Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wants to go to a contender

"After talking with Baron and evaluating what the Hornets organization has been doing this offseason, I'm concerned with Baron's current status and his future with the team," Todd Ramasar, Davis' agent, told USA TODAY. "Baron was really disappointed with them losing the first round of the playoffs. I want to put him in the position where he can contend for a title or at least be in a position where he can reach the NBA Finals."

Does that rule us out?

Do we need him?

Can we make a deal?

Baron makes $12.33 mil this year :D
some of their other big $ players are...
Mashburn makes $9.33 mil
PJ Brown $8.33 mil
Magloire makes $6mil

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They trade a PG they will need a PG

We need a backup PF, and I think PJ would still be better than Rahim. PJ is relentless and just a tough hombre'. Davis West could be a good backup PF for us

They have a SF who is injury prone in Mashburn. They coudl use a better SF. Ruben could interest them, but not as an all star obviously. Ruben hustles and is healthy, and could maybe start ahead of Mashburn.

They have a good frontline. Magloire and Brown have alawys been tough.

I am not so sure we are good trading partners, but they may make an excellant three team partner. Maybe with Seattle, or Toronto, or ?

I could see NO going one for one with Vince Carter for Baron

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I don't know if NO would go for this but it works money wise according to RealGM so it can be a decent starting point.

Portland trades:

PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim
(16.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 31.6 minutes)
PG Damon Stoudamire
(13.4 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 6.1 apg in 38.0 minutes)
SG Ruben Patterson
(7.0 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.9 apg in 22.6 minutes)

Portland receives:

PG Baron Davis
(22.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 7.5 apg in 40.1 minutes)
SF Jamal Mashburn
(20.8 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 2.5 apg in 38.4 minutes)
PF PJ Brown
(10.4 ppg, 8.6 rpg, 1.9 apg in 34.4 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +17.4 ppg, +4.1 rpg, and +1.9 apg.

New Orleans trades:

PG Baron Davis
SF Jamal Mashburn
PF PJ Brown

New Orleans receives:

PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim
(16.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 85 games)
PG Damon Stoudamire
(13.4 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 6.1 apg in 82 games)
SG Ruben Patterson
(7.0 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.9 apg in 73 games)

Change in team outlook: -17.4 ppg, -4.1 rpg, and -1.9 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Portland and New Orleans being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Portland and New Orleans had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I think if POR wanted Baron Davis, they would have to trade Zach Randolph to do it.

Zach Randolph and Damon Stoudamire

for

Baron Davis and David West

That would be the cleanest trade b\t the two teams. However, I think that POR would prefer to expand the deal to include Ruben Pattersen (1st choice) or Derek Anderson (probale choice) in an expanded deal for PJ Brown or a Lynch\Armstrong combination.

I think a future backcourt of Baron Davis, Sebastian Telfair backcourt could work. It would be undersized, but I think POR frontline of Miles, SAR\West & Theo could help offset that. At present POR would still have Derek Anderson at SG & NVE as a 6th man type\combo guard. In the future POR would have a Sergei Monia perhaps to offer as a big guard option, or Qyntel Woods if the light ever turns on, or another player through the draft, a bigger combo guard like a Julius Hodge (6'6) or Roko Ukic (6'5), or a more pure SG type with size (to replace DA) like a Rudy Fernandez (6'6), Kennedy Winston (6'6) or Fransisco Garcia (6'8).

IF, in the future you had a backcourt of a Baron Davis (as a SG), Sebastian Telfair (as a PG) and then Sergei Monia (a defensive SG with size )and let's say a Julius Hodge (a PG\SG combo) as your primary backups, then I think it could definitely work. Just some food for thought.

I have always liked Baron Davis game, the real question is can a backcourt of Davis and Telfair be successfuil in the future? I think it could be.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I would do that trade MJG, losing Ruben makes it worth considering. Although, gaining back a young PF in the deal would be nice & preferable. As SAR is a FA next year, and PJ Brown has 1yr left, and is creeping up there in age.

But having said that next years draft looks to be strong at PF, and SAR could always be dealt at\near the reade deadline for a younger PF.

·
Registered
853 Posts
no way!!!

we already have our PG of the future and not even that far distant of the future either...i see portland assembling a nice group of players for a title run 5 or so years down the line

telfair...monia...woods...outlaw...khryapa...miles...randolph...ratliff (in his twilight)

all we need is a young pure shooter at SG (if Monia doesnt pan out, but if the blazers honestly feel that he is starting caliber than we dont need one after all) and a tough hard nosed defensive minded center to replace theo when he retires...the point guard, small forward, and power forward positions are all locked in and taken care of now Nash and Patterson need to turn towards acquiring a SG or grooming Sergei and either trading for or drafting a young center to learn under theo in his remaining 4-6 years of playing he has left (i am concerned about Seung-Jin and Sinanovic's true NBA capability and future due to their being taken on pure chance that they will "maybe" be good...i would much rather theo spend his time mentoring a somewhat proven commodity like for example this past draft's David Harrison or Emeka Okafor obviously neither is currently available to us and we had no chance at landing emeka I am purely using them as examples as to the type of experienced college level centers that theo could really benefit with his teaching and knowledge)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Davis didn't name a specific team he would like to play for but Ramasar said that his client would be a good fit with teams such as New York, Phoenix, the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami.
Anyone else think that Baron Davis needs a new agent? His current one seems to not know **** about the NBA. If Baron wants to back up Stephon, Nash, or Wade (assuming he stays at PG), then I guess those are all nice places for him to go to.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Re: Yao gets a backup ???

Except for not remebering that Mutumbo was on the Bulls, this was the most interesting part to me:

"I have considered this deal to be imminent for about a month," his agent, Bill Neff, said. "In the last week, Carroll Dawson asked me not to sign Mike Wilks with someone else. If it was anybody but Carroll Dawson, I would probably ignore them. Mike Wilks will not be an issue."

·
Registered
460 Posts
As long as Houston doesn't expect too much from him, Mutumbo should be a good fit there with only a few minutes a game...

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by <b>gambitnut</b>!
Portland trades:

PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim
(16.3 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 2.0 apg in 31.6 minutes)
PG Damon Stoudamire
(13.4 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 6.1 apg in 38.0 minutes)
SG Ruben Patterson
(7.0 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 1.9 apg in 22.6 minutes)

Portland receives:

PG Baron Davis
SF Jamal Mashburn
PF PJ Brown

Change in team outlook: +17.4 ppg, +4.1 rpg, and +1.9 apg.
I was thinking along those lines

swapping PG
swapping SF. Mashburn becomes our backup SF when he is healthy
swap PJ for Rahim... PJ becomes backup. But will he be good with that? He is a pretty good player. Might start wanting to start really bad. He could also get some PT at C.

It does not bring us our premium Shooter, but that is a good trade for us... and we still have NVE, Woods and Stepania coming off the books still

NO gets 2 huge expiring contracts that they can use in the FA market next year... they get rid of a great player and a injury prone one and a very good PF

They are at around $65 mil now.... dropping $31 mil off their total my renouncing both Damon and Rahim puts them into the FA market in 2005. But it only gives them about $10-11 mil to sign one major player of their choice

I just do not see them giving up Baron and PJ

You also got to remember although Baron is a good assist and defensive PG, he takes a large volume of shots if I remember right. He may disrupt Zach's volume shooting bit

1 - 13 of 13 Posts