

As all of you agree, Portland is a bad team right now, but what would you do in the off-season to help your chances next year?
(Draft, free-agency, trade)

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
NWdivisionCHAMPS said:
05-06 50-win Line-up:
PG- Ridnour(30); Watson(18)
SG- Allen(33); Brandon Roy(8); Watson(7)
SF- Lewis(33); Brandon Roy(5); Wilkins(10)
PF- Wilcox(30); Collison(18)
C- Swift(25); Petro(23)

One of the most complete teams in the league Now to work on not giving up 110 ppg on defense..
u need to change ur sig to avoid looking like a fool.I think we are one of the worst teams of all time only team worse all time is the knicks.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
NWdivisionCHAMPS said:
Our post-game radio-show has kept going on about how this was not a very great win since portland is one of the worst teams ever. Do you agree with this statement or do u think it is too rash? I think, no offense, Portland is in shambles right now as they cannot get a consistent starting line-up and rotation.

As all of you agree, Portland is a bad team right now, but what would you do in the off-season to help your chances next year?
(Draft, free-agency, trade)
The Blazers weren't a playoff contender even when healthy, but have been killed this year by injuries to Miles, Ratliff and Przybilla for big chunks of the season. Zach Randolph is still nowhere near back to his pre-injury form. So, yeah, if you take a bad team, give it some really bad breaks with respect to injuries of key veterans, have guys like Miles and Ratliff quit entirely because they're PO'd that they weren't traded, and then decide that its time to start thinking about next year and start playing the young guys long minutes....at this point the Blazers are pathetic.

That said, there's a lot of young talent and with a good draft and a couple of trades, this team will be a lot better next season. Probably still not a playoff team, but hopefully on the way back up.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Here is what I would do...

Trade Miles for Jerry Stackhouse(Contract expires after next season) and Dallas's 2006 1st round pick

Trade Ratliff and Dixon for Jalen Rose(Contract expires after next season and some sweetner(SA or Denver 1st, Jackie Butler, Lee or Nate)

Trade Steve for Clevelands 2006 1st round pick

Draft Adam Morrison or Andrea with Portlands own pick

Trade Detroits, Dallas's and Clevelands 1st rounder for a higher 1st rounder in this draft if we can get one of these big men(In order of preferance)

1. LaMarcus Aldridge(Wont happen)
2. Tyrus Thomas(Wont happen)
3. Joakim Noah
4. Josh McRoberts
5. Patrick O'Bryant
6. Tiago Splitter
7. Shelden Williams(If he doesnt measure under 6'9)
8. Al Horford

If we cant get any of those big men, trade the other 1st rounders to a bad team for a future 07 1st rounder

2006/07 Roster
PG- Sebastion Telfair/Jarrett Jack
SG- Jerry Stackhouse/Martell Webster
SF- Jalen Rose/Adam Morrison/VK
PF- Zach Randolph/VK/2nd Round Pick(Paul Milsap hopefully)
C- Brian Skinner/Drafted Center

Jerry Stackhouse, Jalen Rose, Brian Skinner and Derek Anderson all expire at the end of next season. Adam and Martell get significant minutes off the bench to learn a bit and start in 07/08.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
One of the worst teams ever? No. A really bad team? Yes.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
David Locke is a bit of a Sonic homer---he thinks Robert Swift will be a superstar.... :raised_ey . Yeah.
So when he says he wouldn't build a team with anyone on that team but Steve Blake, I don't take him too serious.....but from what I saw tonight, the Blazers have a long, long road ahead to the postseason. I think it's more a mind thing right now, but I'm just going on what I saw tonight.....I haven't seen the Blazers play since before the trade deadline when they played in Seattle, so its hard to judge on one game.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
ThatBlazerGuy said:
Here is what I would do...

Trade Miles for Jerry Stackhouse(Contract expires after next season) and Dallas's 2006 1st round pick

Trade Ratliff and Dixon for Jalen Rose(Contract expires after next season and some sweetner(SA or Denver 1st, Jackie Butler, Lee or Nate)

Trade Steve for Clevelands 2006 1st round pick

Draft Adam Morrison or Andrea with Portlands own pick

Trade Detroits, Dallas's and Clevelands 1st rounder for a higher 1st rounder in this draft if we can get one of these big men(In order of preferance)

1. LaMarcus Aldridge(Wont happen)
2. Tyrus Thomas(Wont happen)
3. Joakim Noah
4. Josh McRoberts
5. Patrick O'Bryant
6. Tiago Splitter
7. Shelden Williams(If he doesnt measure under 6'9)
8. Al Horford

If we cant get any of those big men, trade the other 1st rounders to a bad team for a future 07 1st rounder

2006/07 Roster
PG- Sebastion Telfair/Jarrett Jack
SG- Jerry Stackhouse/Martell Webster
SF- Jalen Rose/Adam Morrison/VK
PF- Zach Randolph/VK/2nd Round Pick(Paul Milsap hopefully)
C- Brian Skinner/Drafted Center

Jerry Stackhouse, Jalen Rose, Brian Skinner and Derek Anderson all expire at the end of next season. Adam and Martell get significant minutes off the bench to learn a bit and start in 07/08.

for a pipe-dream scenerio you aren't reaching very high. why don't we just trade miles and ratliff for nowitzki?

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I haven't really thought about whether we're one of the worst teams ever... it's still a bit of a shock realizing that we are probably the worst team in the NBA this year.

ESPN.com has our point differential at -9.0. I don't know if that includes tonight's game or not. I'm guessing not, because they have Joel having played 54 games elsewhere in their stats, and he played in game number 55 tonight.

So if they were at -9.0 after 72 games, a 39 point loss in game number 73 pushes us down to -9.41. New York was sitting at -6.5 and Atltanta was at -5.2, so Portland is clearly in a class of its own.

Wow. Losing by near double-digits. On average.

Using the same site, I looked up the worst in other years in this category (worse than -8.0):

2004-05: Atlanta, -9.7
2002-03: Clevelaned, -9.6
2002-03: Denver, -8.3
2001-02: Chicago, -8.5
2000-01: Chicago, -9.1
2000-01: Golden State, -9.0

For kicks, here are the Blazers' differentials:

2004-05: -4.0
2003-04: -1.3
2002-03: +2.6
2001-02: +3.0
2000-01: +4.2

A definite pattern there :)

One of the worst teams of the decade? Absolutely. Maybe the worst. Of all time? I find that very, very hard to believe.

Ed O.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,987 Posts
No, not one of the worst teams ever. Just a bad team with injuries and players that have gave up on the season against a rival team that we beat last time we played them. I mean if we are one of the worst teams ever then they got beat by one of the worst teams ever.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
I don't think that this team has been hit particularly hard by injuries. The guys that have been hurt are, almost to a man, plagued with long and/or relatively recent histories of injury.

Theo and Joel have been made of glass for the past half-decade for the most part. Miles has been dinged for much of the past several years, and Zach was coming off of major knee surgery.

The Blazers sure would be (and would have been) better if no injuries had happened, but the team's roster was asking to be impacted severely by them and we shouldn't be surprised that it is.

Further, whenever we look at all-time worst team contenders, there are going to be similar reasons for why they were bad. With the expception, perhaps, of some expansion teams, bad teams are bad because they get guys hurt, because they have coaching issues, or because players bail out mentally.

Portland should be compared to other teams based on how they've performed, not why they've only performed like that, IMO.

Ed O.

·
Registered
6,659 Posts
Ed O said:
I don't think that this team has been hit particularly hard by injuries. The guys that have been hurt are, almost to a man, plagued with long and/or relatively recent histories of injury.
It's true that they are players with semi-chronic injury issues. That being said, Portland was still "hit hard by injuries."

It happened, whether it's a regular occurance or a freak one.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Samuel said:
It's true that they are players with semi-chronic injury issues. That being said, Portland was still "hit hard by injuries."

It happened, whether it's a regular occurance or a freak one.
Players also have breathed air. And the team has lost a lot of games.

Making those statements doesn't lend too much to a discussion about the worst teams of all time, since almost all of the contenders for worst teams ever (a) breathed air, (b) lost a lot of games, and (c) were hit hard by injuries.

That, and not that the team has been anything approaching injury-free, was the point I was trying to make. I'm sorry for the lack of clarity.

Ed O.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Ed O said:
For kicks, here are the Blazers' differentials:

2004-05: -4.0
2003-04: -1.3
2002-03: +2.6
2001-02: +3.0
2000-01: +4.2

A definite pattern there :)
Prosperity is just around the corner. We just have to get rid of the players, the management, the owner, the arena, the remaining fans, and possibly the city, and we'll be all set. Things are looking up!

barfo

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,987 Posts
Ed O said:
Players also have breathed air. And the team has lost a lot of games.

Making those statements doesn't lend too much to a discussion about the worst teams of all time, since almost all of the contenders for worst teams ever (a) breathed air, (b) lost a lot of games, and (c) were hit hard by injuries.

That, and not that the team has been anything approaching injury-free, was the point I was trying to make. I'm sorry for the lack of clarity.

Ed O.
That doesn't make much sense Ed. The worst teams would be the ones that didn't have injuries to their best players but had worst records or the same. Then it was their talent, not injuries. Now when you find some teams that didn't breath your comparision might make a bit more sense.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,987 Posts
But the giving up on the season excuse shouldn't be used because I'm sure the worst teams did that.

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,987 Posts
mgb said:
That doesn't make much sense Ed. The worst teams would be the ones that didn't have injuries to their best players but had worst records or the same. Then it was their talent, not injuries. Now when you find some teams that didn't breath your comparision might make a bit more sense.
Actually some teams might have had a player die. I know of at least one draft pick.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The Sonics aren't one of the worst teams EVER, they have the worst defense ever....:). It's really amazing that the Sonics have won 30 games, considering that fact. Hell, they give up 106 pts on average--if they played defense & rebounded, who knows where the Supes could be.

We had injuries this season: Ray missed some important games [Miami, GS when they were playing well, LAClippers] due to suspension & missed one due to illness, Rashard has missed some including tonight & against Houston, Luke missed a handful when we didn't have another PG on the roster, Nick has been injured a long time & he's our best big defender & offensive rebounder, Fortson was key last year & has been a nonfactor due to a knee injury, & the chemistry midway through the season was horrible, w/ guys giving up (specifically the guys that were traded & were on one year deals.) So injuries are an excuse every team can make.

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
well soon mr allen will only have to worry about what the seahawks are doing, his choices have killed the blazers in 2 years sad!

·
Registered
80 Posts
You guys have one of the worst teams ever and to make matters worse, the team has quit playing this season. The players have quit on the city of Portland and so has your owner Paul Allen. Since John Nash has been your GM, your team has had a worse record each season.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.