Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LINK

EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Ticker) -- The New Jersey Nets and Orlando Magic hope to help their playoff chances when they meet on Saturday.

In a pivotal Friday filled with games that held playoff implications, New Jersey made some significant progress. The Nets pulled out a 93-91 victory over the New York Knicks, breaking its ninth-place tie with Orlando and pulling within one-half game of eighth-place Philadelphia.

Vince Carter scored 31 points in New Jersey's third straight win and eighth in 10 games.

Saturday's contest is the Nets' last against the Magic. They face Philadelphia on April 17.

The Magic have fallen on hard times and lost at home on Friday - 111-102 to the Washington Wizards. It was Orlando's 11th loss in 14 games.

Rookie Dwight Howard scored 22 points and Steve Francis added 21 but Orlando was unable to come all the way back after allowing the Wizards to take a 93-69 lead after three quarters.

After Saturday's game, the Magic play eight of their final nine games against teams that currently hold a winning record.

Orlando won the first two meetings between the teams this season before Carter scored 33 in New Jersey's 98-82 win on March 13.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With Nelson, Hedo, and Christie already out with injuries - it looks like Grant Hill may not play tonight as well. Hill has injured his left shin again and says he might need some rest.

It is gonna be tough to win if Hill is out as well. At G/F we'd have only Francis, Barrett, Stevenson, and Augmon. With maybe Garrity playing some SF.

Francis and Dwight will have to have bigtime nights for us to be able to win.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I think Hill understands the importance of this game. He'll gut it out.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Captain Obvious is right on both counts. This is truly the last chance saloon; although i'm sure we'll all support the Magic and hope they win all the games after tonight, in reality if they don't win tonight it's over. I hope Grant realises there would be no point resting for tomorrow in those circumstances. GO MAGIC! :cbanana:

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WhoRocks said:
Captain Obvious is right on both counts. This is truly the last chance saloon; although i'm sure we'll all support the Magic and hope they win all the games after tonight, in reality if they don't win tonight it's over. I hope Grant realises there would be no point resting for tomorrow in those circumstances. GO MAGIC! :cbanana:
There is a point to Hill resting if his injury could increase the possibility of re-injuring that left ankle. I guess only Hill knows that one.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Hill will not play tonight. We're screwed.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
JNice said:

Hill will not play tonight. We're screwed.

I'd like to see some Garrity at the 3 tonight. The less we see of Augmon, the better.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Damn it, I just realized I'm not getting this game :curse:.

Why is Battie starting?

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Note sure why Cato isn't starting. He hasn't gotten into the game yet either. Kasun came off the bench before him.

Maybe injured?

Dwight is having a very good first quarter.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Captain Obvious said:
They're playing with the lights off, WTF?
Some of them are off or dimmed ... I thought it was my TV when it happened. :laugh:

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dwight picks up a really stupid 2nd foul with 20 seconds left in the first quarter.

Cato in now.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Scary, NJ still winning and Vince has been very quiet so far.

·
kiss my grits
18,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Dwight picks up his third on a crappy offensive foul. We're screwed.

·
Premium Member
100,045 Posts
Captain Obvious said:
Nice run by the Magic at the end of the half.
Yep, I turned it on and saw them down 12 in the second quarter but the guys that are actually out there and not injured are playing well. At least they're trying hard, what more can you ask for when you're playing on the road against a team playing very well of late and we have DeShawn Stevenson and Stacey Augmon in our starting lineup?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts