Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

141 - 160 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Seattle Mariners have announced they will not play their opening 2 series in Seattle. Moving them outside the state.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welp, so much for that.

My wife, who doesn't really cuss, said that this whole thing is f&cking ridiculous. Again, she is a nurse in a hospital. The threat does not warrant the sort of mass hysteria we are seeing right now.
Better safe than sorry. It's just sports. These are national events that people from across the country attend. Why risk introducing a relatively healthy population to sick people? China has 80,000 cases and 3,000 deaths only after they shut down their entire country, causing great harm to their economy. Other countries are shutting down to contain the spread of the virus. If it wasn't so serious, why would entire nations willingly self-inflict harsh economic damage?

As another poster said, South Korea is testing more people per-hour than the U.S. has cumulatively. If you don't take this seriously, you pose a danger to people at risk. You can get sick, and so can your loved ones. Might as well be cautious and be glad that other people are trying to take precautions as well.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Better safe than sorry. It's just sports. These are national events that people from across the country attend. Why risk introducing a relatively healthy population to sick people? China has 80,000 cases and 3,000 deaths only after they shut down their entire country, causing great harm to their economy. Other countries are shutting down to contain the spread of the virus. If it wasn't so serious, why would entire nations willingly self-inflict harsh economic damage?

As another poster said, South Korea is testing more people per-hour than the U.S. has cumulatively. If you don't take this seriously, you pose a danger to people at risk. You can get sick, and so can your loved ones. Might as well be cautious and be glad that other people are trying to take precautions as well.
Definitely a bummer (the tourney with or without UVM was going to be my vacation this year), but obviously the right thing to do. I'm youngish and relatively healthy, and while I'd probably be fine attending the tourney, it isn't just about me.

On the bright side - I can now spend my anticipated airfare on expensive craft beers while still having a staycation Thursday and Friday, and if they make it, UVM will undoubtedly have a crowd advantage - I mean no one is going to outdo Papa Patella on the hype front.

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
Anyone see anything on Patriot League Championship tonight? I imagine BU is already in Hamilton, NY and will probably go off, but just curious....

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Definitely a bummer (the tourney with or without UVM was going to be my vacation this year), but obviously the right thing to do. I'm youngish and relatively healthy, and while I'd probably be fine attending the tourney, it isn't just about me.

On the bright side - I can now spend my anticipated airfare on expensive craft beers while still having a staycation Thursday and Friday, and if they make it, UVM will undoubtedly have a crowd advantage - I mean no one is going to outdo Papa Patella on the hype front.
Similar here. I’m rolling with the punches as long as they don’t close the beer stores.

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
Better safe than sorry. It's just sports.
Yes...and no, too. Personally, sports are more than "just sports" for me. NCAA Tournament is easily my favorite sporting event on the planet, so I feel this.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
BU knocks off Colgate 64-61 to win Patriot League. Helps UVM!
It may not matter at this point, but I’m saying it anyway...I’m glad for both Joe and James Jones. It’s really too bad they may not get to experience the tournament together, but they have always come across as two really quality guys who run programs the right way.

And with that, I’m going to crack an IPA and watch what might be the last basketball games of the year. I really hope not but the momentum is pretty clear.

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
Joe Jones seems like a great guy. See him running on Comm Ave, BU Bridge & Memorial Drive all the time. Think he runs a solid program and is a darn good coach. Not a BU fan obviously, but big win for him over Colgate.

·
Realist/A-hole
5,712 Posts
Wait.....does this mean Bucknell didn't win?

·
Premium Member
33,129 Posts
Wait.....does this mean Bucknell didn't win?
No, Bucknell lost to BU in semis by 3. Great game, was there with LaPhonso Ellis.

Bucknell did beat Colgate on 2/26; could have seen Bucknell winning this. Great guards, just not enough in front court.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
The NCAA has been talking about moving the Final Four from Atlanta and moving it to a smaller facility.

But yeah, I can't imagine the tournament takes place at this point.

·
Registered
14,156 Posts
The NCAA has been talking about moving the Final Four from Atlanta and moving it to a smaller facility.

But yeah, I can't imagine the tournament takes place at this point.
Agreed... NBA suspending play will be the death knell for the tourney. I'll be shocked if this isn't done tomorrow.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
No, Bucknell lost to BU in semis by 3. Great game, was there with LaPhonso Ellis.

Bucknell did beat Colgate on 2/26; could have seen Bucknell winning this. Great guards, just not enough in front court.
You're going to have to at least explain a bit of this name drop, my guy. How you know LaPhonso Ellis?

141 - 160 of 201 Posts