Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm also re-posting this link because I guess some people missed it in the "Best Blazers Coverage" thread.

This was my interview with Woods. Q's a cool guy. One of the few that will actually talk on the team.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_7042.shtml

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I appreciate the good articles you do, Nathan. it's always great to hear the opinions from the players. I often say that you're the best reporter on the Blazers out there, because you actually use more than just a quote or two to frame a story.

however, this one was a little disappointing. several of your questions seemed to lead the interviewee to the same response: "give me more playing time."

you might have got more varied responses with questions like:
- what has surprised you most about playing point?
- you and Zach have shown great on-court chemistry in the past. which other teammates do you see that growing?
- why isn't DA helping bring the ball up more? do you think he can help you more?
- how would you describe Darius Miles' impact on the team?
- what changes in the overall team chemistry have happened with the addition of Miles and Person?

obviously, Woods has a certain agenda right now and really only wants to talk to the media about one thing, his minutes. still, the right question can steer it away from there.

other notes: the majority of your questions are actually longer than his responses. as a reader, I hate reading this. one key to interviewing is to have a ton of questions ready, but to follow up on things he's said.

for example, he said a big key Pippen taught him was to "get bigger." ask him what he means. mentally? physically? play with the arms further outstretched? (incidentally, "what do you mean by that?" is a great stock question EVERY interviewer should ask, even if you know what they mean. it's a great way of getting the interviewee to realize you want more on the subject.)

he also said Pippen was a good influence on him. who does he now consider a good influence and why?

eight of your eleven questions were answerable with a yes/no response. any salesperson can tell you these are the worst kind of questions for getting out long and more thought out responses.

questions beginning with "Why" "How" or "What" usually result in better answers than questions beginning with "Do you" or "Could/Would" or "Does".

hope you don't take my critique the wrong way. I think it's great you post here and write these things.

BTW--I really enjoyed meeting you at party a few weeks ago.

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, I have no problem with constructive criticism at all. Good tips.

I guess my concentration was thrown off because there would always be some kind of distraction for Woods. First it was Patterson yelling something at him. Then it was D-Miles coming up from behind and holding him so that Outlaw could slap him a couple times. Then it was Z-Bo coming over when he heard his name. "I hear something about Z-Bo?" and Q was like "Z-Bo aint (nothing)" joking of course. On the one hand it was great to see these guys joking around, but it was hard to keep Q's complete attention.

Still, I see what you mean. I'll keep all that in mind next Sunday when I talk to these guys again.

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
I can see that it'd be tough. still, though, if you're smart about it you can use the distractions to your advantage.

"You guys always seem to be kidding around. Yet the typical Portlander doesn't think 'chemistry' when they think of your team. Why do you think that's so?"

give a smile and say "So which of these guys cracks you up the most?"

when Zach came over, how about asking him "You've been around a little now, Zach. When do you think Qyntel is going to be a starter?"

these guys have all been instructed by the PR department in the Blazer organization to speak in cliche because it's the best way to avoid controversy.

when they're all kidding each other like that, it can actually be a great time to not only get a good answer, but build some closer ties to guys on the team.

after all, if it wasn't for Damon Stoudamire I really doubt Jason Quick would have a job.

·
Player Salary Geek
4,380 Posts
Nate -

What is your impression of Woods' feeling about being played at PG? Is he excited about the prospect? Indifferent? Is he just being a good team guy and doing what the coaches ask him to do?

I ask because it's tough to gauge simply from his answers. He's saying the right things, but I don't get a sense of what he's really feeling. It wouldn't surprise me if he's just saying the right thing, nor would it surprise me if he's genuinely excited about the prospect.

Did you get a feeling from him one way or the other?

Oh, and BTW, thanks for the interview! This is definitely the kind of stuff I love reading! :yes:

·
Retired From The Beat
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't think he likes playing point at all, but he likes getting minutes. Like he said multiple times, he just needs minutes to improve. Of course, this interview took place before the game against Chicago, and he didn't seem too happy about that game. I think he's being wasted at that position, and I think he agrees.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts