Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I want Waffles.
19,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On June 27, 2011, the WWE Universe witnessed one of the greatest tirades of all time. When CM Punk clasped the microphone in his hands, it became more than just a mouthpiece to speak to the crowd and the millions of viewers watching worldwide. The mic became his dangerous weapon, his "pipe bomb." And with that weapon, The Voice of the Voiceless let loose with such powerful emotion and conviction that his address became themost buzz worthy moment of the year. The events that followed in the months to come only cemented Punk's words in the minds of the WWE Universe. Punk would go on to capture his first WWE Championship, become a pay-per-view main eventer, and rise meteorically from suppressed Superstar to "Best in the World."
Its been a year since that legendary shoot(a year and 2 days). So lets relive that magicial moment and what we all thought was gonna lead to a change in the WWE(it didnt. Well it kinda did Daniel Bryan got pushed and Punk held the title for awhile)

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Best part of the summer/year for wrestling. Surprised they haven't done anything this summer to at least get people talking.

·
Look at your favorite team, now back to mine, mine
8,475 Posts
What made this moment so great was that it sort of shifted the product of the WWE and we suddenly saw a more interesting and unpredictable side of the WWE (for a couple months that is, before they went back to their usual shit). It was also what sparked interest in what was a great feud between Punk and Cena and of course the build up to arguably the best PPV of the year, MITB, and what many, including Meltzer, say was a five star match between Punk and Cena.

It's a shame we aren't going to get that this year (well, the five star match part we could definitely still get from Bryan and Punk, as long as it gets a good amount of time, and GOD FORBID, the Raw MITB ladder match ISN'T the main event.)

·
Yeah. I try not to think about it too much though because it reminds me of how much they ruined him after that, and now.

·
8,475 Posts
Which then led up to this. One of the biggest pops ever.

Um...I'm not sure I would go as far as saying "one of the biggest pops ever". This is no where close to being one of the biggest pops ever. Hell Brock Lesnar's return had a much louder pop than this.

·
8,475 Posts
Why oh why did they rush him back. :(
I have a feeling that if Summerslam wasn't right around the corner, WWE would've kept him out longer.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
They could've done something really spectacular with this and they blew it. Punk should have been gone for months after his shoot promo but Vince saw the dollar signs and brought him back way too soon.

·
8,475 Posts
They could've done something really spectacular with this and they blew it. Punk should have been gone for months after his shoot promo but Vince saw the dollar signs and brought him back way too soon.
Like I said, Summerslam was right around the corner. Remember this was all based around the time that Punk's contract expired. I don't think you can blame this one on the WWE. I would've done the same thing if one of my biggest PPV's of the year was coming up. Come on now, that just isn't smart business.

I do think however that putting Punk in a feud with Kevin Nash and having him lose the title to Del Rio was a very stupid call. I mean, KEVIN NASH. There. Do I even need to say anymore? So I don't think it was bringing Punk back so quickly that ruined the momentum for him, like I said I think it was the best decision with Summerslam coming up, but what they did with him afterwords just killed everything for him, and I don't like how he became a pure face rather than be a tweener.

·
Premium Member
12,189 Posts
Really? You seriously don't think they rushed bringing back Punk? Like I said before, he should've been off TV for a couple months. Then the whole WWE Champion vs. WWE Champion match would have felt a lot more special.

·
8,475 Posts
Really? You seriously don't think they rushed bringing back Punk? Like I said before, he should've been off TV for a couple months. Then the whole WWE Champion vs. WWE Champion match would have felt a lot more special.
And then what happens when you're second biggest show of the year comes up? You're just going to leave arguably the hottest thing you had going for you off of TV and leave him out of one of your biggest events? Where is the logic in that?

I'm not saying that his return wasn't rushed. Of course it was rushed. But in this case, there was a reason and a damn good one for it. The thing is, rushing his return isn't too bad of a decision just as long as you can at least make up for it with great storylines and feuds involving that certain person, in this case it being Cm Punk. WWE did not do that. Instead they wasted a month and a half of him on Kevin Nash, a guy who ended up never wrestling a single match against Punk, and having Punk lose to Triple H on PPV. Sure he got the WWE title back eventually, but there was so much more they could've done with Punk and fact is they didn't.

If this whole thing happened lets say after Extreme Rules, then there is no reason as to why Punk shouldn't be gone for AT LEAST a month. But Punk's contract expired around a bad time unfortunately. So this is at least reasonable. And he also ended up having his T shirt become the highest selling thing in the WWE. The horrible way they used him and making him a complete face wasn't reasonable, in fact it was just stupid. While many people like myself still enjoy watching him (sometimes), a lot of people quickly stopped caring simply because it's WWE being WWE. So why aren't we blaming that?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts