Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

181 - 200 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
I’m full on depressed about this, no doubt about it.
For anyone with an emotional investment this is so unforeseen and unprecedented that feeling down is probably normal, but it's not the end of the world. Nobody is shooting at us and we don't have all our worldly possessions tied to the top of the car with no place to go . Feeling bummed out is entirely normal. But if it seems like more than that it is time to talk to someone, anyone, about it and get things in perspective. In 6 months there will be another season.

Keep posting!

·
Premium Member
33,132 Posts
Feel badly for the players not only did they have season abruptly end but school abruptly ended as well- can’t go to class, see friends & professors on campus, etc.

Social Distancing probably good for beating viruses, but probably less so for a healthy mind.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
It would appear that the NCAA offered no guidance on this crisis. Conference leaders are laying the blame on Dan Gavitt who runs NCAA basketball operations and the NCAA basketball tournaments. He hadn't communicated with many of the conferences for weeks despite the growing alarm. Damning indictment of a lack of leadership in the offices of the NCAA.

Opinion: Basketball tournament chaos shows NCAA's fractured relationship with its own

·
Registered
76 Posts
To show how bored I've been without the tournament, I've simulated the rest of the Conference Tournaments and the NCAA Tournament to figure out how things would have gone (This is just for fun!).

I went to Whatifsports.com's College Basketball SIM Matchup feature.
Then, I went to Conference Tournaments to get the brackets and simulated all of the games on What If Sports.
Then, I went with final NCAA NET rankings to get the At-large bids to fill out the field. I used NET to rank the tournament teams and seed them, then simulated the NCAA tournament. Yes, I'm a nerd, but it was pretty fun.

With that being said, UVM beat Hartford by 15, 77-62 after racing out to a 21 point half-time lead. Not likely, but let's just go with it. UVM ended up as the top 13 seed, facing Ohio State (which seems like something the NCAA would do, to put Giddens against a former team) and lost 77-68.

North Dakota St. as a 14 seed had the biggest first round upset, beating #3 Creighton, and followed it up by beating #6 Texas Tech to make the Sweet 16. The Final Four matchups were #5 West Virginia vs #1 San Diego St. and #5 Maryland. vs #1 Duke. West Virginia defeated Maryland 83-64 for the National Championship.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Poor WVA. Cheated by fate and bad public health. Probably a fluke of programming as UVM obviously would have stomped OSU.

·
Registered
4,114 Posts
Maryland basketball transfers Makhi and Makhel Mitchell commit to Rhode Island
Makhi and Makhel Mitchell, the twin freshman forwards who left Maryland basketball in December, committed to Rhode Island, both players announced Monday.
Rhode Island, which plays in the Atlantic 10 Conference, finished 13-5 in league play last season. But this offseason, the team lost multiple contributors, including Rams starting forward Cyril Langevine, who averaged 10.1 points per game as a senior.
Maryland announced the players planned to transfer on the evening of Dec. 27, with Coach Mark Turgeon’s statement describing this as “a decision we felt was best for both sides.” The Mitchells stayed on campus during the spring semester.
The twins were recruited by former Maryland assistant Kevin Broadus, who left the program after last season to become the head coach at Morgan State.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
CBS Sports Network has been showing old NCAA games including some famous upsets.

I've watched 2008 Davidson against Gonzaga and Georgetown (Steph Curry, Andrew Lovedale, Jason Richards), and last night watched 2010 Northern Iowa (Ali Faroukmanesh, Adam Koch, Jordan Eglseder). I still have 2014 Lehigh over Duke left. I hope they pull some more out like 1997 Coppin State over South Carolina, the Dunk City games, Ohio over Georgetown ... And definitely want to see the full UVM over Syracuse parking lot game on a TV.

Any others you'd like them to show?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
Some of you may have already seen this. Not much detail out yet but story hitting the tape that Kansas was found to have committed “severe violations” and that Self was involved with Adidas.

Can‘t see how this doesn’t end with major disciplinary action on the program, particularly in light of all the other nonsense they’ve been involved with recently. Train wreck.

·
Premium Member
33,132 Posts
When the sneaker payment stuff all exploded, Kansas and many other big-time programs were mentioned. With NCAA/sports dormant I’m guessing officials have the bandwidth/time to follow-up on these claims. Going to be interesting to see which schools/coaches are followed-up with.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,714 Posts
They already beat the FBI, they're not sweating the NCAA.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have mixed feelings here
1. If these schools are violating NCAA regs and laws, they should be punished. Taking away 5 scholarships for 3 years should do it.
2. I have much less problem with athletes being paid. The revenue that KU and Duke generate, based on the talent the players bring, and the players not getting a cut seems unjust and unAmerican.
3. I honestly think that we should let players get paid, as long as they remain enrolled and make academic progress. If I wanted to pay Zion $20 million to stay another year at Duke, who is harmed? All income must be reported and academic standards should be upheld if not strengthened. Yes, all the best players will go to Duke and Kansas, but that is happening already. I doubt our happy corner of AE hoops will be affected much either way.
4. The worst scandal, IMO, by far, is what UNC (and good ol' aw shucks Roy Williams) did: creating and offering sham classes. They robbed the players of their skill and offered nothing in return. The NCAA cowardly punted. I wish accreditation would have gotten involved. I would have stripped all scholarhips for a couple years. They dropped below Duke in my most disliked teams.

181 - 200 of 201 Posts