Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Realist/A-hole
5,256 Posts
Yale is looking really, really tough. Might be better than they have been past couple of seasons, without Oni, which is interesting.
Bruner is fully healthy. Atkinson has developed nicely, and they have some nice 3 pt shooting in the backcourt. So in a nutshell they are balanced and do a lot of things very well.

·
Premium Member
32,593 Posts
Bruner is fully healthy. Atkinson has developed nicely, and they have some nice 3 pt shooting in the backcourt. So in a nutshell they are balanced and do a lot of things very well.
Azar Swain also benefitting from increased minutes available.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Watching some of Dayton pounding Virginia Tech in Maui. Assuming Kansas gets by BYU, that final tomorrow is pretty interesting. Dayton is really good, and Obi Toppin is ridiculous.

I’m also kind of intrigued by DePaul. They just went to 7-0 after getting to the CBI finals last year. That program has been down forever. It would be kind of cool to see them make a little noise in the Big East this year.

·
Registered
425 Posts
There goes Duke’s shot at an at-large.
Ha, I wish. It doesn't quite seem to work that way for blue bloods....pretty sure a Duke, UK, UNC, Mich St, etc. could go 8-25 on the season and the committee will still give them a 4-seed at worst, lol.

That's the high-major bias (even more bias when it comes to blue bloods) UVM is up against which is why its absolutely CRITICAL to have an absolutely flawless OOC season to get anything better than a 12-seed....and as noted UVM can no longer have a flawless season after Sunday.

It's not about being "immature" and hyperbolic....it's the reality of what it takes to get a decent seed when you're in as weak a conference as the AE. If some fans are content with another 13-seed--and another single-digit first-round loss--fine. Next year I'll be satisfied with that type of season; but not this year. Not in Lamb's senior and when we landed a grad transfer like Giddens. It's highly improbable UVM will have this much talent (and size) again any time soon.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Ha, I wish. It doesn't quite seem to work that way for blue bloods....pretty sure a Duke, UK, UNC, Mich St, etc. could go 8-25 on the season and the committee will still give them a 4-seed at worst, lol.

That's the high-major bias (even more bias when it comes to blue bloods) UVM is up against which is why its absolutely CRITICAL to have an absolutely flawless OOC season to get anything better than a 12-seed....and as noted UVM can no longer have a flawless season after Sunday.

It's not about being "immature" and hyperbolic....it's the reality of what it takes to get a decent seed when you're in as weak a conference as the AE. If some fans are content with another 13-seed--and another single-digit first-round loss--fine. Next year I'll be satisfied with that type of season; but not this year. Not in Lamb's senior and when we landed a grad transfer like Giddens. It's highly improbable UVM will have this much talent (and size) again any time soon.
Is it possible you are being over dramatic?

The difference between a 12 and 13 and 11 and 14 is not as big a deal as you are making it. I'd rather match up with the right team. And, as long as we aren't a 16 seed (and even as a 16 seed), I like this teams shot IF they make the tourney against almost anyone - especially when we get Shungu back who is like the Andre Iguadala from GS glory days for this team.

·
Registered
13,728 Posts

Still don't get your Giddens hype...was it the 4pts and 5rb against Rider or 4pts and 6rb against CCSU that's got you all hot and bothered. Or perhaps his 2pts and 7rb against UVA (people that look like him/athletes), I don't know...maybe it was the zero points put up against St. Johns.... I would think the hype on this kid with his atrocious offensive rating would have worn off by now but I guess not. I mean, to go in one sentence from Lamb to Giddens as if he's something to behold or that they even play the same sport is pretty entertaining. The guy for how big he is has ONE free-throw attempt this year. In terms of impact he's nearly invincible by KenPom metrics. Stop it already with Giddens, we see why he's been around more than Lindsey Lohan...When it comes to Giddens, there is very little talent, just size...who knows, maybe he'll break out and maybe he'll smack the shit out of my Danes but won't change the fact that he is what he is at this point. Large human being trying to play basketball. Ryan Davis is 10 times the basketball player Giddens is.

·
Registered
8,017 Posts
ESPN reports three players have restraining orders against them filed to protect two students at Georgetown. The players are alleged to have broken into a residence, stole items, and then threatened the victims.

Unrelatedly, their PG who was the Big East Freshman of the Year, has quit the team.

I don’t know if Patrick gets fired but this is not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Wow, yeah that’s bad. Borderline NCAA team now maybe in contention for bottom of the league.

On a more positive note, Michigan vs. Louisville and Michigan State vs. Duke tonight. The first one tips at 7:30 so may be able to catch the end of that one after AE games are over.

·
Premium Member
32,593 Posts
Virginia is getting absolutely demolished by Purdue.
Virginia’s offense/shooting has been pretty brutal to start the season, much like UVM. Only a matter of time before it caught up to them as they play more teams like them in their OOC. Personally I don’t really think they have much offensive talent this year outside a couple of players. Will be the best defensive team on the floor in just about every game they play, however.

·
Premium Member
32,593 Posts
*St. Bonaventure blew the doors off of a decent Hofstra team.

*Rider beat Bucknell by 20pts. Rider looking like it’s going to have a nice season.

*St. John’s best West Virginia. Have played a pretty light schedule but that’s a big win for them.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Maryland goes down at Penn St. as well. Penn St. a legit team is what is looking like a pretty strong league this year.

On the other end of the spectrum, how bad is Holy Cross? They lost tonight to UMass Boston.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
On the other end of the spectrum, how bad is Holy Cross? They lost tonight to UMass Boston.
That's what happens when you get a coach who uses the "we want to play up tempo" cliche in his first year on the job and has a bunch of guy who only know how to run the Princeton offense. Bob Cousy ain't walkin through that door. Where's the emergency Bill Simmons podcast?

Speaking of D3 for Vermonters, Middlebury is 9-0 and ranked 4th in the country right now. Jeff Brown is on pace to reach the 400-win mark there pretty soon. Their women's team is now pretty good and competitive now too. Make sure to give the Panthers some love, folks.

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,510 Posts
Speaking of D3 for Vermonters, Middlebury is 9-0 and ranked 4th in the country right now. Jeff Brown is on pace to reach the 400-win mark there pretty soon. Their women's team is now pretty good and competitive now too. Make sure to give the Panthers some love, folks.
You have to think UVM considers hiring him if Coach Becker moves on to another program.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts