Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

OT Are there any James Bond fans

829 views 47 replies 9 participants last post by  GB 
#1 ·
Did anyone realize that Never Say Never Again and Thunderball are the exact same movie? I thought that was strange. Does anyone know the story behind this?

#2 ·
I'm a huge Bond fan and I wouldn't say they were the "exact same movie". They clearly have very similar plot lines though. If you really enjoy Bond, I reccomend reading the books, I have read several of them in the past and find them enjoyable.

#3 ·
Originally posted by <b>ace20004u</b>!
I'm a huge Bond fan and I wouldn't say they were the "exact same movie". They clearly have very similar plot lines though. If you really enjoy Bond, I reccomend reading the books, I have read several of them in the past and find them enjoyable.
ACE, Im going to start picking up the books. I watched Thunderball last night and then on my portable DVD player watched Never Say Never Again as i was coming back on a meeting. Its basically the same movie. Largo is the bad guy, Domino is his mistress. I wonder why they would do that.

THis next movie is Brosnans last Bond. I hear they are going to give Aussie actor Hugh Jackman the part. But I think they would be better served going with someone else. Thoughts?

#4 ·
Originally posted by <b>rlucas4257</b>!

ACE, Im going to start picking up the books. I watched Thunderball last night and then on my portable DVD player watched Never Say Never Again as i was coming back on a meeting. Its basically the same movie. Largo is the bad guy, Domino is his mistress. I wonder why they would do that.

THis next movie is Brosnans last Bond. I hear they are going to give Aussie actor Hugh Jackman the part. But I think they would be better served going with someone else. Thoughts?
Cool, I'm sure you will like them. Yeah, it does seem that the two movies were extremely similar. The villians were the same the basic plot was the same. I have no idea why they would do that. It seems I do recall that they had to coax Sean Connery to do that one though so maybe that has some bearing on it. Honestly it has been years since I have seen an older Bond movie, after all, I watched probably every one of the bond movies like 10 times when I was younger.

I have watched the new Bond movies but they just don't seem as good as the old ones. I liked the direction the last movie started taking the franchise though. I didn't know this was going to be Bronsan's last movie. Personally I would prefer to keep him in it. Jackman is pretty talented though. Did you know he is doing some off broadway musical or something? So at least he is versatile.

While we are on the subject, you are English I think aren't you? You may also enjoy some of Jack Higgins books, I really enjoy the Sean Dillon character.

#5 ·

Cool, I'm sure you will like them. Yeah, it does seem that the two movies were extremely similar. The villians were the same the basic plot was the same. I have no idea why they would do that. It seems I do recall that they had to coax Sean Connery to do that one though so maybe that has some bearing on it. Honestly it has been years since I have seen an older Bond movie, after all, I watched probably every one of the bond movies like 10 times when I was younger.

I have watched the new Bond movies but they just don't seem as good as the old ones. I liked the direction the last movie started taking the franchise though. I didn't know this was going to be Bronsan's last movie. Personally I would prefer to keep him in it. Jackman is pretty talented though. Did you know he is doing some off broadway musical or something? So at least he is versatile.

While we are on the subject, you are English I think aren't you? You may also enjoy some of Jack Higgins books, I really enjoy the Sean Dillon character.
I am an American living in London. I am going to look for the Higgins books. Anyone in particular I should focus on?

I like Jackman, but the last time an Aussie was Bond, it didnt work. I cant remember the guys name but it lasted just one movie (The Majestys Secret Service). When you get a chance, put in Thunderball and Never Say Never Again. Its kind of weird that they would do a remake with Connery playing himself.

I thought the next Bond would be Jude Law. But he might still be too young for it. Im with you, the old Bond movies were great. I even liked the guy before Brosnan. My alltime favorite is From Russia With Love

#7 ·

I am an American living in London. I am going to look for the Higgins books. Anyone in particular I should focus on?

I like Jackman, but the last time an Aussie was Bond, it didnt work. I cant remember the guys name but it lasted just one movie (The Majestys Secret Service). When you get a chance, put in Thunderball and Never Say Never Again. Its kind of weird that they would do a remake with Connery playing himself.

I thought the next Bond would be Jude Law. But he might still be too young for it. Im with you, the old Bond movies were great. I even liked the guy before Brosnan. My alltime favorite is From Russia With Love
I've read a bunch of the Jack Higgins books and the titles kind of run together after a while. The best ones are the ones where Dillon is the hero. There were a couple of older ones where Dillon was still part of the IRA if memory serves me right. I think drink with the devil was a good one. I don't know how diverse your reading tastes are but I just finished another book by Bentley Little called The Store that I highly reccomend.

The guy your thinking of is George Lazenby and I actually thought he did a great job as Bond, unfortunately the plot for the movie was a lil screwy.

I actually liked Roger Moore a lot as Bond too but I know most people didn't. Octo***** was one of my favorites. I also loved Dr. No, the beginning of the franchise.

#9 ·
Jude Law would make for a nice change of pace in the Bond series. He's a fantastic actor as well, and his wife gets naked a lot.

#12 ·
i liked Moore as well. in fact I liked them all. Favorite Bond girl might have been the actress who played Octo***** herself (also was in the Man with the Golden Gun). I must say Honor Blackman (***** Galore) was great. But the greatest ever was the first one. Ursula Andress. A couple of Bond movies ago, there was a 5 minute scene with a blond chick that went nowhere. She was teaching Bond danish at Oxford. It was the one where the Rupert Murdock media tycoon was trying to take over the world. SHe was the hottest modern day Bond chick, even though she was basically a cameo.

I like all sorts of reading. I read all the clancy books, loved the Da Vinci code (the best book i have ever read), etc. I will look into those 2 books. i am winding down the James Carville political rant now but after that I need a good one. thanks for the recommendations.

#13 ·
i liked Moore as well. in fact I liked them all. Favorite Bond girl might have been the actress who played Octo***** herself (also was in the Man with the Golden Gun). I must say Honor Blackman (***** Galore) was great. But the greatest ever was the first one. Ursula Andress. A couple of Bond movies ago, there was a 5 minute scene with a blond chick that went nowhere. She was teaching Bond danish at Oxford. It was the one where the Rupert Murdock media tycoon was trying to take over the world. SHe was the hottest modern day Bond chick, even though she was basically a cameo.

I like all sorts of reading. I read all the clancy books, loved the Da Vinci code (the best book i have ever read), etc. I will look into those 2 books. i am winding down the James Carville political rant now but after that I need a good one. thanks for the recommendations.
RLucas, you're a smart guy. If you liked the Da Vinci Code, you might love Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. That guy is brilliant, and the book was fascinating, if a tad over my head. Similar topic, except Eco is one of the world's great intellectuals.

#15 ·

Your welcome. I'm an avid reader too but I haven't read the Davinci Code yet, I have heard enough about it that I really ought to pick it up. Initially I thought it was going to be a Screwtape Letter sort of thing and I don't want anything too depressing lol! My favorite author is Dean Koontz, as an aspiring author I try to emulate his style a lot. If you do get any of the books I have suggested be sure to let me know what you think. I will let you know after I read the Davinci Code as well.

It's been a lot of fun talking Bond....James Bond. Hopefully we will have something really good to talk about once the new movie comes out. Incidentally, the games on PS2 are excellent also.

#16 ·
Re: jason isaacs

Originally posted by <b>Tom</b>!
i think this guy would be a great bond...he has the look and is a very good actor

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&id=1800024695&cf=pg&photoid=40130&intl=us
im with VV on this. It should be Law. Law by the way got divorced and is dating a chick by the name of Sienna Miller. Apparently Sienna Miller used to live 3 houses down from me but moved out shortly after I moved in (maybe I got rid of her?). She was a character on a FOX show this summer that bombed. The show was called Eddie soemthing or other. That chick is seriously hot.

Tom, the guy you mentioned is a great actor. but he is pretty much type cast as a villan. But he is a great great actor.

#17 ·
Originally posted by <b>numlock</b>!
George Lazenby was the man

rlucas you obviously live in london and ive seen you mention manchester united and ajax you follow soccer/european football?
Yep. I live in Berkeley Square in London. I have a season pass to Arsenal. They are my team above everyone else. I love Ajax. And I am kind of a closet ManU and Chelsea supporter. I root for the English teams to do well. i always root against the Italian teams. But I wont get into that here. Nothing bad

#18 ·
Originally posted by <b>Darius Miles Davis</b>!

RLucas, you're a smart guy. If you liked the Da Vinci Code, you might love Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. That guy is brilliant, and the book was fascinating, if a tad over my head. Similar topic, except Eco is one of the world's great intellectuals.

Thanks DMD. I will buy this book. Religious history is a huge interest of mine. I would recommend Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh and Henry Lincoln. This was the book that provided most of the info for the Da Vinci Code. Damn, that book has been #1 for 47 weeks on the NY Times best seller list

Speaking of the Da Vinci Code, I cant wait til that movie comes out. Should be interesting to see who they will cast. But Sophie Marceau should be a shoo-in for the french woman in this movie.

#19 ·

Your welcome. I'm an avid reader too but I haven't read the Davinci Code yet, I have heard enough about it that I really ought to pick it up. Initially I thought it was going to be a Screwtape Letter sort of thing and I don't want anything too depressing lol! My favorite author is Dean Koontz, as an aspiring author I try to emulate his style a lot. If you do get any of the books I have suggested be sure to let me know what you think. I will let you know after I read the Davinci Code as well.

It's been a lot of fun talking Bond....James Bond. Hopefully we will have something really good to talk about once the new movie comes out. Incidentally, the games on PS2 are excellent also.

Ace, do yourself a favor and pick up the Da Vinci Code. It is as clever and smart a book as youll ever read. I got started and literally finished it the next day. Its a very easy book to read. I 100% guarantee youll love it. Nothing depressing about it

#20 ·

Ace, do yourself a favor and pick up the Da Vinci Code. It is as clever and smart a book as youll ever read. I got started and literally finished it the next day. Its a very easy book to read. I 100% guarantee youll love it. Nothing depressing about it
I am officially putting it on my list. My fiance has been reading some series of religious books dealing with revelations but I don't recall the name. There are like 12 books in the series I think. I might start reading that when she finishes too.

#21 ·

I am officially putting it on my list. My fiance has been reading some series of religious books dealing with revelations but I don't recall the name. There are like 12 books in the series I think. I might start reading that when she finishes too.
dont make me send you my copy of the Da Vinci Code. Bump that SOB to the top of your list. Its well worth it.

#23 ·
Originally posted by <b>TomBoerwinkle#1</b>!
We're getting way OT on a James Bond thread.

But before we return to regularly scheduled programming, from the recommendations about religious history books floating around here, you guys would probably enjoy Deus Lo Volt, a very interesting fictional account of the Crusades. Good reading.
I have 4 solid books to look for from this list. Thanks Mr Boerwinkle. I will take a look

#24 ·

dont make me send you my copy of the Da Vinci Code. Bump that SOB to the top of your list. Its well worth it.
lol! Well, just let me finish the library books I have now and I will make sure to get it! Thanks for the tip, I had heard it was good but coming from you I know it must be very good.

#25 ·

lol! Well, just let me finish the library books I have now and I will make sure to get it! Thanks for the tip, I had heard it was good but coming from you I know it must be very good.

best book i have ever read. #1 for 47 weeks on the NY TImes. I think its a must read. movie comes out in 05 so read it before then

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.