Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost couldn't enjoy watching the games this weekend because of him. He actually believes that he knows what the players are thinking. And he presents such statements as fact. Just about everything good that happens on the court is because of the coaches, and everything bad is because of the players. He believes he is the moral authority on what could and should happen on a basketball court, and believes that it is his duty to assign blame for everything that happens on the court. On top of this, he's totally biased for a particular team. During the Louisville Illinois game you would have thought that Louisville was winning (until they broke it open w/ 8 minutes to go) despite the fact that Illinois was ahead for all but one minute of the game. I ****ing hate Billy Packard.

And this doesn't even go into the fact that he is a paid representative for the coach's association.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Packer has never really bothered me too much. At least not as much as Vitale. At least they don't have Brent Musberger anymore. He's my all-time least favorite sports guy. Nantz is much beter than him

Anyone watch the womens games last night? Two great games. Both teams came back from 15 points or more down, and it's great to see some new blood in the Womens Final Four. Michigan State is pretty fun to watch.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
schub said:
Packer has never really bothered me too much. At least not as much as Vitale. At least they don't have Brent Musberger anymore. He's my all-time least favorite sports guy. Nantz is much beter than him
I used to really hate Brent, but we've worked out our differences over the past couple of years. Vitale I don't mind, because despite his many proclamations, he doesn't take himself seriously, so I don't mind it. Packard seems to really believe his word is the only word.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
Packer is on my list of volume off announcers/analysts. I can't point to any one specific incident because it was a culmination of years of getting worse and worse. On the other hand, I could listen to Jimmy ***** analyze games all day long.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
Raftery/Lundquist and Johnson/Elmore for me. Also I like Kevin Harlan back when he was with Jon Sundvold. Sean McDonough, also does a terrific job with Raftery too.

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
schub said:
I will say that Raftery should be CBS' #1 color guy.
Raf is great, but sometimes he sticks too much to the schtick. I remember one game where a team opened up in a zone defense, but Raf still had to get in his man2man call. So he says, "...opens up man2man (long pause) with zone principles"

·
Volleyball Coach
24,902 Posts
HKF said:
Raftery/Lundquist and Johnson/Elmore for me. Also I like Kevin Harlan back when he was with Jon Sundvold. Sean McDonough, also does a terrific job with Raftery too.
Gus & Len are a great pair. As an aside, does anybody else remember Craig Kilborne doing college hoops back when he worked for ESPN?

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
I also like Eagle/Spanarkel, because they are a terrific duo and they are always around upsets like Gus Johnson for some reason. I was so surprised when Yes let go Jim for Tripuka. Bad trade IMO.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Yep, too cocky for my taste. He's screwed up names etc, but never admits it. It's like his keys to the game is the bible. Never liked him, too bad CBS does and well unfortunately we'll have a full night of him.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
schub said:
I will say that Raftery should be CBS' #1 color guy.
I love Raf as well, and would personally love it if he was the #1 guy, but he's too goofy, IMO, for the bigwigs to ever make him #1. I just can't see the corporate head honcho types going for him.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Krstic All Star said:
Packard almost makes me long for the dulcet tones of Steven A. Smith.... What a dope
I want to positive rep you for this, but I have lost this ability. So instead.

:banana: :cheers: :banana:

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you hate Billy Packer root for Illinois tonite.

Packer has been depressed ever since Duke lost and only a national championship by another ACC team will get him out of his funk.

He is a know it all who can't admit when he is wrong, kind of like a more arrogant Joe theisman.

Spanarkel is a GREAT color guy but with no schtick he has little chance of rising in the industry.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another thing about Packard is that he's got absolutely no chemistry w/ his play by play guy. He just inserts his comments from on high when he deems fit. No banter, no personality, no nothing.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
You guys aren't the only ones...Packer was booed loudly at the MCI Center when he received some kind of award during the ACC Tournament last month.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One on One said:
You guys aren't the only ones...Packer was booed loudly at the MCI Center when he received some kind of award during the ACC Tournament last month.
All right!!!! That's what I like to hear!!!!

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I also have to watch games in mute because of the guy. He's annoying enough just on his own, but he's also got this personal vendetta against SU, which makes it even more annoying (huge Orange fan).

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Match made in Hell: Packer and Torico.

Packer is the only color man who talks more thatn the play by play man! Nance can barely get a word in. His job is to tell you what is happening and why. All he does is tell coach K who to bring in and Roy Williams made a bad match up. Forever coaching and criticizing. I don't remember him coaching anyone anywhere. You ever notice how the former coaches never criticize..because they know that unless you are in that huddle, you have no idea what the coach is setting up! Packer has made me change the channel!!

Torico is forever telling background like the whole audience is women who know nothing. "Yao makes a basket... For those of you who don't know, Yao Ming is from China, he played for shanghai......while the game is still going!!! And everytime Kobe got the ball, he is talking about court cases. Who doesn't know this??? Explaining and telling......Just call the game please!!! or shut up!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts