Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would be to have only four teams in each conference make the playoffs. Cut out that first round of the playoffs, have eight teams make the playoffs.
Think about it for a second.

Imagine the excitement as the Lakers, who have been hurt by injuries all year, make a mad dash for the playoffs in April, going on a 11 game winning streak. There would be pennant races! It would make the season so much more fun for me, to watch the standings every day to see who was in and who was out. There is no way this will ever happen, but I really think this could be something that would elevate the NBA to the same level that Baseball and Football have in Amercia -- two sports with meaningul regular season.

Hitman

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yeah..and think how money the NBA would lose showing less playoffs games and overall playing less games. The NBA is a buisness, therefore its goal is to make profits. By the way, if you think the baseball regular season games mean much you are smoking crack. They play so what seems to be a thousand games.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, more playoff games = more money for the NBA, but the 'business plan' that would be in effect for a move like this is that by reducing the number of teams that make the playoffs, you make the regular season that much more meaningful and appealing to the average fan. You would have 'playoff type' games in March and April as the 'pennant races' heated up.

And the baseball regular season in not meaningless. Yes there are 162 games but only 8 out of 32 teams make the playoffs, so you have to be very successful in the regular season to have a shot in the postseason. In the NBA you can sometimes be under 500 and get rewarded with a playoff berth and a chance to play for the NBA championship...in essence basically rendering the regular season meaningless, which means fewer people will watch and care about your product.

Hitman

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Personally, I like seeing a 5-8 seed getting a chance to surprise and knock off a top seed. To me, that makes it more exciting.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Personally I'd like to see the Eastern Conference play only the East, and the Western Conference play only the West. To me it'd make the finals that much better. They could also seed it so the division championships are actually important. Of course the NBA would lose mad cash from this, so it aint happening.

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
if there was no brackets of 8, then it would be the same thing as baseball, which is crap btw.

i mean, why would anyone watch a team play 162 games only to have a 10% chance of making the playoffs.

oh yeah, playoffs = more money

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
reduce the regular season by 15 games to 67, that would decrease injuries and keep players fresh and healthy for the playoffs. so instead of conference teams playing each other 4 times a season, make it 3

1 - 7 of 7 Posts