Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
You mean, "when" Coach Becker leaves don't you?

I'm sure he'll get a look if he's interested in one, but I'd assume that Kyle has the inside track for the job. He IS the associate head coach. He knows the current players, the current systems that have served the program quite well and is plugged in to the DI recruiting pipeline. Jeff Brown is a good coach but, he's not even the best candidate for the UVM job in the state of Vermont.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
You mean, "when" Coach Becker leaves don't you?

I'm sure he'll get a look if he's interested in one, but I'd assume that Kyle has the inside track for the job. He IS the associate head coach. He knows the current players, the current systems that have served the program quite well and is plugged in to the DI recruiting pipeline. Jeff Brown is a good coach but, he's not even the best candidate for the UVM job in the state of Vermont.
Brown is also 60 or nearly 60 and been at Midd for 23 years. He's compensated quite well at Middlebury. I'm sure he's happy being where he's at, and maybe only has 5-7 years left of coaching before retirement/possibly getting an AD type role (he'd be great at UVM for that if they ever had an opening for an assistant AD). Back when Becker was hired they gave him an interview since that was right after their Final 4 run, but Corran really was only doing it to say he interviewed others. Let it be known Becker wasn't even his first choice on the staff...and that's down to sheer laziness/ignorance on Corran's part, he honestly was terrible at judging character of candidates and just wanted to go on his vacation to France, but thankfully someone (pretty sure the current AD and others) intervened and made sure the candidate he was just going to hire because "next man up" was not someone they wanted representing the school/would have had to put out some PR fires...that candidate followed Lonergan to GW so you do the math.

This time, Kyle is the guy when Becker goes. It shouldn't even take a week to fill that role.

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,510 Posts
Brown is also 60 or nearly 60 and been at Midd for 23 years. He's compensated quite well at Middlebury. I'm sure he's happy being where he's at, and maybe only has 5-7 years left of coaching before retirement/possibly getting an AD type role (he'd be great at UVM for that if they ever had an opening for an assistant AD). Back when Becker was hired they gave him an interview since that was right after their Final 4 run, but Corran really was only doing it to say he interviewed others. Let it be known Becker wasn't even his first choice on the staff...and that's down to sheer laziness/ignorance on Corran's part, he honestly was terrible at judging character of candidates and just wanted to go on his vacation to France, but thankfully someone (pretty sure the current AD and others) intervened and made sure the candidate he was just going to hire because "next man up" was not someone they wanted representing the school/would have had to put out some PR fires...that candidate followed Lonergan to GW so you do the math.

This time, Kyle is the guy when Becker goes. It shouldn't even take a week to fill that role.
I figured Kyle was going to be the 1st tier option if he stays, but I was worried Coach Becker might take his staff with him. Especially if he goes to a Power 5 school.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I figured Kyle was going to be the 1st tier option if he stays, but I was worried Coach Becker might take his staff with him. Especially if he goes to a Power 5 school.
Tibbs more than likely follows Becker if he goes. Everyone in the program would like him to take Snyder the DBO with too because he's useless and Derryck O'Grady does more work than he does, but that's doubtful because his wife is an athletic trainer. Schnieder is possible. You go to a power 5 school you need someone who can recruit to that level, there'd be someone probably left out when he moves up. Kyle has about 330,000 reasons per year to stay at UVM if he's offered the gig, don't think he turns that down.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Tibbs more than likely follows Becker if he goes. Everyone in the program would like him to take Snyder the DBO with too because he's useless and Derryck O'Grady does more work than he does, but that's doubtful because his wife is an athletic trainer. Schnieder is possible. You go to a power 5 school you need someone who can recruit to that level, there'd be someone probably left out when he moves up. Kyle has about 330,000 reasons per year to stay at UVM if he's offered the gig, don't think he turns that down.
Nor do I. His family is entrenched in Vermont basketball. I'd have to believe that his goal is to be a head coach here and then depending on his success, he may want to consider moving up if he is ever offered an opportunity. If Kyle were overlooked for the next UVM head coaching job, I'd expect he leaves with Becker.

·
Extra Spicy Takes
3,510 Posts
This is why I post on this forum. It's hard to keep track of the day to day operations when I haven't lived in Vermont since 2001. It's awesome to have people that know about these topics to provide insight.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
So back to non-America East discussion...

Was kind of fun to see 2 Top 5 and undefeated teams go down last night to unranked opponents with Texas Tech taking care of #1 Louisville and Penn State downing #4 Maryland. In addition, Baylor gave undefeated and 18th ranked Butler their first defeat down in Waco. This is really shaping up to be as wide open as I can ever remember. I mean, it has been pretty wide open the last few years but you always had at least a couple of Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan State, North Carolina etc that were always at the top. This year though there seems to be as much parity as ever and I don't really see Kansas as a dominant team despite being undefeated. I could see a very different Final Four featuring teams that aren't the traditional "blue bloods".

Speaking of Penn State, how about them this year? Barring a collapse in the Big Ten, which is possible given how competitive the league is from top to bottom, this feels like the year that Chambers' squad gets to the Big Dance and could actually win a game or 2. They have some talent and they play very hard.

Penn State's wins to date are #4 Maryland, Syracuse, Georgetown, Wake Forest, Yale, Bucknell, UMES and Wagner with their 2 losses being a drubbing by #3 Ohio State (pounding everyone they plan and looking like a Final Four team) and a 2-pt loss to Ole Miss. That at-large resume is pretty good.

·
Premium Member
32,592 Posts
Fun game between Yale and UMass. Yale wins 83-80 in OT. Think that’s a good win until you look and see Harvard beat UMass by 34pts.

Harvard/Yale/Penn battling it out in the Ivy this year will be fun. I like Harvard if it’s at full strength. Injuries to key guys has been an issue last few seasons they were hit hard and I don’t think I’ve seen Towns play this season(?)

·
Premium Member
32,592 Posts
The NESCAC will be fun. Middlebury 9-0, Colby 9-0 and Amherst will be tough this year. Not in the NESCAC, but Babson 9-0 this year also and have Crew Ainge transferred in from Utah Stars. Obviously that’s Danny Ainge’s son, their house right around the corner. Very good regional D3 hoops in New England.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Duquesne is 9-0. Their strength of schedule is really low at about 250, but still, “Duquesne is 9-0” is not a sentence I ever thought I’d type. The A10 seems like it could be kind of entertaining this year.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts